Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2014, 06:32 PM

1,253 posts, read 3,634,291 times

Advertisements

First, thank you for stopping in and ALL suggestions are welcome!!!

When someone in the family passes away, what is a good way for the dog to know and understand that - he's not coming back, grieve the loss and move on?

All suggestions are welcome. Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2014, 07:43 PM

729 posts, read 1,505,662 times
If at all possible, let them see the body. I know that's not always a possibility though or you are probably past that point right now.
My Tucker knew when we came home without Taylor. He went out and searched our van then started whining and howling. It was so sad. When we lost Maggie and again with Tucker, my Truly knew when she saw the empty collars. She knew that we wouldn't bring an empty collar home. She had already known both dogs were ill when we left with them. It just takes time to adjust to a new routine and living without their friend. For Tucker, we eventually adopted Maggie and he was thrilled for a companion again. Truly already had other dogs in her pack to turn to. It just takes time

Old 04-12-2014, 08:19 PM

3,605 posts, read 9,058,713 times
Sophie knew Kona was dying, when we took her to the vet for the last time Sophie knew she wasn't coming back. She was sad for a couple weeks and then lonely for about a month and now four months later she seems to be doing well and is embracing being the only child. We just gave her a lot of attention and treated her even more special than normal. I'm not sure how she would have reacted if it was a human in her pack. When my husband is away on business she is always on edge for him to return. If one of her humans suddenly wasn't there I think she would be very confused, if there was an illness she would probably sense more.

I think time is the only thing that truly helps.

Old 04-12-2014, 10:32 PM

13,131 posts, read 20,990,305 times
Are you talking about person in a multi person pack or a person where the pack is now gone?

In the first, it's partially up to the personality of the dog to overcome the loss of a pack member and reach the point of accepting the dissapearance. The remaining people can assist by simply keeping the dog's attention on other things to fill any voids. Don't telagraph your grief. Make things fun.

For the second, 1/2 lb of brisket each day, treats, playing games, treats, walks, treats, more brisket and a soft spot on the bed will have that dog wondering by weeks end "Who was I suppose to miss?"

Old 04-12-2014, 11:01 PM

5,094 posts, read 12,587,684 times
When my dad suddenly got sick and the paramedics came to get him my brother said Phoenix who never slept on the bed was up in his bed snuggled up to him.She would not get off and had to be lifted off and put outside. My Dad died in the hospital 24 hrs later . I am sure Phoenix knew something was wrong when she got in bed with him. She came back to live with me but because I had a trip to take I left her alone at my Dad's house for a week with someone from my brothers house coming over to feed her daily. Yes she was depressed when she came to live with me, So Jazz, Dazzle and I took her lots of exciting places and she soon seemed to be her happy self and settled back into life at my house. She had lived with me for 1.5 yrs before she went to live with my parents. I think the best time for her was after Jazz had died and it was her and Dazzle and I then added the puppy, Chaos as Phoenix took a real interest in keeping an eye on the puppy and it seemed to add some spunk back into the old girl.

When my mom died she died at her home so their two dogs and my two dogs were all there and I think they all understood what was going on. Henry her collie X Mal who seemed very intune to her cancer and watched her like a hawk had a hard time to the point that his Lupus flared up and he pulled almost all his hair out. He did recover and was doing well but a year later started having trouble standing up and being a BIG dog he was too heavy for my dad to lift up so he had to be put to sleep.

Old 04-12-2014, 11:24 PM

8,495 posts, read 4,161,204 times
Greyfriars Bobby is a true story about a dog who I think never left his master's grave - I think he did go and eat, do his business, etc. but he returned to the grave every day. Hachiko was a dog who used to go to this Japanese train station to wait for his master to return from his teaching job, even after his master died. Hachiko kept this up for years till he himself passed on. The movie, starring Richard Gere, was so SAD and made me almost bawl, and I never cry at movies. Just thinking about it now, I feel like crying. I wished I never saw that movie. Dogs are loyal to the end and beyond.

Old 04-12-2014, 11:30 PM

8,495 posts, read 4,161,204 times
Default Dogs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dashdog View Post
When my dad suddenly got sick and the paramedics came to get him my brother said Phoenix who never slept on the bed was up in his bed snuggled up to him.She would not get off and had to be lifted off and put outside. My Dad died in the hospital 24 hrs later . I am sure Phoenix knew something was wrong when she got in bed with him. She came back to live with me but because I had a trip to take I left her alone at my Dad's house for a week with someone from my brothers house coming over to feed her daily. Yes she was depressed when she came to live with me, So Jazz, Dazzle and I took her lots of exciting places and she soon seemed to be her happy self and settled back into life at my house. She had lived with me for 1.5 yrs before she went to live with my parents. I think the best time for her was after Jazz had died and it was her and Dazzle and I then added the puppy, Chaos as Phoenix took a real interest in keeping an eye on the puppy and it seemed to add some spunk back into the old girl.

When my mom died she died at her home so their two dogs and my two dogs were all there and I think they all understood what was going on. Henry her collie X Mal who seemed very intune to her cancer and watched her like a hawk had a hard time to the point that his Lupus flared up and he pulled almost all his hair out. He did recover and was doing well but a year later started having trouble standing up and being a BIG dog he was too heavy for my dad to lift up so he had to be put to sleep.
Dogs are intuitive - they know when the end is near and they sit beside their beloved humans, giving them comfort, trying to help them cross over peacefully in the absence of fear. It was so nice that your mom passed with her furry friends so near. It took a lot out of her dog pals but I am sure they would have it no other way - they wanted to be with her at that time, not only to say goodbye, but to show their love for her. That's what friends are for.

Old 04-13-2014, 02:55 PM

1,253 posts, read 3,634,291 times
Default Grieving dog loses his human buddy...

Thank you everyone for your input, so far!

To be clear, it was my father-in-law that passed and it is his dog we are talking about. Ricco still has his mom...but he knows something isn't right.

The day dad fell, Ricco was standing over him, as to protect him, until mom got home. When she did, the EMT's were with her to take him (father) to the hospital. He was bleeding into his brain stem (blunt force trauma) to the back lower part of his head. He did not pick up his feet (he more or less shuffles his feet). He tripped on the brick fireplace and fell, hitting the lower back of his head. He was able to crawl to his phone and call his wife.

Ricco (dog) saw everything...and this was three weeks ago. He had surgery that evening and never regained conscientiousness. After exhaustive testing, he was pronounced brain dead and was taken off of life support. All the while, Ricco (the dog) was and is searching for him. (This is the longest they have been a part, ever.)

He is eating but not much and has little zest for life. Ricco is 4.5 yrs old and a French Brittany.

I know dogs morn the loss of a pack-member but the pack member in this case is his human. His mom is taking him for a ride in "dads" truck...and I think with some high value food items (treats), she perhaps can get him out of his slump?

So...we are all grieving...including the dog. At least as humans, we can communicate and understand what is going on. Ricco's having issues.

Again, thank you in advance for your help and all suggestions are appreciated.

~LuvABull

Last edited by LuvABull.Denver; 04-13-2014 at 03:09 PM.. Reason: Grammar - need a spell check and grammar button!!!

Old 04-13-2014, 03:35 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,340,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvABull.Denver View Post
Thank you everyone for your input, so far!

To be clear, it was my father-in-law that passed and it is his dog we are talking about. Ricco still has his mom...but he knows something isn't right.

The day dad fell, Ricco was standing over him, as to protect him, until mom got home. When she did, the EMT's were with her to take him (father) to the hospital. He was bleeding into his brain stem (blunt force trauma) to the back lower part of his head. He did not pick up his feet (he more or less shuffles his feet). He tripped on the brick fireplace and fell, hitting the lower back of his head. He was able to crawl to his phone and call his wife.

Ricco (dog) saw everything...and this was three weeks ago. He had surgery that evening and never regained conscientiousness. After exhaustive testing, he was pronounced brain dead and was taken off of life support. All the while, Ricco (the dog) was and is searching for him. (This is the longest they have been a part, ever.)

He is eating but not much and has little zest for life. Ricco is 4.5 yrs old and a French Brittany.

I know dogs morn the loss of a pack-member but the pack member in this case is his human. His mom is taking him for a ride in "dads" truck...and I think with some high value food items (treats), she perhaps can get him out of his slump?

So...we are all grieving...including the dog. At least as humans, we can communicate and understand what is going on. Ricco's having issues.

Again, thank you in advance for your help and all suggestions are appreciated.

~LuvABull
I am so sorry.

I know you will be good to Ricco and do everything possible.....to do that you will have to take care of yourself first.

Old 04-13-2014, 05:55 PM

51,691 posts, read 15,693,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolgato View Post
Greyfriars Bobby is a true story about a dog who I think never left his master's grave - I think he did go and eat, do his business, etc. but he returned to the grave every day. Hachiko was a dog who used to go to this Japanese train station to wait for his master to return from his teaching job, even after his master died. Hachiko kept this up for years till he himself passed on. The movie, starring Richard Gere, was so SAD and made me almost bawl, and I never cry at movies. Just thinking about it now, I feel like crying. I wished I never saw that movie. Dogs are loyal to the end and beyond.
I seen the movie not too long ago. Yes, it was a sad movie and I got a little choked up while watching it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs