U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2014, 02:50 PM

2,853 posts, read 6,487,963 times

Advertisements

My six-month old female puppy is getting spayed tomorrow and I feel bad for her! What can I do to make the experience better and what should I expect when I bring her home? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2014, 03:07 PM

6,178 posts, read 4,962,998 times
If all goes well, she should be fine. Make sure you get pain meds for her. Have her wear a cone for several days. Keep her quiet, no jumping or other strenuous activities.

I had three female siblings spayed in February. They were 4 months old. No issues at all. I think I have been lucky. I've spayed and neutered over 20 animals and all went well. Even feral cats that didn't have days of recovery time did fine. Good luck. Animals are very resilient. But I always get them pain meds.

Old 04-10-2014, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
If all goes well, she should be fine. Make sure you get pain meds for her. Have her wear a cone for several days. Keep her quiet, no jumping or other strenuous activities.

I had three female siblings spayed in February. They were 4 months old. No issues at all. I think I have been lucky. I've spayed and neutered over 20 animals and all went well. Even feral cats that didn't have days of recovery time did fine. Good luck. Animals are very resilient. But I always get them pain meds.

Thank you. Will I have to ask for the pain meds or is there something I should buy in advance? We take her home the same day. I just want her to be comfortable as she is my baby!

Old 04-10-2014, 03:23 PM

6,178 posts, read 4,962,998 times
The vet should ask if you want them. It is usually an extra cost. The last four pups I had fixed were do e through SNAP, a low cost program and two days of meds were given out. That was a one day operation.

My latest foster went to a regular vet and spent the night. I prefer that, but with four pups needing fixed, can be pricy. Foster pup was over 500 bucks alone! Anyway, with both situations I had to review and sign permission forms. Vet's was more detailed.

Old 04-10-2014, 04:41 PM

19,187 posts, read 14,947,409 times
With a 5 month old, no problem. She was just sleepy and we had to make sure she didn't chew anything open. No pain meds. We had an 8 year old spayed and it was the same. They just sleep, rest and never showed any pain. Over the years, we have probably had 7 spayed without incident and not showing any suffering.

Old 04-10-2014, 06:42 PM

6,591 posts, read 20,707,191 times
1, get yourself a bottle of wine
2: drink a lass and try to relax...belive me YOU will be much more stressed than she will

females generally bounce back quicker than males...

if your picking he rup same day expect her to be sleepy the rest of the day...
by the enxt day shell likely be a little tender and may hav a bit of an upset tummy (anesthesia can do that to some dogs) but generally shell be back to relative normalness, (some dogs are back to 100% normalness much to their owners dismay, you ever tried to ekep a healing pupy quiet and calm when all it wants to do is run around like a crazy lunatic?
by day 3 most females are acting like nothing happened...

you need to:
watch the insicion site to check for redness swellin puss or odor,
try to prevent her from licking (a cone or a tshirt ect can help)
TRY to keep her calm and relaxed so she doesn't pop her stitches...many vets are now using surgical glue which is awesome, but even stirtches these days tend to be dissolving so theres typically very little aftercare...

Old 04-10-2014, 07:14 PM

2,456 posts, read 1,992,049 times
When I brought my dog home from the shelter, he had just been neutered. He was so tiny, I bought newborn size onesies and cut a hole for his tail. He loved those little shirts! And he looked cute too boot. They also kept him from licking the incision site as it healed. I had to take them off before we would go out to potty, but he was interested in the smells outside so didn't lick then. When we got home, back on with the onesie!

If you feel like you have to do something "special" for her, wait a day or two (to make sure she's feeling better) and give her some boiled chicken and rice. Or a couple extra cookies.

And I totally agree with the bottle of wine for you! LOL

Old 04-10-2014, 07:15 PM

Thanks everyone. I feel better now. You're right that it's probably more stressful for me than her!

These are really great tips.

We live in NYC so we rented a car for the day to make sure it's a comfortable to/from for her. I'll let you know how it goes!

Old 04-10-2014, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunetunelover View Post
When I brought my dog home from the shelter, he had just been neutered. He was so tiny, I bought newborn size onesies and cut a hole for his tail. He loved those little shirts! And he looked cute too boot. They also kept him from licking the incision site as it healed. I had to take them off before we would go out to potty, but he was interested in the smells outside so didn't lick then. When we got home, back on with the onesie!

This is such a great idea!

Old 04-10-2014, 07:44 PM

14,993 posts, read 21,639,193 times
We got our pup a blowup cone instead of the plastic one. It made a world of difference. The poor thing wouldn't stop crying. As soon as we pit that on her she went right to sleep.

This is probably not common! She came home with a wet head which I think had a lot to do with it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs