U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2015, 12:37 PM

1,961 posts, read 1,560,191 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by airjay75 View Post
Hi there. New to the dog forum here. I have a senior male dog - around 12 years old, although we can't be sure since he was rescued from a shelter. In the past few weeks, he has developed some urinary incontinence issues - mostly while sleeping. After a urine test, a blood test, a round of antibiotics, and an x-ray, we have decided with our vet to try putting him on Proin - 25 mg twice a day. Just started last night. Of course, I started googling the drug to find out information this morning, and I've stumbled across websites where owners claim their dog was doing well until they went on Proin and then their dog suddenly died. My inclination is to think most of those people are in the grieving process and wanting to blame something for the death of their dog, so the Proin is an easy enough thing to blame, but who knows. Most mainstream veterinary sites tend to assert that it's a pretty safe drug. I also know he's an older dog and so our time with him could be limited. At the same time, he otherwise appears to be very energetic and healthy. He has not lost his appetite, he enjoys playing with our new puppy that we've had a couple of months, and he still loves his 4-5 mile walks I take him on.

At any rate, just thought I would see if any others have experiences to share about treating urinary incontinence in their dogs with Proin, particularly if that dog was a senior male dog. I know it's a more common problem with female dogs, and I'd appreciate hearing from anyone who would like to share.
Take him to a good chiropractic veterinarian. It's possible that an adjustment may resolve his leaking. Urinary and Fecal Incontinence in Pets

I am a Medical Technologist so I come from a traditional medical background and was always very leery of alternative therapies. Until a chiropractic vet immediately fixed the hot spot my dog was obsessively licking...which my excellent traditional vet had attempted to resolve using many different approaches, eventually suggesting Prozac since he felt it was now behavioral...with one quick adjustment. She explained that the misalignment of her spine in her hip area was pressing on a nerve and that nerve pressure was causing a buzzing at the location of the hot spot. I was shocked! My dog immediately stopped licking the hot spot. She licked it once later that night at which point I gently told her "uh-uh" and she never licked it again.

My chiro vet has since resolved two serious medical issues in two of my dogs (IBD and amyloidosis) that my traditional vet...who I very much like and who thankfully appreciates my chiro vet's assistance...has been unable to or unable to without costly interventions and/or drugs with undesirable side effects. She has also resolved lameness issues in my competition agility dogs enabling them to live long, pain-free, athletic lives. She is an expert in TCM (Traditional Chinese Medicine) so has used herbs in combination with acupuncture and chiropractic on my dogs. Even my whirling dervish, high drive Aussie lay calmly for the needles as my chiro vet explained that usually the dogs realize and accept what is helping them. Again I was shocked.

The horse world has accepted and used acupuncture and chiropractic for many, many years. There can be no placebo effect with animals as there can be with humans so if the issue resolves that is clear evidence. My traditional medical brain was convinced after being assaulted with such evidence.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2015, 12:59 PM

1,961 posts, read 1,560,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by youngk267 View Post
Meds arent needed. my boxer had kidney failure in april and she got over that and a month later she starting leaking urine while she slept. i tried everything for 2 months and then accidently stumbled on coconut oil. i gave her a teaspoon a day and she hasnt leaked at all and it has been 2 weeks. i give it to her every other day now just to make sure it doesnt happen again and she loves eating it.
Since CO is a strong natural anti-viral, anti-bacterial it can resolve urinary incontinence due to a urinary tract infection. We can see UTIs in renal failure patients, depending on the cause, thus the CO may have resolved a UTI for your dog. Nice.

It's a stretch to claim that meds are not needed, though. Every case is different and CO cannot resolve all causes of urinary incontinence.

Coconut oil is indeed a fabulous supplement for all around increased health and vitality. DogAware.com Articles: Oils (Natural Dog Magazine)

Old 12-14-2015, 01:32 PM

1 posts, read 875 times
Thsi is an interesting solution. Is it still continuing to work for you? How large is your dog and what type of coconut oil do you use? Is she an older dog?

Old 12-17-2015, 07:30 PM

333 posts, read 685,916 times
Default Our hound Floyd had the same thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by airjay75 View Post
Hi there. New to the dog forum here. I have a senior male dog - around 12 years old, although we can't be sure since he was rescued from a shelter. In the past few weeks, he has developed some urinary incontinence issues - mostly while sleeping. After a urine test, a blood test, a round of antibiotics, and an x-ray, we have decided with our vet to try putting him on Proin - 25 mg twice a day. Just started last night. Of course, I started googling the drug to find out information this morning, and I've stumbled across websites where owners claim their dog was doing well until they went on Proin and then their dog suddenly died. My inclination is to think most of those people are in the grieving process and wanting to blame something for the death of their dog, so the Proin is an easy enough thing to blame, but who knows. Most mainstream veterinary sites tend to assert that it's a pretty safe drug. I also know he's an older dog and so our time with him could be limited. At the same time, he otherwise appears to be very energetic and healthy. He has not lost his appetite, he enjoys playing with our new puppy that we've had a couple of months, and he still loves his 4-5 mile walks I take him on.

At any rate, just thought I would see if any others have experiences to share about treating urinary incontinence in their dogs with Proin, particularly if that dog was a senior male dog. I know it's a more common problem with female dogs, and I'd appreciate hearing from anyone who would like to share.

Hi airjay. We found/adopted our hound dog off of the Blue Ridge of southern Virginia and he had the same thing you're talking about.

We got pee Bands for him at Petco that we could strap around his middle to prevent him peeing inside the house (where we had him and our other pups during the day while we were at work). We took his Band off him when we got home and he still hunted around our property as ever. He's passed on since, but was a happy bud.

Old 09-06-2017, 07:40 AM

1 posts, read 508 times
I have a 14yr old male Australian Silkie Terrier, Jacke, who is up 4 times a night to go. Many times he seems not to be able to do what he needs to do. His poop is solid and pees OK but not a long a pee as he used to do. No apparent leaking. However, since Proin had worked on our 14 yr female leaking Cocopoo, we tried Proin on Jacke. No apparent help. Still gets up frequently and often is not able to do what he needs to do. He eventually is able to do his thing, either pee or poop. He has started having occassional body tremors but vet has not been able to diagnose. Any similar circumstances?

Old 09-06-2017, 11:24 AM

8,131 posts, read 11,038,023 times
My 22 yrs old FEMALE is thriving on Proin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or