U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-30-2014, 06:32 PM

7,310 posts, read 4,931,206 times

Advertisements

Five houses down lives the irresponsible dog owner. They moved in about eight months ago. Right after they moved in they got a black Labrador puppy. As it grew up over the short months it was around, it ran the streets, barking, dodging cars, being chased by kids on bikes who live there (about five kids all under 10).

Two months after the black lab pup disappears (likely run over, hit by car, or taken away), they get a Chihuahua. In their minds they figure a smaller dog is less trouble? Anyway, this dog also runs the neighborhood barking, chasing after joggers, running into people's houses, also dodging in and out of traffic, with the five kids (supposedly in charge) running and screaming after him. He chased one jogger two blocks, nipping at his heels and barking the entire time.

I've managed to avoid this terror when I walk my own dogs. However, today, the dog was running wild right across from my house. Of course, my own (leashed) dog went ballistic, and the Chihuahua made a beeline towards us. I then dragged my dogs by the leash in the middle of them doing their business and made it into my house without anything happening. However, the dog circled my house from front door to back barking, while the kids (five houses down) kept trying to call the dog back.

Absolutely livid. My dog has been attacked before by dogs off of a leash being "controlled" by kids under 10 so I had a little bit of a panic not knowing what was going to happen (my dog needed surgery and I was dragged on the cement when they had ahold of him). I know a little Chihuahua can't do much damage, but one of my dogs is not friendly, and who knows if this dog has his shots. Judging by the way they let him run wild, I would say no. I carry pepper spray but no way I would spray that little dog.

He terrorizes the neighborhood and it's a matter of time before this poor dog suddenly "disappears." Irresponsible dog owners is a pet peeve of mine, just had to vent!
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2014, 03:19 AM

8,584 posts, read 18,921,591 times
And you haven't called Animal Control, your HOA or the police why?

It doesn't matter how big the dog or how little the dog....no dog should be acting like this. Call AC, call your HOA and call the police.

Old 05-01-2014, 03:47 AM

10,380 posts, read 5,865,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post
And you haven't called Animal Control, your HOA or the police why?

It doesn't matter how big the dog or how little the dog....no dog should be acting like this. Call AC, call your HOA and call the police.
This. Do it yesterday.

Old 05-01-2014, 04:47 AM

947 posts, read 1,171,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
This. Do it yesterday.
Call 911 and report the dog running around with a leash and that it often attacks joggers and other dogs. Most areas even if they do not have a leash law will charge the owners with various criminal offenses.

Dog owners have protections but only if the animal is on a leash or is in an enclosed area when the dog bites someone. Off a leash it's criminal charges if the dog bites someone.

Have to had deal with such matters. If someone is walking a dog with a leash go around them. Because if the owners signals for you to not come close and you do so anyway and the dog bites the cops will not file charges against the dog owner. As for suing forget it as well.

Old 05-01-2014, 08:01 AM

19,635 posts, read 12,392,376 times
Call animal control and place a "dog at large" complaint. Venting here is fine, but nothing is going to improve until you make the call.

Old 05-01-2014, 08:39 AM

3,279 posts, read 4,051,980 times
Maybe you should release your dogs onto it when it comes onto your place.

I don't understand what it is about dog owners, so many of them are a`s-s`hats, frankly. Owners of little dogs are especially so. I've noticed similarities between owners of little dogs and parents of spoiled children, especially the all too common scenario of the noisy child in a nice restaurant whose parents won't control him. In both cases, the owner/parent does nothing because their little dog/child is just so cute and anything you suggest to them to correct the behavior is automatically dismissed as "abuse."

Bullfeathers. I guarantee you that if the owner of the little dog the original poster was referencing would put a boot up that dog's a`s-s or have it properly trained by a professional trainer, that behavior would stop. If not, I wouldn't blame the OP or anyone else for, saying, turning their larger dog loose on them and then letting the chips fall where they may. If I were the jogger, I'd carry pepper spray and get that dog with it. If the dog owners don't like it, they can control their dog better. It's 100% on them, 0% on the people minding their own business. "No way I'd spray that dog." I would, in a minute.

Last edited by shyguylh; 05-01-2014 at 08:53 AM..

Old 05-04-2014, 08:36 PM

16,025 posts, read 19,571,183 times
I would call Child protective services, report how the children, as you described......are having to run after this dog, endangering themselves for sure while doing so. I am like you....I think this is ridiculous and I would be livid. But, those kids sound like they are neglected and being endangered trying to control this dog...

Old 05-05-2014, 04:47 AM

10,380 posts, read 5,865,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shyguylh View Post
Maybe you should release your dogs onto it when it comes onto your place.

I don't understand what it is about dog owners, so many of them are a`s-s`hats, frankly. Owners of little dogs are especially so. I've noticed similarities between owners of little dogs and parents of spoiled children, especially the all too common scenario of the noisy child in a nice restaurant whose parents won't control him. In both cases, the owner/parent does nothing because their little dog/child is just so cute and anything you suggest to them to correct the behavior is automatically dismissed as "abuse."

Bullfeathers. I guarantee you that if the owner of the little dog the original poster was referencing would put a boot up that dog's a`s-s or have it properly trained by a professional trainer, that behavior would stop. If not, I wouldn't blame the OP or anyone else for, saying, turning their larger dog loose on them and then letting the chips fall where they may. If I were the jogger, I'd carry pepper spray and get that dog with it. If the dog owners don't like it, they can control their dog better. It's 100% on them, 0% on the people minding their own business. "No way I'd spray that dog." I would, in a minute.

So your solution is to facilitate an attack by larger dogs? Great.

Old 05-05-2014, 09:54 AM

3,279 posts, read 4,051,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
I would call Child protective services, report how the children, as you described......are having to run after this dog, endangering themselves for sure while doing so. I am like you....I think this is ridiculous and I would be livid. But, those kids sound like they are neglected and being endangered trying to control this dog...
I must disagree most emphatically with this. It's off-topic somewhat, but I think there is way way way too much calling of social services these days. Except in extreme cases, parents shouldn't have to answer to someone else for how they parent their children. You open up a huge can of worms when you do so and can really wreck a lot of damage to a family in doing so. It is NOT the harmless call it's made out to be. Except in extreme cases, I think it's tantamount to interfering and meddling in a family's private business and undermines parental authority, which in all but the most extreme cases should be absolute and beyond any ability for anyone to interfere into. As much as I despise a nuisance dog, retaliating by bringing down the pain on their family situation that way is most totally playing dirty, and besides depending on the particulars of the road & the ages of the children, to me children running around near the road is NOT a neglectful situation at all.

If you see the mother knocking their child aside the head with a 2x4, if you have reason to really believe that there's molestation etc going on, okay. For children just running around, no no no. Children running in the street is not in & of itself neglect, in fact, I think we need MORE children playing in the street. Too many parents overprotect and make their children stay off the road 100% even on roads made for it, roads complete with "Slow, Children Playing" Signs, 25 mph speed limits, cul-de-sac dead-end designs and speed bumps.

It's not up the children to stay off such roads totally while people zoom down roads not made for "rat runners" {Rat running - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia} taking shortcuts to work. Such roads are totally different than 4-lane highways MADE for heavy traffic, and drivers should respect the environment. If I lived on such a road, you better believe I'd not only let but even encourage my kids (ages 5 & 7) to play on that road, and would consider that my prerogative and choice as the parent of those children. My parenting decisions are NOT up for discussion or voting by proxy, you parent your children your way, I'll parent my children MY way.

Back to the original topic:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
So your solution is to facilitate an attack by larger dogs? Great.
If the larger dog only scares the smaller dog away vs mauling it, I say yes. If it fixes the problem, then so be it. I had to resort to that to fix a similar problem with my neighbor, who got a yorkie that kept trespassing onto my property harassing me over here. I got sick & tired of it always coming over here while I was managing just fine with keeping my much larger (but gentle) dog restrained and under control. I figured "well, if their dog can run loose, so can mine" and I started turning it loose when their yorkie trespassed over here. It never hurt their dog, but it sure scared the daylights out of it. It also got the neighbors to quickly fix the problem rather than hemming & hawing about it as they had been.

Last edited by shyguylh; 05-05-2014 at 10:03 AM..

Old 05-05-2014, 09:57 AM

7,310 posts, read 4,931,206 times
I think others have complained. I know their immediate neighbor has because he has complained to us and whenever the kids come home from school, he takes off. I guess the kids are always running and screaming in front of his house and he is retired and just wants a quiet life.

Another elderly couple just moved in across the street and the dog nearly ran into their home while they were moving in. Also, the jogger might have complained because the dog kept nipping at him and may have bitten him. Another neighbor I see walking her dog across the street I notice has also taken a different path as I have to walk her dog. I waited until my husband got home from work the next day so he could be a look out (lol) in case this dog came after us. The day this happened he chased us into our home and my dogs were waiting to do the rest of their business while this little terror circled the house. I went out and kind of shooed him away and the kids were calling him back. The entire thing was a little humorous because this little 5 pound Chihuahua is terrorizing an entire block of people. I'm not scared of him, but the circumstances that might evolve when animals not under control come in contact with one another. Been there, done that.

Anyways since the day I posted, I have not heard the screaming or barking. If it kept happening we were going to go down to the local police department. I just feel bad for the dog, it's not his fault and I just see something awful happening to him, either a person hurting him or just getting run over.

Thanks for the responses, I see others share my grievance over this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs