U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2014, 11:15 PM

158 posts, read 438,337 times

Advertisements

Wow diabetic! Didn't know dogs so young could get it! If it is giardia/coccidia wouldn't my older dog here show symptoms? She's out in the garden (there is 2.5acres) all the time, more than the puppy. Il ask the vet to see if she's checked for it.
The breeder does seem to be very reputable, she's always at boxer shows and her dogs always seem to win the top prizes! She seemed like she really loved her boxer dogs, one of her dogs in her lounge was 15/16yrs old! xxx
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2014, 04:14 PM

Update: Arnie is back home after 2 nights (3days) at the vets. He's GSD several blood tests (kidney check, food absorption in gut check, pancreatic function, infection count) and tests in his poop to check for all parasites. He's been on IV fluids as he was severely dehydrated when he got to vets (no surprise as poor lil fella couldn't stop bein sick n refused food/drink for a whole day!) and IV antibiotics. They have also put him in a sensitive stomachs dog food by royal Canin (vet prescription food). He's very bright, alert, playful and he's hot a good appetite (though he is only allowed 1/2 can of food per meal -6 meals a day) till tues when we have follow up apt with the vet he was a lil sick she we got home n runny poops but think that was to do wiv the car (he's not a great traveler!). Test results due back mon/tues. We've all missed him, inc baker out 6yr old staffi who told my other half "where's her Arnie" by dropping Arnie's collar at his feet and barking at him! Bless! xxx

Old 04-26-2014, 04:16 PM

Had not GSD !!

Old 04-27-2014, 10:27 AM

857 posts, read 1,769,564 times
Thanks for caring so lovingly for this doggie.
He must have cost you a lot of English Pounds.

Old 05-11-2014, 02:37 AM

He's been ill since then :/ cost close to 2000 now :/ with blood tests, fecal tests, scans, hospitalisation... The list goes on! Since the last post: he came home from vets, was doing very well, eating well, pooing well (no diarrhoea or vomiting) n was gaining weight. Went from 12.2kg to 13.8kg in less than a week. Then last weekend he had extreme diarrhoea -blood in poo. Was still eating but had explosive poo every time he ate! We were worried he was going to dehydrate fast -so back to vets. More antibiotics, this time round steroids too. More scans. Scan says all his intestines are red and angry. Caused by camparabacta bacteria :/ and his body is having an over the top reaction to it :/ he's still in the vets. Had diarrhoea all week at vets -been on IV fluids all week... Now he's off food a bit now -according to vet! I'm so worried he's just not getting better! He was doing well for a week after him coming home. Then we had a spell of warm weather, so he had lots of time outside (chance to get plenty of chicken poo n compost down his neck!! His fav snack.. Yuk!). We tried to keep an eye on him -but with 2.5acres of land around our house its tricky! I just don't know what we can do to help him we've been visiting him in the vets (worried he will forget who we are at this rate!).

Old 05-11-2014, 07:26 AM

3,413 posts, read 5,108,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wild_spirited_elz View Post
Caused by camparabacta bacteria .
Do you mean camphylobacter?

http://animalhealthcareveterinary.bl...s-in-dogs.html

I had a foster dog with this and the vet treated him with tetracycline. He was a bit older than your pup when diagnosed and made a full recovery. It is rather contagious and you need to be extra careful in dealing with him, his poop, etc.

If he came from the breeder with this condition I think she should help with the cost of treatment.

Old 05-11-2014, 12:20 PM

That's what I meant, sorry bad spelling he didn't have it from the first day -but certainly after about a week he started with the sickness and diarrhoea. Il check out ur link and mention tetracycline to the vet xxx

Old 05-11-2014, 04:49 PM

513 posts, read 596,194 times
I bought my saint and she had similar issues. She had worms and a yeast infection in her ears. We got the meds and got rid of those two problems but then she started throwing up and having bad diarrhea. I got her the best food possible, orijen, blue buffalo. She was still having watery diarrhea. So we ended up cooking chicken and rice for a week then slowly mixing in what the vet gave us (prescription diet) and some antibiotics. Took a while but she is fine now.

Old 05-12-2014, 06:48 AM

Arnie update: Well vets think it could be Histiocytic ulcerative colitis... Which boxers are more prone to. He's so poorly :,( it's breaking my heart! I saw him yesterday, he's a bag of bones! They said he's only managing 1-1/2 cans of food a day! N poos it out so quickly!!! I'm so worried n scared that were gona loose him he's really fighting for his life! Please pray I'm so distraught and upset -sat here sobbing my heart out they are performing an endoscopy and taking biopsies of his gut to get it analysed to double check they have got they're suspicions about it being Histiocytic ulcerative colitis right :/ if that is it (kinda hoping so) then they can treat him with a different antibiotic! If its not then I don't know what we're gona do :,( I don't wana put him to sleep! I love him too much he's too young! He's not lived his life yet and he's so full of life!!! xxx

Old 05-12-2014, 01:14 PM

811 posts, read 1,190,503 times
Check out University of Bristol School of Veterinary Science. Bristol University | School of Veterinary Sciences | Diagnostics

I am a firm believer in going to one of these medical schools if you cannot get to the bottom of something as they have many more resources than your local vet. If the above can't help you, check out another. I believe the U of Cambridge is very good. I realise it will be a drive but anything for your dog, right?
Cambridge Veterinary School: Research

It is worth a couple of phone calls at least. I do hope you get it all sorted out, poor boy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or