Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2014, 12:55 AM

2,775 posts, read 3,733,338 times

Advertisements

So I want your guys' take on this:

There is this guy in my neighborhood that takes his three pit bull terriers for runs each night at about the same time (around 9:45-10 pm) as I do. He lives about one block down and when he runs them, its always off-leash. Now, these dogs seem to be fairly well trained as when they approach my dog and I, the owner calls them back. I've seen this guy ride his bike and all three dogs are in-tow. I am not sure what would happen if at one of these times he comes around a corner on the same side of the sidewalk as I am. I'm terrified that the dogs will go after my dog, or go after someone else innocently out walking their dog. Am I being irrational about this? Should I just mind my own business? I feel as though this guy is being an irresponsible dog owner and that his dogs, however friendly they may be, should be on a leash. I have a golden retriever and I never let her off leash as I know other people do not appreciate this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2014, 01:51 AM

13,912 posts, read 39,115,847 times
WHY They seem well trained to me & You didn't say they were aggressive in any way... Just cause they are Pits your making them into Monsters without a reason! YES MYOB!

Old 04-09-2014, 04:50 AM

857 posts, read 2,208,985 times
Is there a leash law in your town?

Old 04-09-2014, 06:12 AM

159 posts, read 168,229 times
You are not being irrational, the dog's should be leashed.

Old 04-09-2014, 06:35 AM

1,180 posts, read 3,115,603 times
I have to admit to mixed feelings here.

The OP does seem to be over-reacting a bit just because the dogs are pits. It especially appears this way because she admits the dogs are under control and well behaved.

On the other hand, if there are leash laws stating that dogs must be on leash (and not just under control) then the neighbor should have his dogs (whatever breed or how well trained they may be) on leashes.

Old 04-09-2014, 06:47 AM

17,330 posts, read 32,882,870 times
If there is a leash law where you live, Jared, then they should be on leashes.

A friend of mine from when I lived in CT -- where there is a leash law -- always had his two Labs off-leash. They, too, were friendly dogs and *usually* listened to my friend when he called them. However, if they saw a rabbit or something, you never know... We lived in a cul-de-sac, so the car traffic was typically light and respectful, but what happens if someone is pulling out of their driveway in a rush? I pointed out these two possibilities to him and he shrugged. They remained off-leash.

As to the pit issue, I've never met a pit bull who wasn't a complete mushballl. That said, *any* dog could react poorly to a person or another dog. That's part of the reason that leash laws are enacted. Nothing to do with the dog being a pit -- my Lab/Beagle/Corgi mix, Artie, was aggressive and bitey -- but everything to do with everyone's safety.

Old 04-09-2014, 07:44 AM

4,842 posts, read 4,127,266 times
I too have a mixed response to the OP.

First, no matter what we want to believe about our dogs and how well they are trained, IMO they are INSTINCTIVE animals. Something someday may catch their eye and they are off and running. IMO, if you love your dog well enough to train it so well, you'll still put a leash on it to keep it safe.

Secondly, there does seem to be some prejudice by the OP because the dogs are pitbulls. I think I would try to start a conversation with the guy and talk to him about his dogs. See if you can set up a playdate with your dog and his. Goldens love to play! But the thing here is, if it is possible that the dogs can make friends, the chances of them attacking your dog are minimized because they are "friends".

Old 04-09-2014, 08:26 AM

30,158 posts, read 23,540,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaredC View Post
So I want your guys' take on this:

There is this guy in my neighborhood that takes his three pit bull terriers for runs each night at about the same time (around 9:45-10 pm) as I do. He lives about one block down and when he runs them, its always off-leash. Now, these dogs seem to be fairly well trained as when they approach my dog and I, the owner calls them back. I've seen this guy ride his bike and all three dogs are in-tow. I am not sure what would happen if at one of these times he comes around a corner on the same side of the sidewalk as I am. I'm terrified that the dogs will go after my dog, or go after someone else innocently out walking their dog. Am I being irrational about this? Should I just mind my own business? I feel as though this guy is being an irresponsible dog owner and that his dogs, however friendly they may be, should be on a leash. I have a golden retriever and I never let her off leash as I know other people do not appreciate this.
I agree with you, NOT because they are pit bulls, but because I believe that dogs should be on leash when they are out and about in public, such as on city sidewalks.

If you were out in the woods...then no. In town? Yes.

I don't want stranger dogs coming up to my dogs, off leash. I don't care how friendly they are, that is not the proper way to introduce dogs to each other. Doesn't matter to me how well the dogs are trained to come back when the owner calls them, if you are in town, it's very bad manners to let your dog run loose off leash.

His dogs may be friendly, but what about those who have dogs that are dog aggressive? He is putting those people in danger...as someone else pointed out, dogs will react to things, and if they come up on a dog aggressive dog, who is leashed, on a walk, those friendly dogs will react.

Old 04-09-2014, 08:46 AM

24,834 posts, read 37,217,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenniferL View Post
You are not being irrational, the dog's should be leashed.
Is that the law there?

Old 04-09-2014, 08:47 AM

1,051 posts, read 2,463,937 times
I agree with the OP as far as the dogs needing to be leashed, no matter what breed. More of a chance of them running off, maybe getting aggressive (who knows!) etc. My parents always leash their dog despite her following commands and being super friendly. I really don't like any type of dog rushing up to me, friendly or not. I'd rather be calmly introduced. Just my two cents
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs