Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2014, 12:52 AM

32,650 posts, read 48,040,180 times

Advertisements

It was on the news. A Papillon was attacked and killed by an American Bulldog in a local dog park. A terrible tragedy. Apparently, the owner of the Bulldog wasn't in the area.

I got a call tonight. The Papillon killed was one of mine. The people had two Papillons from me. The poor woman was terrified to call me and tell me. She was afraid I would blame her and be angry.

That little dog was so loved and so well cared for. My heart is broken over the death of my puppy, but it is also broken for the family that owned him.

They had already made arrangements for me to babysit both of their dogs at the end of the month while they were out of town. The husband was the one who had the Papillon at the dog park and he apparently said he could not get out of the car to drop the remaining dog off because he couldn't face me.

I wish they had told me that they were taking the Papillons to the dog park. I would have told them to be very careful and suggested that they not do it. It is dangerous for a 6 pound dog to run loose with large dogs that it doesn't know well. It is even dangerous to walk a 6 pound dog on a leash out in public.

But still, it was not the owner's fault and I am not angry with them. They adored him and pampered him. He had the best of everything and I'm sure that they took him to the dog park because he loved to go and if he loved it, they would provide it for him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2014, 01:28 AM

1,413 posts, read 3,232,265 times
What is happening to the attackers owner? Anything?

Old 04-22-2014, 03:13 AM

1,180 posts, read 3,127,339 times
http://leerburg.com/pdf/dogparks.pdf Anyone considering or going to dog parks should read this Ebook. And this one also. Leerburg | How to Break Up a Dog Fight Without Getting Hurt! .

A Golden Retriever was recently killed by a Great Dane at a dog park in the St. Louis area.Dog killed at Wentzville dog park

Old 04-22-2014, 06:29 AM

13,887 posts, read 13,671,534 times
Terribly sad story. I hate dog parks. Wouldn't dream of taking my dog to one. These people didn't know better and can't be faulted. I, too, wish they had mentioned it to you before they went.

Old 04-22-2014, 06:45 AM

7,329 posts, read 16,425,831 times
How sad. I hate dog parks too, but I wish at least they all had separate areas for large and small dogs. It doesn't solve every problem but it helps. So sorry about the pup.

Old 04-22-2014, 07:00 AM

5,696 posts, read 6,208,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
It was on the news. A Papillon was attacked and killed by an American Bulldog in a local dog park. A terrible tragedy. Apparently, the owner of the Bulldog wasn't in the area.

I got a call tonight. The Papillon killed was one of mine. The people had two Papillons from me. The poor woman was terrified to call me and tell me. She was afraid I would blame her and be angry.

That little dog was so loved and so well cared for. My heart is broken over the death of my puppy, but it is also broken for the family that owned him.

They had already made arrangements for me to babysit both of their dogs at the end of the month while they were out of town. The husband was the one who had the Papillon at the dog park and he apparently said he could not get out of the car to drop the remaining dog off because he couldn't face me.

I wish they had told me that they were taking the Papillons to the dog park. I would have told them to be very careful and suggested that they not do it. It is dangerous for a 6 pound dog to run loose with large dogs that it doesn't know well. It is even dangerous to walk a 6 pound dog on a leash out in public.

But still, it was not the owner's fault and I am not angry with them. They adored him and pampered him. He had the best of everything and I'm sure that they took him to the dog park because he loved to go and if he loved it, they would provide it for him.

that is so very sad! I am a dog sitter/ walker and I DO NOT take any dogs to dog parks!
these places can be dangerous for ANY dog
when you take a new dog in all of the other dogs so often come running up to see who it is
when you have several dogs all converging on one dog at the same time, fights can break out
it is NOT the dogs fault it is the people there who seem to have no common sense at all
a fight can happen in the blink of an eye!!
and these places might be fun some of the time, but all it takes is one death or severe injury

Old 04-22-2014, 08:33 AM

4,787 posts, read 11,761,557 times
I have never set foot in a dog park with our dogs and I never will. Too many dangerous dogs owned by clueless people.

I must say though that most of the dogs parks I have seen in my region have little dog areas and big dog areas, securely fenced from each other. Some of the better ones require membership. With membership they can control who uses it, have monitors on site and require that all dogs over 6 months be altered & fully vaccinated before entering.

Old 04-22-2014, 08:36 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,365,577 times
Our dog parks separate the big dogs from little dogs, but I still wouldn't set foot in one of them.
Too many owners just let their dogs do whatever and don't watch them at all.
I have seen packs form and then they go around trying to take out other dogs.

Old 04-22-2014, 09:01 AM

1,761 posts, read 2,098,838 times
I take my dog to the dog park every weekend. The dog park we go, has a separate area for big and small dogs. It is a very good dog park, there's even a time out area and everyone follows the rules. Rarely is there a fight. The owners are all present and paying attention. I guess most dog parks are not like that. Makes me sad the pup died.

Old 04-22-2014, 09:01 AM

32,650 posts, read 48,040,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joliefille View Post
What is happening to the attackers owner? Anything?
I only know what was on the news. The owners of the Papillon can barely talk, so about all I got from them was that the dog was killed.

According to the news, the owners of the Bulldog were fined slightly over $400 for having a dangerous dog out of control. There was an interview with the county sheriff who said that, because it was a dog killed and not livestock, that is all they can do.

The owner of the Bulldog "wasn't in the area". I don't know whether that means she was at the other end of the dog park, or that she dropped the dog off and went to do errands.

The local TV station got involved and went around interviewing people on camera about what they thought should be done to the dog that killed. I saw it and was thinking how sad it was for the owner of the dog killed, but I didn't know it was my dog that was killed.

The owners of the Papillon had just bought a new house that they had picked out specifically for their dogs, with a large yard and a huge park across the street. They have always walked the dogs a coiuple of miles every day and they had said they were pleased to have the park right there. It's a huge park, just opened this year, and I did not know that there was a dog park located there.

I did a google search to find the newspaper article about it. I found it easily, but there were pages and pages of articles that came up at the same time about dogs being killed at dog parks.

I would never use a dog park for any dog, but more because I would worry about worms and disease. With a small dog, I would avoid for safety issues. But doing a google, there are many large dogs killed at dog parks, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs