U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2014, 02:44 PM

13,904 posts, read 11,444,156 times

Advertisements

I like the wire crates. They have air movement and the dogs can see out of them.

Hate, hate plastic crates. Used to use them when I travelled the show circuit, but never at home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2014, 01:01 PM

1,237 posts, read 2,975,842 times
Thanks for all of the suggestions! I've learned that every dog is different and EVERY dog owner swears by what worked for them

Unfortunately I live in an apt and didn't really have an area to seclude her to so we had to stick with the crate. Also she only has a problem with the crate when I'm gone - she willingly goes to it when I'm home for sleeping or playing.

It's been about 3 weeks that I've had her and I finally was able to record her today to see how she does while I'm gone. My cam stopped after 3 hrs so I only have the initial 3 hrs but she didn't bark and just laid there! Success!! We did attempt a bark collar (the shock kind) and it seems that after just one use she learned not to bark...I have some follow up to do with this. She also has overall become more comfortable and calm with me and in the living situation. I did have to zip tie the crate at crucial points as she had 3 break outs in a weeks time. It did the trick.

I never really got the chance to try desensitizing, flooding, or conditioning with her....all things that were suggested and I'm sure are successful for some.

I am so very relieved that she seems to have just been going through an adjustment period vs having severe separation anxiety. My best suggestion for anyone with similar issues: try everything and see what works for you and give it time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or