Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2014, 06:34 PM

6,591 posts, read 24,779,642 times

Advertisements

I must add that I think interms of awards for the most adorable face...
NOTHING can beat a cocker spaniel Puppy

could You say NO to this face?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2014, 06:52 PM

320 posts, read 478,042 times
Count me in as one those people who loves 'em all. However, to answer the question: I adore the mutts. They run the spectrum in terms of appearance and each is a one of kind, like a masterpiece. We've always adopted mixed breeds. The love of my life was a collie/ golden blend. She was so incredibly beautiful and sweet.

Old 05-03-2014, 07:20 PM

6,870 posts, read 11,184,261 times
Smile What I love....

I just love Shelties and Collies, well, really any dog with a long nose. I don't why but those long noses get to me.

Always loved dogs though and it's nice to see a breed you don't see everyday.

Old 05-03-2014, 07:21 PM

17,156 posts, read 12,865,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
In a dog show, the dogs are not compared to the other dogs. They are compared to their own breed standard. The dog who comes closest to his own standard is the one that wins the show.
+1. Many spectators aren't aware that the dogs in dog shows aren't competing against one another, but each dog is competing against their own breed standard. However, what exactly typifies the breed standard is not a completely objective thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gcs15 View Post
What breeds of dogs would you consider to be the cutest, best looking, etc. ?
My top 5 would be:
1.) Saint Bernard
2.) German Shepherd Dog (especially long haired, and white ones)
3.) Newfoundland
4.) Bernese Mountian Dog
5.) Great Dane

The most overrated dogs (IMHO):
1.) Any doodle (golden doodle, labradoodle, etc)
2.) Lab
3.) chihuahua
4.) Beagles
5.) Wire Fox Terrier

I may offend some people, but its just an opinion. I don't understand how terriers always win dog shows when there are so many other beautiful and intelligent dogs out there.

What are your thoughts? Top dogs, overrated ones?
+1. I agree with most of your thoughts, OP. I am just as much a big dog lover as yourself, however, I would put Great Danes in the top spot since I've owned them 20+ years.
I am also not a Chihuahua fan. Their temperament, looks, and behavior makes them win the award for ugliest dogs of all time by a landslide, IMO. Even my vet doesn't like Chihuahuas. After a Chihuahua bit part of my deaf Great Dane's ear off, I rushed her to him and explained the situation. He told me that Chihuahuas were mean; they were "land sharks."

Old 05-03-2014, 09:33 PM

82 posts, read 174,299 times
I may not be as experienced a dog owner as others, but can you really say a dog's breed determines its personality? My stepdaughter picked out a chihuahua years ago. I've heard lots of horror stories about the breed and it's "temperament". But the little guy was four months old at the time and bonded to me and I was always calm and gentle with him, and he's quite calm and gentle, too. Maybe dogs reflect back the temperaments of their owners, especially if the owner had the dog starting from when it was very young.

Old 05-03-2014, 09:42 PM

13,066 posts, read 20,732,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Monkey View Post
Count me in as one those people who loves 'em all. However, to answer the question: I adore the mutts. They run the spectrum in terms of appearance and each is a one of kind, like a masterpiece. We've always adopted mixed breeds. The love of my life was a collie/ golden blend. She was so incredibly beautiful and sweet.
Yes indeed!

The entire MUTT line is by far the cutest and ugliest all rolled together so that makes them number one in my book!

Old 05-03-2014, 10:27 PM

4,374 posts, read 11,179,858 times
cutest - Maltese

Old 05-03-2014, 10:48 PM

2,944 posts, read 4,964,118 times
I absolutely think many dogs are ugly. Most small breeds are. Weird bodies, smooshed faces, etc.

IMO the only cute small breeds tend to be the fluffy kind. Small poodles with a teddy bear cut, maltese, bichons, etc

I think Old English Sheepdogs are cute. There's something ridiculous cute and hilarious about not being able to see anything except for body, hair and a big ass nose on a dog. The nose isn't big but when it's all you see it looks like a jumbo black button.

Large breeds the same apply as with small. The ones with smooshed faces are ugly. Droopy faces too. Boston Terrier (really any with a similar face).

I like dogs with hair. Short haired dogs bother me. Rubbing them just feels weird. I'm not a cat person because I don't care for the personality, litter box and all that but really I can't stand the soft bodies. It's kind of creepy to hold. I like how a dog feels like a person. You feel hard bone and body. I feel like you could squeeze a cat with minimal pressure and harm them and it's creepy and kind of scary.

German Shepherds are the shortest haired I could take. Short haired like Dobermans. It's too short.

Old 05-04-2014, 12:27 AM
EA

6,791 posts, read 7,078,099 times
Cutest English Bulldog.
Ugliest English bulldog

Old 05-04-2014, 12:57 AM

5,323 posts, read 8,491,763 times
Cutest for me:

1. Pomeranian
2. Bernese Mountain Dog
3. Samoyed
4. long-haired Alaskan Malamute
5. Australian Shepard

Can you tell I like fluffy dogs????
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs