U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2014, 06:44 PM

6,319 posts, read 5,693,194 times

Advertisements

Ok I'm house and dog sitting.

6 dogs.

5 are JUST FINE.

1, the oldest, is the biggest pain in the butt. He's arthritic, blind, deaf, and just not a very nice dog.

He never wants to be patted, is NEVER glad to see you, ignores every instruction etc.

How do I get him to ****?

He's out there now yapping at shadows, I bring him in he yaps at shadows.

What do you do?

Old 04-14-2014, 06:54 PM

6,214 posts, read 4,981,306 times
Poor little thing. He probably misses his mom and dad pet parents. He's old and confused.

Does he like any special food? Give him a little treat and try to pet him. Be patient with him.

Old 04-14-2014, 07:02 PM

4,787 posts, read 9,261,640 times
If he's blind and deaf, how can he know what instructions you're giving ? Old dogs, as with old people , sometimes get very confused with their surroundings. Doggy Alzheimer's.

Then again, this blind and deaf and achy dog knows his family isn't there. He can sense the change in caregivers, knows someone else is there and just lacks the ability to respond to it. Thus, he barks, and barks and barks. Outside, he may feel lost.

Go out with him on a leash. That connection to a person may reassure him. Call his owner and ask if this is typical behavior. If it is, ask what they do about it.

And remember, there but for fortune go you. If you live long enough, you may wind up in a place, deaf, blind, in diapers and dependent upon the kindness of others for day to day living. I hope their attitude toward you is better than your attitude to this old dog. Let's hope they are gentle and caring to you, rather than annoyed and angry as you are to this dog. Be a kind person, always be a kind person to animals. They can't tell you what is wrong.

Again, contact the owners and discuss the dog's behavior. See what they say. One of those DAP calming collars may help reduce the dog's general anxiety. See if the owner is willing to pay for one or reimburse you if you buy one.

Old 04-14-2014, 08:18 PM

43,012 posts, read 92,075,066 times
He's afraid. He knows his owners aren't there. He has no idea who you are. He can't see you. He can't hear you. He's a nervous wreck. Have sympathy for the poor thing.

Old 04-14-2014, 08:34 PM

5,710 posts, read 4,134,754 times
HOW can he be ignoring your "instructions" when he's blind and deaf? Put yourself in his place.

He is sad and confused that his "parents" aren't there. Use a LOT of patience and kindness. He probably won't do any better for you but be kind to him anyways. He deserves it.

Old 04-14-2014, 09:43 PM

13,675 posts, read 13,514,075 times
He's freaked out because something has changed and the people he is accustomed to having around him are suddenly gone.

As usual, I recommend a kong filled with peanut butter so he can have something to focus on besides the fact that his people are missing. Just confirm with his people that it's ok to give him that.

Old 04-15-2014, 07:46 AM

6,591 posts, read 20,731,988 times
needless to say id probably react the same ay as this odl guy if I had someone as insensitive to my plight looking after me...
he cant see you...he cant hear you...hes likely in pain and frightend, he knows you don't like him (lets face it its obvious and dogs arnt stupid) you smell weird and arnt his people and you left him outside alone...in the dark (because to a blind deaf dog its ALWAYS dark!)
of course hes never happy to see you....HE CANT SEE YOU!!!
hes a grumpy frightend old man...give him a little leeway...see from his humans what his favorite treats and thgs to do are, and then take a little time to understand him and get to know him...

Old 04-15-2014, 07:55 AM

621 posts, read 1,040,259 times
I have boarded dogs like this guy in the past, and yes they can be terribly frustrating.
Sometimes this has worked for me, try to spend some time with him giving him a nice calm rub down/massage. This will help him get your smell in his mind and associate it as a good thing, and not something to be alarmed with. Because he can neither see or hear you, his nose can indeed smell you and it's a foreign smell that may be setting him off.

Try to hand feed him a bit as well.... talk to him quietly (he might not be as deaf as he appears) and even if he can't really hear you, your vibrations will be communicated to him. And the smell of your hands with food will help him as well.

These guys can be a pain to take care of because you just don't know what to do to make them happy. Patience is a virtue in these cases.... and knowing his owners will be back soon! Please come back soon!!!!!

Old 04-15-2014, 07:56 AM

5,710 posts, read 4,134,754 times
I think the OP retreated to lick his wounds lol.

If he was looking for sympathy here, he got none. That poor old pooch. I hope his "parents" come home soon with lots of treats and hugs for him.

Old 04-15-2014, 07:57 AM

857 posts, read 1,771,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cindersslipper View Post
Ok I'm house and dog sitting.

6 dogs.

5 are JUST FINE.

1, the oldest, is the biggest pain in the butt. He's arthritic, blind, deaf, and just not a very nice dog.

He never wants to be patted, is NEVER glad to see you, ignores every instruction etc.

How do I get him to ****?

He's out there now yapping at shadows, I bring him in he yaps at shadows.

What do you do?

IGNORE INSTRUCTIONS? He's deaf?.

Isn't glad to see you? He's blind.

mod cut

Last edited by Sam I Am; 04-17-2014 at 03:28 AM.. Reason: give instruction, don't make it personal
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs