U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2007, 09:12 AM

273 posts, read 1,215,762 times

Advertisements

So I woke up this morning and took Sadie out and she is limping. She was fine last night when I took her out. Its only a slight limp, and she still tries to run a little and jumped up to the couch, but I can tell she's limping and walking slowly and carefully. All we did was go for a walk yesterday early afternoon for about an hour. She was fine the rest of the day. We didnt do any jumping or playing, so I dont know why she would be limping. Maybe she slept wrong and has a cramp? She slept in our room with us in a 3' x 5' area I fenced off for her next to our bed. Could it just be a kink from sleeping wrong? Its making me sad. I hope nothing is really wrong. It doesnt seem to be painful, as I laid her on her side and touched her feet and moved her legs to see mobility and she didnt seem to mind at all. I cant even tell which leg it is but I can see the limp
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2007, 09:53 AM

422 posts, read 1,232,064 times
My dog, Chipper, limps occassionally. I took him to the vet and they advised me what it was (can't think of the technical name) but it is basically that is knee cap? goes out of alignment. Chipper's usually works itself back right. They told me if it happens too much or seems to be a real bother that surgery may be warranted. It hasn't happened to him lately.

Old 12-09-2007, 10:01 AM

7,550 posts, read 16,383,531 times
Could be a pulled muscle. Dakota pulled his a few months back and it took about a month to heal. Take him to the vets.

Old 12-09-2007, 10:04 AM

3,099 posts, read 2,033,082 times
arthritis?

Old 12-09-2007, 10:06 AM

3,099 posts, read 2,033,082 times
maybe it's from all the wall jumping

Old 12-09-2007, 10:28 AM

4,659 posts, read 15,773,408 times
Could be anything from a muscle cramp to a ligament stretched. Give him until tomorrow and take him in to the vet if it continues. If it has heat to it or swells you might want to consider going in sooner.

Old 12-09-2007, 01:03 PM

4,130 posts, read 13,303,291 times
A slipped kneecap sounds like luxating patella which isnt uncommon in small breeds. There's different grades of it, some dogs are fine w/ it if it's minor but in some cases, surgery is necessary or it can get worse and the other leg can be affected as well if it's supporting more weight. In the meantime, would try to not let him get heavy (measure the food and maybe cut back if he's chunky), would also not let him jump on/off furniture etc as it can strain the knee(s). Glucosamine/chondroitin supplements might help too. Good luck.

Old 12-09-2007, 01:07 PM

Well I'm pretty sure its not her knee. I was brushing her earlier and scooted her towards me by touching her side where the muscle at the top of her leg is, and it seemed to make her a liittle uncomfortable. Odd thing is she is still voluntarily running up the stairs and jumping on and off the couch. She doesnt seem to be in any pain like I said, shes just slightly limping, so hopefully its just the way she slept. Maybe b/c I had the blanket all balled up and it wasnt perfectly flat and shes used to sleeping in her crate on a perfectly flat hard surface.

It cant be from the jumping or playing as that was 2 days ago and this was nowhere around until only this morning. Yesterday she was great and we walked outside for an hour and she was fine at night when we were hanging and watching tv. I'll see what shes like in the morning and go from there. Most likely she'll be fine in the morning. I'll always be an over-worrier haha.

Old 12-09-2007, 02:15 PM

4,130 posts, read 13,303,291 times
I mis-read your post, I thought you mentioned the knee. Is it her front or rear leg?, how old is she?, just curious. Anyway like you said, best to wait til tomorrow and see how she is, sometimes there's just no obvious reason, by tomorrow it may disappear and all may be fine.

Old 12-09-2007, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honeycrisp View Post
I mis-read your post, I thought you mentioned the knee. Is it her front or rear leg?, how old is she?, just curious. Anyway like you said, best to wait til tomorrow and see how she is, sometimes there's just no obvious reason, by tomorrow it may disappear and all may be fine.
Its her front leg and shes 10 months. No worries on the arthritis I wouldnt think lol. Shes sleeping peacefully as of now so I'll just let it ride out until tomorrow. Vets not open anyways, and at this point their dumba$$es would just say "just let her rest" and charge me like 100 dollars anyways. I'll update in the morning
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs