Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2014, 10:22 AM

1,373 posts, read 2,957,158 times

Advertisements

K so outside one of my parking spots is a patch of grass. I can park my car there. But I already have a closed garage so my car is barely ever there.
I have observed several people who let their dogs poop on my flowers and this patch of grass. Today this woman was walking her dog, I see the dog squating ready to poop, I go outside and stand on the balcony & look at her. She does not pull her dog to drag it away. My son says dont do that before I could even say anything myself to her. Since my son was in the vicinity I let the whole thing go.

How can I handle this? I'm hesitant to put cayenne pepper I know it would deter but its rather too obvious & I dont want people throwing rocks at me.

It seems unfair to me that you leave your own yard just to get your dog to poop in mines. They are not even going for genuine walks, its a ploy to get the dog to poop in front of other peoples properties. Or should I just get over it & whiff their noses with cayenne?

I have asked people to stop but its too many to take on I no longer want to tell them to stop yet still want them to.

Last edited by angrymillionaire; 04-01-2014 at 10:35 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2014, 10:49 AM

4,876 posts, read 4,201,145 times
Another poster on here once suggested putting up small signs. I think it's a good idea. Either asking folks to walk their dogs elsewhere or at least picking up whatever the dog leaves behind.

I think if I had the problem and could afford it, I'd put up one of those bag dispensers with a sign. LOL

Durable Pet & Dog Waste Bags - Strongest On The Market!

Old 04-01-2014, 10:57 AM

986 posts, read 1,864,727 times
Do you know where this person, or people, live? If so, I'd write a note and put it in their mailboxes, kindly asking them to pick up after their dogs. If you don't know where they live, you could put up a sign or just politely ask them to pick up after their dog next time you see them out there.

Old 04-01-2014, 11:22 AM

148 posts, read 262,910 times
My (thankfully former) a-hole neighbors used to just open up their front door (to their URBAN apartment) and let their Labs go running loose through the neighborhood to do their business. I lived two houses down from them and was always having to dodge (sometimes unsuccessfully) or pick up LARGE Labrador-sized poos in my front yard, I took one of said poos that I had WATCHED their dog take and scooped it up in a plastic grocery bag and sort of put it on their doorstep with a note (kinda stuck down in the poo) saying "this belongs to you" and then I walked away. I always saw them with poo bags after that and shortly thereafter, they moved....hopefully to somewhere where they could take better care of their dogs.

Old 04-01-2014, 11:28 AM

4,761 posts, read 14,282,203 times
1. Dogs will not poop where they eat. Put out food for the dogs where they are pooping - maybe doggie treats or whatever. (I did the opposite - fed them in every room of my house so they would have nowhere else to go but outside!)

2. Put up signs saying "No dogs please!"

3. Put up a tombstone shaped sign with a dog sized mound of dirt in front of it. The tombstone reads, "Here lies the last dog which pooped in my yard".

4. Leaving dog poop in a yard is considered "littering" in my area - against the law. Follow the offender home and call the police on them. Even better if you install a video camera and record it.

5. These are expensive, but have signs and plastic bags for poop collection (for parks)...

Dogipot Pet Station - GEMPLER'S

More...

Parks and Recreation Supplies and Equipment | GEMPLER'S

Old 04-01-2014, 11:38 AM

19,499 posts, read 9,528,287 times
I've seen some signs with the dog squatting and the universal "NO" circle with / through it that you can probably order off-line or in a pet store, but I can't recall which one at the moment. Maybe get one of those and put it in the area where you neighbor likes to direct their dog to do the business?

Maybe, go to them, if you know who it is and ask them what gives. It's pretty rude to do that without picking up after one's dog imo. We have a neighbor (before fences went up) that always let their dogs roam all over the neighborhood and would often do their business in our yard. We would fling it back. One time, I got a good price on that pooper scooper that a teen invented. Bought 2 and gave them one. Hint, hint. In a major way. This family was dense though and just plain disrespectful - period.
They're the kind that if you gave them an inch, they'd take mile. That's what I got for "trying" to be nice.
More crap.

I hope your neighbors, turn out a little bit better after you're done with them

Old 04-01-2014, 11:54 AM

14,376 posts, read 18,364,716 times
Just bought some low wire garden fencing for an area where I don't want the dogs pooping. We'll see how it works.

Old 04-01-2014, 12:02 PM

2,288 posts, read 3,237,277 times
Can you enclose that area with that pretty low plastic fencing? Not only would it look good, is very cheap, but most dogs wont want to go over it. You can get it at wally world for just a few bucks a foot or so. I use it around my garden just for its looks.

Old 04-01-2014, 12:21 PM

13,887 posts, read 13,666,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKiwi View Post
Do you know where this person, or people, live? If so, I'd write a note and put it in their mailboxes, kindly asking them to pick up after their dogs. If you don't know where they live, you could put up a sign or just politely ask them to pick up after their dog next time you see them out there.
Putting notes in mailboxes is a federal offense. Not as bad as dogs pooping everywhere, but still, a federal offense.

People who let their dogs crap aren't going to pay attention to notes, anyway. Maybe putting a sign just off their property with an arrow pointing toward their house and the sign saying: "I let my dogs poop on public property and lawns belonging to other people!" might do the trick.

IF these people are so-called professional dog walkers, I would likely ask Animal Control to contact them. Take a picture of the offending dog doing the deed for evidence. Report them for possible tax evasion. Or take out an ad in the local newspaper.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy_J View Post

3. Put up a tombstone shaped sign with a dog sized mound of dirt in front of it. The tombstone reads, "Here lies the last dog which pooped in my yard".
Excellent!!!

Old 04-01-2014, 12:47 PM

1,373 posts, read 2,957,158 times
Thanks for your replies. Today I was buffled. I had a woman LET her dog right in front of my eyes. She clearly saw me sitting on my balcony.

Other day I had a teenage boy who let his dog do his business on my flowers. I gave him a plastic bag to pick it up as well as a few extra ones for next time, it was dark he went under the flowers to say he found nothing. I let the situation go. I thought after me having him chase after the poop that would deter him. I told him from now on if I see him I expect to see a plastic bag on his hand. The other day I was at loger heads with same said boy.

I have tried handling the situation diplomatically but some people really FORCE you to harm their pets!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs