U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2014, 09:25 AM

12,775 posts, read 7,793,012 times

Advertisements

You know, reading about this makes me remember the first time I took one of my dogs to the vet after he had a series of seizures. He has epilepsy, which he is being treated for, but then he had a 'cluster' seizure. I thought he was going to die and rushed him to the vet.

The vet started talking to me about euthanizing my dog. He was only around 2 years old at the time. No way was I going to give up on him! I told the vet I'd take my chances and see if he improved.

My dog is almost seven years old now; still takes medication and still has those seizures (occasionally, like once every three months).

This thread just had me wondering why the vet would be so quick to bring up putting him to sleep.

Scary.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2014, 10:45 AM

22,563 posts, read 16,717,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquietpath View Post
You would think so.
Apparently there is another vet practicing at the same clinic. Even if Dr. Tierce was senile and making odd decisions, what about the other vet who witnessed these atrocities? There's been no mention of him or his activities in the news reports.

The clinic was filthy, filled with trash and smelled. Doesn't say much for the other vet in the practice, the employees and the people bringing their pets there, does it?

If a vets office looks and smells bad, why would you think your pet would get good care there? Also, I am very suspicious when I am not allowed to accompany my pet beyond the examining room.
Each and every person who worked there, and saw this go on over the years, needs to be held accountable. I don't want to hear the tired excuse that they weren't the ones who did this to the animals, because as far as I'm concerned, if you don't say anything, you are just as guilty as the person doing it.

As someone asked, how could anyone walk in to work, day after day, and see a Border Collie....a fricken Border Collie...sit in a cage, the same cage, in the same spot, day after day after day, and they never. said. a damn. thing? I don't care what anyone thinks, that is my belief, and I will stand by it to the day I die. If you witnessed something like this happen, and you didn't say a %##@%$*U& word, then you are just as guilty for those animals' suffering.

Old 05-02-2014, 12:36 PM

2,057 posts, read 1,116,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
Each and every person who worked there, and saw this go on over the years, needs to be held accountable. I don't want to hear the tired excuse that they weren't the ones who did this to the animals, because as far as I'm concerned, if you don't say anything, you are just as guilty as the person doing it.

As someone asked, how could anyone walk in to work, day after day, and see a Border Collie....a fricken Border Collie...sit in a cage, the same cage, in the same spot, day after day after day, and they never. said. a damn. thing? I don't care what anyone thinks, that is my belief, and I will stand by it to the day I die. If you witnessed something like this happen, and you didn't say a %##@%$*U& word, then you are just as guilty for those animals' suffering.
HALELUJAH AND AMEN!

El Nox

Old 05-02-2014, 01:28 PM

43,012 posts, read 92,000,781 times
His dog wasn't kept in a cage. One article said he was on the "same slab for 6 months." Another says "same position in the same place on the floor for 6 months." Another article says he was kept in a box in an exam room. Maybe he was on the slab for 6 months and moved to a box since the witness last saw it.

The whistleblower came forward as soon as she realized what was happening. She states that she worked there when Sid was brought in by the owners, and six months later she discovered Sid was alive and called the owners. One earlier article said "when she returned to work this year." Maybe she was on maternity leave or something.

That doesn't explain the rest of the workers. There's no way so many dogs could have been mistreated for such a long period of time and people didn't see. It took this one woman to come forward as soon as she realized what happened. He says she was fired and is a disgruntled workers, but the earliest reports say that she confronted him about what he was doing and quit. I believe her story over his and all of his other workers, especially since she is the one who did the right thing and blew the whistle.

Last edited by Hopes; 05-02-2014 at 01:37 PM..

Old 05-02-2014, 01:55 PM

This Daily Mail article has more information.

'Vampire vet' Dr Millard Tierce kept 5 dogs alive meant to be euthanized | Mail Online

Quote:
The Harris family's lawyer, James Eggleston, wrote that Dr Tierce also harvested organs of some pets in his care...
That means some owners dogs were told their pets died when he really killed them to harvest organs!

Quote:
According to the lawyer, at least a dozen former clinic workers and clients have come forward with information on Dr Tierce's misconduct dating back to 1997, the Weatherford Democrat reported.
Not only does this mean that this wasn't recent due to old age and senility, but it means workers for over decades didn't come forward.

Old 05-02-2014, 02:07 PM

There are two whistleblowers:

Quote:
spokesman for Eggleston, Flowers & King LLP said the firm is also representing Brewer and former clinic employee Karen Covington as whistle blowers. The Harrises are expected to file a civil lawsuit against the clinic.

- See more at: Vet arrested on animal cruelty charges Front Page Weatherford Democrat

Old 05-02-2014, 05:45 PM

Police are looking for more witnesses and asking people to file reports.

I'm posting the following since CD comes up in the top of google searches in case any witnesses search about veterinarian Tierce and Sid in Fort Worth.

"But the police department did say anyone who would like to file a report in regards to this case should call the FWPD non-emergency number of 817-335-4222 and explain they would like to make a report regarding the Camp Bowie Animal Clinic. They should also mention related report number 14-37697."

Documents: 5 Animals Not Euthanized at Texas Vet Accused of Abuse - NBC News

Old 05-02-2014, 07:43 PM

I'm trying to connect the dots at the holes in the story.

I figured out why some articles said Sid was there for a year and many others say he was there for 6 months.

The owners took the dog in May 2013 for minor anal gland surgery. He said this new "cold lazer" surgery required a long recovery. The dog was there from May to September. When the visited in September, Sid couldn't walk, his hind quarters were dragging because he had been inhumanely caged. Frankenstein told them he had degenerative myelopathy and recommended Sid be PTS, which was September. That's why most articles say 6 months when Sid was really there for a year.

I'm blown away that any owner would think it's normal for a dog to spend months with a vet for anal gland surgery. Imagine their vet bill.

Old 05-02-2014, 07:51 PM

This PDF is floating around, but I can't find articles releasing this information.

http://media.nbcbayarea.com/document...ory+of+Sid.pdf

The employee says she was reprimanded when she tried to bath Sid and was forbidden from walking him.

She says she was threatened and punched in the face when she said she would report him.

He also punched a dog in the head when anesthesia wasn't sedating it quickly enough.

Old 05-02-2014, 11:47 PM

2,057 posts, read 1,116,395 times
The link doesn't work for me.

I don't understand how an employee gets punched by the employer and does not call the cops on the spot.

I wonder if there will ever be a straight story about this.

BTW ... keep up the good work on trying to follow it.

El Nox
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or