Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2007, 10:37 PM

3,225 posts, read 14,058,192 times

Advertisements

This is the second occurance. The first that I have seen was Monday.

So, we were all just sleeping in the bed, my husband was out in the family room watching a movie. Joe, the boxer, gets up and goes to him on the couch. His head is shaking, like a prolonged and uncontrollable shiver.

We have a son who has seizures, so we check all the things we would with him...

Is he responsive? Yes, he licks us, and wags his tail in response to us, trys to be closer to us, looks at us in the eye. He can move and adjust him self.

Can I stop the movement? No. No matter how hard I hold his jowls, or head, the "shiver" movement does not stop.

This went on for about 10 mins. It was very strong movement. He seemed to be very nervous and concerned and was making throat noises.

Afterward, it just stops, he starts panting a lot and he seemed more 'himself' happy, etc. Had a bolt of energy. Now he's asleep.

This was more strong than the episode earlier in the week. And the movement earlier in the week was more like a head "tipping", like a metrodome- than a shiver.

Obviously we need vet consultation... but it's 11:33 pm...

Any thoughts on this??

Male, 2-3 yrs old. Was a foster, we couldn't give him back.... no real history on him, came from a kill shelter where he was dropped off, twice. fully vetted.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2007, 10:45 PM

5,324 posts, read 18,261,142 times
The only thing I can say is that I concur you need to see a vet tomorrow. Take notes so you can easily recall how long these seizures are happening. Normally I'd say the throat noises are reverse sneezing, however it wouldn't tie in with the seizure.

Is he on any medication for anything? Is it a recent medication? If not, I'd say keep an eye on him and call the vet first thing.

Please keep us updated on the little guy.

Old 12-06-2007, 10:52 PM

3,225 posts, read 14,058,192 times
The throat noises were sort of like a grunty whine. Not loud though, went along with the shaking....

He's not on medication at all.

Came to me with a touch of Giardia - but that's been cleared up awhile ago.

Will call the vet in the morning. Thank you for responding.

Old 12-06-2007, 11:23 PM

4,231 posts, read 15,417,590 times
Have heard of wobblers syndrome but it mostly occurs in dobermans and in the rear legs so it's probably not what your boxer has
Doberman Diseases, Wobblers, WOBBLERS SYNDROME, SPONDYLOLITHESIS
He didn't have any flea preventatives recently or vaccinations or get into anything (mushrooms outside etc, not sure where you're located, probably mushrooms arent much of a possiblity in most parts of the US)
Sounds like it could be something neuro but it does sound like something may be going on, good luck and please keep us posted -

Old 12-09-2007, 09:17 PM

302 posts, read 1,443,311 times
We had a beautiful Golden years ago that had seizures just like what you describe. I think they are seizures.

Old 12-09-2007, 09:24 PM

5,324 posts, read 18,261,142 times
What did the vet say? I'm guessing by now you've seen the vet?

Old 12-10-2007, 11:18 AM

836 posts, read 3,381,254 times
My Mom has a dog that has seizures and she does the same thing you described with your dog.. I would definitely take your dog to the vet.. My moms dog was abused from her previous owner whom beat her in the head with a broom.. Something similar to this could have happened to your dog by one of its previous owners or it is just a medical problem the dog has had and this could be why it gets taken back to the pound..
Dogs having seizures can be very serious. They do have meds that can help them. I am hoping by now you have taken the dog to the vet?

Old 12-13-2007, 09:40 AM

8 posts, read 108,959 times
Is everything okay with Joe? I am assuming you have definetly seen the vet? What was causing the shivers?

Old 12-13-2007, 11:55 AM

30,307 posts, read 51,908,733 times
Is it possible he has asthma? My sister's cat has it, and there were times I thought she was having a seizure (when she has an attack)... first it sounds like a hairball, but is often accompanied by shaking & coughing. Anyway, it's just a random thought, but hopefully your vet will figure out what's really going on!

Old 12-13-2007, 01:06 PM

295 posts, read 1,213,196 times
Jenbar -
Have a full thyroid panel run on him - hypothyroidism can cause seizures & his behavior sounds like focal point seizures. If you can, have his blood sample sent to Dr Jean Dodds in So. Cal for the testing & eval - she's the guru. Also, I noted your other thread re his seemingly excessive shedding - hypothyroidism can also cause that (it's called alopecia).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs