U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2014, 03:08 PM

4,706 posts, read 10,136,984 times

Advertisements

When Dash was alive my vet wrote prescriptions and I got many of them filled at Costco and they even had a slight price break for meds for pets, you got a special card and I want to say 10% off but that was a few years ago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2014, 04:51 PM

2,172 posts, read 2,516,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Singlelady10 View Post
Recently, I switched vets due to costs. I have 2 dogs that are on heart worm preventatives. The new vet gave me a hard time about ordering heart worm pills online instead of in his office. I explained that I have 2 dogs, one weighing 9lbs and the other 70lbs so it gets expensive to order for 2 dogs from his office and that is the most cost effective way. This vets office charges 2x more than the online company. The online company is Doctor Foster and Smith.

Does the vet have the right to withhold my dogs prescription because I don't order from his office?

I find it unacceptable because I pay for the care. I plan to switch to another vet this summer but don't want to have to worry about this problem again.
I at one point was looking into getting my pups heartworm meds off of 1800petmeds. I have been told, from my old vet, that they would not allow a prescription for an online order to this company as they felt 1800petmeds was an online black market prescription seller. Not sure if this was true or not. My new vet however, is really thoughtful and has even given us the option to fill our prescriptions at a human pharmacy as to save a ton of $$. I like our new vet!

Old 04-29-2014, 07:05 PM

1,117 posts, read 1,708,841 times
I don't know about where others live but here in FL we can obtain certain pet meds from human pharmacies for free. I get antibiotics from Publix for free, my vet told me to go there, I've also gone to Walgreen's and had prescriptions filled but had to pay for them there.

It is highly unethical for ANY healthcare professional to tell you that you 'must' use their service for anything, heck, it's illegal for a company to do that, it's even got a name when a company tries to do that on a large scale, 'monopoly' and not the game! They can't even withhold your medical information with rare exceptions, (psychiatric records for example) they may charge you a fee but they must release it to you if you request it.

If I went to a vet who tried that I'd challenge him/her then look for another provider because I'd know that person was more interested in making money than providing care for my fur friends. I happily pay the fair market value for services, the vet has bills and must make a living, but that's not what you're describing.

Old 04-29-2014, 07:11 PM

7,103 posts, read 5,384,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaredC View Post
I at one point was looking into getting my pups heartworm meds off of 1800petmeds. I have been told, from my old vet, that they would not allow a prescription for an online order to this company as they felt 1800petmeds was an online black market prescription seller. Not sure if this was true or not. My new vet however, is really thoughtful and has even given us the option to fill our prescriptions at a human pharmacy as to save a ton of $$. I like our new vet!
They sell heartworm meds at human pharmacies like CVS and Walgreens?

Old 04-29-2014, 07:21 PM

43,012 posts, read 92,061,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orion2 View Post
I don't know about where others live but here in FL we can obtain certain pet meds from human pharmacies for free. I get antibiotics from Publix for free, my vet told me to go there, I've also gone to Walgreen's and had prescriptions filled but had to pay for them there.

It is highly unethical for ANY healthcare professional to tell you that you 'must' use their service for anything, heck, it's illegal for a company to do that, it's even got a name when a company tries to do that on a large scale, 'monopoly' and not the game! They can't even withhold your medical information with rare exceptions, (psychiatric records for example) they may charge you a fee but they must release it to you if you request it.
Some of us live in states where vets can refuse to provide prescriptions for you to buy elsewhere.

Old 04-30-2014, 08:00 AM

2,172 posts, read 2,516,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Singlelady10 View Post
They sell heartworm meds at human pharmacies like CVS and Walgreens?
Good question, I do not think so. But! I could be wrong. I know though, that 1800petmeds sells these much cheaper.

Old 05-09-2019, 01:12 PM

3,160 posts, read 1,968,185 times
I'm having this same issue. Wolfies' vet just goes ahead and places the medications on our bill,
as they have an in-hospital pharmacy. When I checked his 6 mo. prescription for Trifexis, they charged
us 147.50. Then I checked the same 6 mo. price at Chewy. 97.50! I also checked the link left by willow wind
(thank you!) and Florida does allow us to ask that the script be written so I can purchase the medication
elsewhere. I will definitely have wife tell them this as soon as she walks in. They are an expensive vet to
begin with, but we opted for them because they are very close (good for emergency) good Dr.s, and his
Dr. absolutely loves Pyrs, as an Owner of one herself.
But I don't feel like handing them an extra 100. bucks a year of my hard earned money.

Old 05-09-2019, 01:27 PM

36,981 posts, read 45,435,337 times
I order pet meds from either Allivet, or Chewy, depending. They send a request to my vetís office for a faxed prescription. I feel kind of guilty because our vet has been very kind to us and has not billed us when two of our pets died. It also costs the office time to return a fax.

I might start buying Revolution from the vet, even for a bit more $$, because thatís all my dog takes now.

Old 05-09-2019, 01:36 PM

1,706 posts, read 541,483 times
OP needs a new vet. You should not tolerate a vet who puts his or her profits above your ability to care properly for your pets. Find someone else.

Old 05-09-2019, 02:07 PM

28 posts, read 5,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I order pet meds from either Allivet, or Chewy, depending. They send a request to my vetís office for a faxed prescription. I feel kind of guilty because our vet has been very kind to us and has not billed us when two of our pets died. It also costs the office time to return a fax.

I might start buying Revolution from the vet, even for a bit more $$, because thatís all my dog takes now.
I use Allivet and I love them!
My big guy has hip dysplasia and arthritis and I give him monthly Adequan shots. My vet also prescribed carprofen and gabapentin for inflammation and pain. He does well with this combination of meds and he gets tested at the vet every six months to check his liver. Surgery is not an option for him with multiple joint problems and his size. And yes, I've had multiple opinions from highly regarded vets.

If it wasn't for the lower prices from online pharmacies, I don't think I'd be able to make him as comfortable as he is with the meds he is taking. And my vet has no problem at all with writing the prescriptions for them. Even suggested that I get the gabapentin at my local store because they had the cheapest price.

I do get the heartworm medicine once a year for both my dogs when I get their yearly heartworm test done. It's a little more expensive at the vet but I don't mind...they've been wonderful with my Freddie and I'm grateful for the care they have given him. He's the best dog ever.
Attached Thumbnails
Vets and Prescription-wp_20150506_12_07_24_pro.jpg  
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or