U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2014, 06:34 PM

4 posts, read 8,770 times

Advertisements

thanks everyone! youve all been really helpful. My husband tells me Im being paranoid but Im just worried since we live on the 1st floor so everyone will notice us. I will try and ease my fears. Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2014, 06:36 PM

21,287 posts, read 11,516,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
I think if your dog doesn't cause problems, no one will care that he is 60 rather than 50. Especially if the lease and the online pay lease account (? - not really sure what that is) are conflicting. If the dog causes problems (ie he barks, damages stuff or you don't clean up after him) the landlord will use anything he can against you. That's usually how it works. It's not like he's a Great Dane or a Mastiff and weights over 100 lbs. The weight limit of 50 is their way of saying they don't want "large" dogs, but small and medium sized are ok.
The dog can be great, but there's always that one idiot who will make an issue of it because they don't have anything better to do. Like the ones who report neighbors for parking their trailers to close to the street and leaving their garbage cans in sight.

I guess I would approach it this way. Your dog is going over 50 lbs and I promise you someone will complain. So maybe now is the time to make a change, find a home for the dog and look for something different or get a cat.

Good luck.

Old 05-06-2014, 03:09 AM

8,583 posts, read 18,915,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
The dog can be great, but there's always that one idiot who will make an issue of it because they don't have anything better to do. Like the ones who report neighbors for parking their trailers to close to the street and leaving their garbage cans in sight.

I guess I would approach it this way. Your dog is going over 50 lbs and I promise you someone will complain. So maybe now is the time to make a change, find a home for the dog and look for something different or get a cat.

Good luck.
I have to agree...someone will complain....most likely a neighbor or staff member who see you out walking the dog. don't let that discourage you from walking the dog, he needs daily exercise, but get this straightened out now and get the correct weight in writing.

Sadly, a judge is going to go by what's in your lease...not their website or brochure.

Old 05-06-2014, 02:28 PM

12,387 posts, read 31,337,219 times
Katie a corgi their top limit for female is 28# My lease where I use to live said 25# nor over 12" Well she hit the 12" & Went over the 25# Before she was a fully trained Service Dog! They never said a word. On the other had the Min Pin I had before her went over the 12" limit he was 17" at 7 months & still growing they pestered me to death! His training wasn't going very well potty nor for SD so I ended up just giving him away to keep from worrying about the rules. Was told later that Min Pins were NOT allowed to begin with but Corgis were. That's why they bugged me about the min pin [exception would have been him being a sd...Service Dog]

Did you make sure that Boxes were not on the list of banned dogs? Here Boxers are not allowed nor can they visit!

Old 05-07-2014, 09:35 AM

1,117 posts, read 1,706,743 times
It'll depend on how things go. Where I live we have rules on pets and they are mostly ignored because people play nice. For example GSD's are not allowed but my neighbor was a security guard and had you guessed it a GSD for work. The dog was a model neighbor as was his owner so no one complained and management didn't peep. I doubt 10 pounds over the weight limit will be a deal breaker if you don't violate the lease in other conspicuous ways.

Remember the bottom line is just that and housing complexes are in business to keep it healthy. When tenants become problematic for any reason that's when they try to rid themselves of the problem. So, unless you have a nosy nancy/norman who complains I wouldn't worry.

But if you're still concerned start saving and looking for another place that will accept your pup =)

Old 05-07-2014, 09:55 AM

4,762 posts, read 10,987,092 times
What is a "GSD"?

Old 05-07-2014, 10:10 AM

2,853 posts, read 6,486,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy_J View Post
What is a "GSD"?

German Shephard Dog.

Old 05-07-2014, 10:20 AM

1,117 posts, read 1,706,743 times
Sorry!!! I forget not everyone speaks our shorthand!!

Old 05-07-2014, 05:03 PM

3,574 posts, read 13,093,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by strawberry11 View Post
Hi everyone!
So I need advice.....my husband and I are living in a 18 unit (and are fairly new to them) but just got a boxer puppy. The weight limit says 50 lbs on our lease which we just realized but the leasing agent told us 60 lbs when we saw the place a few months ago and on our pay lease account it says 100 lbs. Because of this we never realized the actual lease says 50. Regardless we told the agent when we took the apartment we would be getting a boxer and she said nothing. My boyfriend says Im being paranoid for no reason and even though the dog will eventually be 60 lbs as opposed to 50 its not like theyre going to weigh the dog on a dog scale. I don't know but Im paranoid. Tell me if you think this is a bad idea. The reason we moved in the first place was because we were planning on getting a boxer. Now that we have it Im worried we will be evicted eventually. Tell me your thoughts and thank you!
Please socialize the pup to all sorts of humans - kids, babies, adults - and puppy/dog obedience school, keep him on a leash when outside walking, get him neutered, and pick-up after him. I see nothing but good in the pup's future if you do these things (or something like this). Sweet pup!!

Old 05-07-2014, 05:06 PM

3,574 posts, read 13,093,103 times
BTW: I have a 6 year old neutered male Rottweilor weighs 104# now, but vet wants him under 100#
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs