Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2014, 12:52 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,746,361 times

Advertisements

Today I was taking my puppy, a miniature poodle, for a walk. The neighbor's dog got out of their backyard and came over to us. I had never met this dog, so I didn't know if he was friendly or not. The neighbor's dog is a larger dog, similar to a Pit Bull.

As the dog approached us, I was very scared, which I am sure my puppy sensed. Unfortunately my puppy is skittish and doesn't read dog language well. The dog was trying to 'play' with my puppy, which freaked her out and she was barking and growling. I freaked out and started screaming for the neighbor to get their dog.
Finally someone came over to help, pulled the dog away and I went inside.

Needless to say if this happens again, I am curious how to act better to help my puppy? I am sure my reaction didn't help much, and God forbid an unfriendly dog gets lose I want to know how to best handle it. Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2014, 01:19 PM

107 posts, read 152,117 times
I have always picked my pups up if a large dog starts charging toward us...of course, that can result in injury to you if the dog isn't friendly (I had that happen once as a kid when I was carrying a sick stray kitten home).

I'd like to know what others do too as this recently happened to my boyfriend while he was walking one of our dogs...the other dog was going on a walk with his/her owner OFF-LEASH and ran up snarling and nipping at our puppy who is about a quarter of his size. Apparently the woman totally froze and did nothing to get her dog off of ours, so my boyfriend basically pinned it down and yelled at the lady to get control of her dog (though I think he used other "language"). Luckily it didn't bite him.

Old 04-25-2014, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ldydrgnfly View Post
I have always picked my pups up if a large dog starts charging toward us...of course, that can result in injury to you if the dog isn't friendly (I had that happen once as a kid when I was carrying a sick stray kitten home).

I'd like to know what others do too as this recently happened to my boyfriend while he was walking one of our dogs...the other dog was going on a walk with his/her owner OFF-LEASH and ran up snarling and nipping at our puppy who is about a quarter of his size. Apparently the woman totally froze and did nothing to get her dog off of ours, so my boyfriend basically pinned it down and yelled at the lady to get control of her dog (though I think he used other "language"). Luckily it didn't bite him.
Oh I hate it when I can't edit my posts! I mean LOOSE not lose dog.

I was going to pick her up, but literally just froze. I do not do well under pressure! I kept thinking back to when we went to puppy classes our trainer said to let the leash go so she could react like a puppy. Well, outside on a walk, that isn't realistic!

Old 04-25-2014, 07:25 AM

4,231 posts, read 15,424,202 times
Maybe take a can of pepper spray if the dog is charging at you - ? Would have to be careful w/ it and make sure the wind is blowing the right way.

Another thought and this may sound simplistic is just in a calm loud authoritative voice, tell the dog to Sit - it's a basic command and maybe (hopefully) he's had some training that would click in til help comes - scary situation - good luck -

Old 04-25-2014, 08:23 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,527,236 times
I have a little yorkie that is terrified of big dogs - especially when a strange one is running toward her. I pick her up very quickly in that situation and have gotten pretty good at reacting fast.

Unfortunately, that leaves my Westie to fend for himself (i'm usually walking two) which seems unfair so if anyone has a word of advice for me, I'd appreciate that as well.

IF the dog approaching us is about my Westie's size, I tell the owner that I'm going to let my dog go if he doesn't get his dog immediately. It's not fair for Ringo to be at the end of a leash if the other dog is loose and being aggressive. Ringo can be aggressive too; but he's always on a leash.

I really hate how people treat our beautiful city parks as dog parks where their dogs can run free. They are not. We do have plenty of dog parks where their dogs CAN run free.

One time two german shephards came running to us on a trail and my son (probably age 11) at the time, picked up Ringo. The dogs were both surrounding my son and I was terrified. The dog owners were calling their dogs who were not paying them the slightest attention. I was so MAD. They kept calling (that's how far away their owners were) 'they're friendly; they're friendly'. I kept yelling for them to GET YOUR DOG; GET YOUR DOGS. It was so scary and my son refused to put Ringo down.

It turned out ok but . . I have never forgotten it.

Old 04-26-2014, 04:57 AM

13,887 posts, read 13,671,534 times
This is my greatest fear. I used to live in a complex where dogs from chiwawas to pitties ran loose and management would do ZERO about it. I started carrying a stun gun. My dog has a scar across her face from being attacked by 2 hideous chiwawas. All the while, the owner says his dogs won't hurt anybody because they're little.

My dog is always on leash when we're outside. I can control her. I can't control her and someone else's dog when one is loose.

I don't give a rip if the other dog is friendly. If it's loose and runs toward me and my dog, there's a good chance it will get zapped. Fortunately, it hasn't been a problem where I live now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by veuvegirl View Post
Oh I hate it when I can't edit my posts! I mean LOOSE not lose dog.

I was going to pick her up, but literally just froze. I do not do well under pressure! I kept thinking back to when we went to puppy classes our trainer said to let the leash go so she could react like a puppy. Well, outside on a walk, that isn't realistic!
My heartfelt thanks for spelling "skittish" correctly. lol.

Old 04-26-2014, 06:29 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,022,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Cooper View Post
This is my greatest fear. I used to live in a complex where dogs from chiwawas to pitties ran loose and management would do ZERO about it. I started carrying a stun gun. My dog has a scar across her face from being attacked by 2 hideous chiwawas. All the while, the owner says his dogs won't hurt anybody because they're little.

My dog is always on leash when we're outside. I can control her. I can't control her and someone else's dog when one is loose.

I don't give a rip if the other dog is friendly. If it's loose and runs toward me and my dog, there's a good chance it will get zapped. Fortunately, it hasn't been a problem where I live now.

My heartfelt thanks for spelling "skittish" correctly. lol.
It's Chihuahua by the way....and yes, all dogs should be on a leash. Loose dogs are handled by animal control or the local Human Society.

Two of my biggest pet peeves are unruly children and unruly dogs. Both need to be trained and their parents/owners should have 'control' of them at all times.

Old 04-26-2014, 08:10 AM

2,775 posts, read 3,761,356 times
I have been contemplating on purchasing a cattle prod. I have found pepper spray/mase is dangerous during windy weather and can in-fact backfire and end up spraying yourself or your dog. With a cattle prod, its not necessary to actually zap the offending dog, just triggering the cattle prod makes a loud ZZZAPPP! noise which is enough for most loose dogs to back off. Believe me, when your pup has been attacked once or twice by a stray, these measures are appropriate. Its necessary to do what you have to do in order to protect yourself and your dog.

Old 04-26-2014, 08:34 AM

621 posts, read 1,422,174 times
The absolutely worse thing for you to do is panic!!!!! The second worse is to turn your back on a strange dog. More people get bit in the butt that way and you are giving the strange dog the upper hand.

If you see a strange dog heading toward you
1. Stand up straight and as tall as you can, throw your shoulders back and walk toward the dog in a strong way. Stamp you foot. But don't stare at the other dog either! Look past him, above him but don't stare at him. That's a challenge.

2. Use your lowest, meanest, most guttural voice you can muster and tell him to "Go Home" or "Get outa Here", but almost growl it... low voice

3. Get between it and your dog if possible, or if you pick yours up, tuck the dog up under your arm.

4. Don't scream, don't back away, don't flail your arms. If you have a stick, purse, anything at all like that, put it in front of you and keep it there. Use it as a shield

The vast majority of dogs can be bluffed into backing off and going away as long as you stand your ground and act strong! Act terrified, run away, start screaming and you are setting yourself up for a bite. If the owners are nearby and are telling you the dogs are safe, then talk to the dog quietly until the owners get there. Use a friendly voice, gentle and calm.

Best of all, teach your own dogs not to get all hyped up when they see a strange dog. That will save him, and you, a ton of grief. Too many leashed dogs invite an attack by getting totally nuts when loose dogs are around them. Just because yours is on a leash doesn't give them the right to act like Cujo either!

Old 04-26-2014, 09:50 AM

Thank you, excellent post Duvalier. I know my reaction was horrid? When we see anothe leashed dog, I am fine and encourage her to approach and be friendly. I just had no idea what to do not knowing the other dog.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs