Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2014, 11:07 PM

2,672 posts, read 2,716,771 times

Advertisements

It seems like most people dont. But I always take my dog even if its a 20 minute trip to the store. The exception is once it gets warm. I always try to park under a shade tree and leave all four windows open about 4-6 inches. Once someone reached through the window and stole a jacket. If it gets a little warm the dog will go to the lowest shade spot on the floor. My current dog is smart enough that a couple of times he has showed no interest in going to the store if its warm. The real key to taking the dog on these store trips is finding a tree and shade. Dogs are smart. If they see you putting on shoes and grabbing car keys they are sometimes in the car before you are. If I am packing and putting stuff in a car for a trip the dogs have always been in the car before I finish packing. Funny about the stuff they pick up without any training.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2014, 11:30 PM

1,322 posts, read 3,472,383 times
I take my dog with me whenever possible to run errands. She loves the car and people watching. Some of our stores allow dogs so I try to take advantage of that opportunity because she does not get as much socialization as I would like. The coming of warm weather is bittersweet because that means no errand runs but more time in the yard.

Old 04-14-2014, 01:31 AM

1,829 posts, read 2,234,864 times
I take mine whenever I can - i.e. Less than 5 minutes in the car by themselves. They love shopping at PetCo, and we have a few outdoor seating areas for restaurants in the area that we eat at with the dogs under the table.

My rule of thumb I'd if they are safe and allowed, they come.

Old 04-14-2014, 05:48 AM

4,585 posts, read 12,361,755 times
Rarely with my current dog who hates car rides, the other issue is I live in the southeast so there is only a small window of time during the year to safely run errands with him in the car.

Old 04-14-2014, 07:08 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,329,809 times
Our dogs just go when they hunt or, to the vets.

This is how they ride.

Aluminum Dog Boxes - Bing Images

Old 04-14-2014, 11:10 AM

729 posts, read 1,504,848 times
My dogs take turns coming to work with me so that often means they run errands with me. We also travel with our dogs quite a bit. I have two crates in the back of my van that the dogs ride in. When I stop to go into a store I will padlock the crates and leave the back end of the van open for plenty of air. If it's really warm I will hook a fan up to circulate air. There is a limit though. I would NEVER do this at a mall or even Wal-Mart. Some stores I feel more comfortable leaving the back end open than others. I also avoid our grocery store if the temps get too warm because their parking lot was recently re-black topped and it gets stinking hot. Sometimes even leaving the back end open is not enough. So I watch the temps and plan accordingly. The dogs enjoy joining us on our trips

Old 04-14-2014, 11:32 AM

2,848 posts, read 7,577,420 times
If we both go to the store, we'll bring the dog for the walk and one of us will wait outside with her. I don't trust people to leave her tied outside of a store by herself. My friend did that with his puppy once and came back minutes later to someone in the process of stealing her. Not going to risk it. A lot of stores in NYC are dog friendly and it's common to see people with their dogs. However, they're not allowed on the subway outside of a carrier so now that she's bigger that's more difficult.

Old 04-14-2014, 11:35 AM

7,840 posts, read 9,193,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by borregokid View Post
It seems like most people dont. But I always take my dog even if its a 20 minute trip to the store. The exception is once it gets warm. I always try to park under a shade tree and leave all four windows open about 4-6 inches. Once someone reached through the window and stole a jacket. If it gets a little warm the dog will go to the lowest shade spot on the floor. My current dog is smart enough that a couple of times he has showed no interest in going to the store if its warm. The real key to taking the dog on these store trips is finding a tree and shade. Dogs are smart. If they see you putting on shoes and grabbing car keys they are sometimes in the car before you are. If I am packing and putting stuff in a car for a trip the dogs have always been in the car before I finish packing. Funny about the stuff they pick up without any training.
All dogs are geniuses when it concerns things that are important to them. What many dog owners don't understand is that "sitting" on command is not high on most dogs' agendas ... being included on road trips is, usually top five.

I usually take my dog with me on short trips around town or to visit friends (most of my friends are "dog people"). I won't take him in hot weather or if it's warm and sunny or if I know I'm going to be shopping for a while. Of course, he goes to the places that welcome pets: Petsmart, Tractor Supply, the drive thru at the credit union. We also regularly take road trips to nearby parks as well as to my camp in the country, not to mention vacations.

Old 04-14-2014, 07:09 PM

548 posts, read 1,037,835 times
Yep I take my Lady Bug everywhere I can with me. My other 2 doxies do not love the car quite as much. Cricket thinks she wants to go but then gets real nervous once we start moving. Copper is pretty independent and doesn't care all that much. Once it gets too warm though the rides stop.

Old 04-14-2014, 08:43 PM

30,251 posts, read 23,719,256 times
If I'm not going to be away from the car, or if I'm not going to be gone more than maybe one to two minutes tops, I will take the hoodlums with me.

Where I live, I have to haul my own trash to the dump and for some reason, my hoodlums think that is the most exciting trip ever...so they get to go with me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs