U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2014, 06:14 PM

5,641 posts, read 17,312,650 times

Advertisements

ridiculous that you have to tell dog owners to exercise their dogs. A tired dog is a good dog.
If they don't want to walk their dog, they should get a little tiny pooch that gets exercise just running around inside. Sad for those dogs
And of course the neighbors of those dogs....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2014, 12:16 PM

9,355 posts, read 16,836,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cindersslipper View Post
Ha go on over to my thread about a problematic dog I'm dog sitting.

The hatred and bile I received for asking for help on handling him, is quite staggering.

Pure unadulterated vitriol from people who claim to be "caring". Not if you don't have 4 legs apparently.

The dogs right to bark and generally behave like an ill trained arsehat are far, far, FAR more important than my rights to peace and quiet, or anyone else's within ear shot.

Sorry I can't be more help. There's Them and Us, dog owner wise.

I actually lived in a house where I was literally surrounded by barking/howling dogs all day, every day.

I sold the house.

here is that thread.... This freakn mutt won't shut up

and wow... that wasn't asking for help or advice.... that was a biotch-fest about an untrained, senior chihuahua.... poor little guy....

Old 04-21-2014, 08:46 PM

4,584 posts, read 5,019,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by latetotheparty View Post
here is that thread.... This freakn mutt won't shut up

and wow... that wasn't asking for help or advice.... that was a biotch-fest about an untrained, senior chihuahua.... poor little guy....
^^^

Old 04-22-2014, 09:25 AM

8,778 posts, read 7,701,741 times
IMHO, a lot of folks who claim to love dogs have no love for anyone, including the dog. We have neighbors all around us who have dogs who sit in the backyard all by themselves. I feel sorry for the poor dog. Dogs are social animals. I can never figure out what is the point of having a dog that just sits in the back yard? These are the same folks who also don't care about their neighbors hearing the dog barking. Then it just goes to show, these owners love no one but themselves.

Old 04-22-2014, 11:18 AM

16,720 posts, read 14,695,871 times
Get the dog a Thundershirt. It's $40 for a miracle.

Old 04-22-2014, 01:41 PM

1,823 posts, read 2,399,315 times
Depending on how close you are, there are things you can buy that will send off a high-pitched sound, quieting the dog.

Old 04-23-2014, 01:24 PM

22,717 posts, read 16,821,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cindersslipper View Post
Ha go on over to my thread about a problematic dog I'm dog sitting.

The hatred and bile I received for asking for help on handling him, is quite staggering.

Pure unadulterated vitriol from people who claim to be "caring". Not if you don't have 4 legs apparently.

The dogs right to bark and generally behave like an ill trained arsehat are far, far, FAR more important than my rights to peace and quiet, or anyone else's within ear shot.

Sorry I can't be more help. There's Them and Us, dog owner wise.

I actually lived in a house where I was literally surrounded by barking/howling dogs all day, every day.

I sold the house.
The "vitriol" you received is because you were bashing on an elderly dog that has arthritis, is blind, deaf, and who was obviously fearful without the owners around. Don't act as if you were some innocent victim.

Old 04-23-2014, 09:38 PM

3,279 posts, read 4,077,972 times
It's people like the one in the original posting that make me feel like a person should be perfectly within their legal rights to shoot and kill a dog that barks a lot, or "kidnap" them and relocate them--at least if other efforts at a resolution have failed. A person simply shouldn't have to live with nuisance barking that trespasses onto their property and spoils their enjoyment of it.

I don't know what it is about barking--I can hear roosters crow even at 5 a.m., you can have flocks of those black birds by the thousands, a neighbor can be running lawn equipment or sawing equipment all day, kids can be playing outdoors for hours on end squealing at each other throughout the day--none of that bothers me. But let a dog bark for more than even a few seconds, and right away I can feel my blood pressure escalating. Anything more than 1-2 minutes, and I think it's enough to warrant a legitimate noise complaint. Seriously. When I read about 15 minutes being the limit, I'm like "I'd be long over the edge by that point." Considering that the few times my dog has barked, which really is next to never, I nonetheless was on top of it within SECONDS checking out the area and then telling it to stop once I saw all was fine, where do people get off taking so long to respond?

So yes, when you have a neighbor with a dog flapping its gums for extended periods, there should be relief available. Frankly I like what Italy does--I'm told that nuisance barking that goes unresolved can result in jail for the dog owners. That, to me, should be the law EVERYWHERE, even in the most remote rural areas such as farms etc. It should be EVERYWHERE.

What I have noticed, too, is that it's typically little dogs that exhibit this, and it's not just due to the nature of the breed, I think it's also due to the owners over-coddling them. Suggest a shock collar or popping them on the nose with a rolled-up newspaper and the usual response is just like the responses to suggestions made to a parent with a unruly child that maybe they should swat their butt--"NO! THAT'S ABUSE!" Owners of little dogs think doing ANYTHING more than just saying aloud "be quiet" is really abuse. What a bunch of wussies. I guarantee you that if you told that dog to shut up, it refused, and you proceeded to put your foot up its a`s-s, I guarantee you it would shut up then. (If that's abuse, so be it, but find another method that's just as effective and DO it already.) Besides, how about the abuse to humans having to listen to that noise? To me that's far more important.

Old 04-24-2014, 07:45 AM

22,717 posts, read 16,821,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shyguylh View Post
It's people like the one in the original posting that make me feel like a person should be perfectly within their legal rights to shoot and kill a dog that barks a lot, or "kidnap" them and relocate them--at least if other efforts at a resolution have failed. A person simply shouldn't have to live with nuisance barking that trespasses onto their property and spoils their enjoyment of it.

I don't know what it is about barking--I can hear roosters crow even at 5 a.m., you can have flocks of those black birds by the thousands, a neighbor can be running lawn equipment or sawing equipment all day, kids can be playing outdoors for hours on end squealing at each other throughout the day--none of that bothers me. But let a dog bark for more than even a few seconds, and right away I can feel my blood pressure escalating. Anything more than 1-2 minutes, and I think it's enough to warrant a legitimate noise complaint. Seriously. When I read about 15 minutes being the limit, I'm like "I'd be long over the edge by that point." Considering that the few times my dog has barked, which really is next to never, I nonetheless was on top of it within SECONDS checking out the area and then telling it to stop once I saw all was fine, where do people get off taking so long to respond?

So yes, when you have a neighbor with a dog flapping its gums for extended periods, there should be relief available. Frankly I like what Italy does--I'm told that nuisance barking that goes unresolved can result in jail for the dog owners. That, to me, should be the law EVERYWHERE, even in the most remote rural areas such as farms etc. It should be EVERYWHERE.

What I have noticed, too, is that it's typically little dogs that exhibit this, and it's not just due to the nature of the breed, I think it's also due to the owners over-coddling them. Suggest a shock collar or popping them on the nose with a rolled-up newspaper and the usual response is just like the responses to suggestions made to a parent with a unruly child that maybe they should swat their butt--"NO! THAT'S ABUSE!" Owners of little dogs think doing ANYTHING more than just saying aloud "be quiet" is really abuse. What a bunch of wussies. I guarantee you that if you told that dog to shut up, it refused, and you proceeded to put your foot up its a`s-s, I guarantee you it would shut up then. (If that's abuse, so be it, but find another method that's just as effective and DO it already.) Besides, how about the abuse to humans having to listen to that noise? To me that's far more important.
As the writing went on, you got to the root of the problem: people who coddle their dogs or don't train them. I agree with you that things need to change as far as nuisance/noise instead of being ignored. "Small" issues pile up and build in to big issues...the fact that no one can see this is irritating. Everyone blames things on the "big" issues and waves off the small issues as "no big deal". By itself? No, but when you have little issue after little issue after little issue, you have a problem.

The solution is NOT to thwap the dog on the nose with a newspaper or shock them, that is not how you train dogs. Allowing a dog to jump up on the couch, growl, bare its teeth, take ownership of the house because it's "just so darn cute" is the way that you create a hellion. Yes, too many people do it. We wouldn't have all those dog training shows if people used their brains.

Most people don't have a clue how to take on the leadership role. A dog is a pack animal. They need a leader. When a human won't do it, because they are incompetent, the dog will. You don't want your dog running the house.

Frankly, I think people should have to prove that they have even the slightest clue about dogs before they are ever allowed to have one. And I think if a dog is going to be adopted, instead of militant stipulations that some rescues put out, and instead of the lax, "anyone can take a dog" that some shelters have, a requirement should be that the dog AND OWNER go through training. Just as it is often times required to have the pet spayed or neutered, training should also be required, for both dog and owner. Dog training is more about training people than it is training a dog.

However, your suggestions of smacking them on the nose, or shocking them is going to give you the exact opposite effect of what you are asking for. That is the totally incorrect way to train. That is not training respect, that is training fear. You don't want a fearful dog...you will have HUGE problems later on.

Old 04-24-2014, 07:11 PM

Location: Downtown Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill,Homestead for now
512 posts, read 1,047,263 times
jrsydevil82- at this point i am open into buying a high-pitched sound, that can quite this dog. Do you recommend anything that can go through the walls as the dog is inside the house?

shyguylh-the guy is very friendly that is why we feel bad reporting him to the association. He has teenager kids and one of the kid hate the dog.

We are at a point of turning our TH into a rental property. We will find a loud ass renter who play loud music and rent it to him/her and let our neighbor feel the pain.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or