Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2009, 02:11 PM

18,158 posts, read 15,616,786 times

Advertisements

Moderator cut: editno non sentient animal can be called "evil". That domain belongs strictly to the human race. The same humans that can make animals do "evil" things that actually go against their nature. I can't think of a single animal that I could equate to being evil per se... other than humans. Even my least favorite one..that would be the coyote.. does not do what it does out of a desire to be evil. It seems so sometimes but to call it such would be irrational.

Last edited by leorah; 01-08-2009 at 05:21 PM.. Reason: deleted reference to deleted post

Old 01-08-2009, 04:45 PM

1,348 posts, read 3,585,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
Moderator cut: edit no non sentient animal can be called "evil". That domain belongs strictly to the human race. The same humans that can make animals do "evil" things that actually go against their nature. I can't think of a single animal that I could equate to being evil per se... other than humans. Even my least favorite one..that would be the coyote.. does not do what it does out of a desire to be evil. It seems so sometimes but to call it such would be irrational.

Okay, fine. Then delete pit bulls by mandatory interbreeding with other dog breeds, like cocker spaniels. Moderator cut: deleted slur

Last edited by leorah; 01-08-2009 at 05:21 PM.. Reason: inappropriate comment

Old 01-08-2009, 04:54 PM

2,540 posts, read 6,228,513 times
Moderator cut: edit
Quote:
Originally Posted by xavierob82 View Post
Okay, fine. Then delete pit bulls by mandatory interbreeding with other dog breeds, like cocker spaniels. Moderator cut: edit
I think you're just trying to stir things up here. Don't blame the pit bull for being evil, blame the owners who abuse them to make fighting dogs out of them. Some owners have been known to cut the ears off so that they have a better chance w/ a fight. The way they do that is by putting a rubber band on the ear until the tip turns black and then they snip it off. Now who are you calling evil?

Interbreeding? Oh yes, that's just what we need more of. The only breeding that should be going on is by reputable breeders that want to improve the breed. Cockers are gay? Go back to reading dog breeds 101 before posting here.

Last edited by leorah; 01-08-2009 at 05:46 PM.. Reason: removed deleted phrase

Old 01-08-2009, 05:06 PM

1,271 posts, read 4,022,429 times
Moderator cut: edit
In response to your question "How much longer will the public put up with these vicious attacks?"

My guess is that as long as there are people who believe in the idea that pits only do this if they are trained to do so, it's going to be harder to get some sort of ban against owning these animals!

There's something physically different about the make-up of these animals, a reason why they are so aggressive...It's a wonder no one has taken the time to figure out what those issues are and why they are there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by donsabi View Post
Philadelphia PA, a pit bull attacked and killed a yorkie and injured the owner. The owner of the yorkie incurred $6k in vet bills in an effort to save the small dog. The pit bull responsible is being sought.
How much longer will the public put up with these vicious attacks? If a person were to do what these pit bulls do that person would be on death row. Guns are dangerous too, but they have to be fired, pit bull dogs go off by themselves. Please contact your politicians to get a ban on these vicious pit bulls.
Don

Last edited by leorah; 01-08-2009 at 05:45 PM.. Reason: No commenting on mod actions

Old 01-09-2009, 06:51 PM

181 posts, read 635,336 times
Quote:
There's something physically different about the make-up of these animals, a reason why they are so aggressive
Rubbish. Its the people...

Old 01-09-2009, 08:22 PM

7,599 posts, read 18,403,189 times
It might be something to do with the Dragons bursting out of them ? This thread is beyond ridiculous :S

Old 01-09-2009, 08:25 PM

181 posts, read 635,336 times
Rep'd you for that one BrianH -))

Old 01-09-2009, 09:46 PM

1,930 posts, read 10,170,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xavierob82 View Post
Okay, fine. Then delete pit bulls by mandatory interbreeding with other dog breeds, like cocker spaniels. Moderator cut: deleted slur
I haven't read all of these posts, this one just happened to catch my eye, and I have to say that IMHO, that is a ridiculous idea! I am extremely proud to say that I am the owner of a very well trained and socialized, very friendly "pit bull". But, I have owned many different breeds in my life. I have owned a Chocolate Lab, a Fox Hound, a Cocker Spaniel, a Rhodesian Ridgeback/Rottweiler mix, a Black Lab, 2 Mini Schnauzers, 2 female American Pit Bull Terriers and the male American Pit Bull Terrier that my husband and I currently own.

I am an animal lover, especially when it comes to dogs. And while after owning "pit bulls", the "pit bull" breeds are by far my favorite breeds, I do love all dogs. With that being said, out of all of the dogs I have owned, the APBTs have been hands down the most friendly, and the most aggressive were my Cocker Spaniel and my Mini Schnauzers. And while my 2 Labs were great dogs, I have met more aggressive Labs than any other breed. I have been attacked by a Lab, my younger brother was attacked by a Lab, my neighbors, when I was growing up, owned a Lab that attacked 5 people (including children, and this Lab was under 1 year old) before he was put down, and most recently, our APBT that we own now was attacked by a Lab/Shepherd mix that use to live across the street from us. Now, please don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that simply because all of my APBTs have been wonderful dogs, all APBTs are the same way, because that's not true. I'm not saying that because my Cocker Spaniel and Mini Schnauzers weren't so friendly with everyone that all Cockers and Mini Schnauzers are the same, because again, that's not true. And I'm not saying that all Labs are aggressive simply because I have met a few aggressive Labs. Every single dog is different, even dogs of the same breed. It all just depends on how each dog has been bred, raised, trained and socialized. You cannot judge an entire breed on a few dogs! Just like you cannot judge an entire race on a few people!

Anyway, the main reason I even responded to your post is because I wanted to ask why you would think that we need to breed the "pit bull" breeds with a breed that tests lower than them in temperament testing? Oh, and by the way, "pit bull" is not a breed, it's a term used to group 3 breeds, the American Pit Bull Terrier (APBT), the American Staffordshire Terrier (AmStaff) and the Staffordshire Bull Terrier (Staffie). Because you just said we needed to breed "pit bulls" with Cocker Spaniels, I'm going to assume you are talking about all 3 of the "pit bull" breeds. If you go to the American Temperament Testing Society's website, you can see what each breed scored. The 4 breeds that you mentioned all got very high scores, but the Cocker Spaniel scored the lowest out of the 4.

-American Pit Bull Terrier - 84.3%
-American Staffordshire Terrier - 83.4%
-Staffordshire Bull Terrier - 88.8%
-Cocker Spaniel - 81.7%

Old 01-09-2009, 11:16 PM

1,930 posts, read 10,170,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bjones1976 View Post
My guess is that as long as there are people who believe in the idea that pits only do this if they are trained to do so, it's going to be harder to get some sort of ban against owning these animals!

There's something physically different about the make-up of these animals, a reason why they are so aggressive...It's a wonder no one has taken the time to figure out what those issues are and why they are there.
Wow! It's back to the same old stuff again! I can't even count how many times I have responded to similar posts on here.

Ok, again, APBTs are not people-haters or people-eaters! Their natural aggressive tendencies are towards other animals, not humans! However, if these dogs are properly trained and socialized they should not even be aggressive with them!

"Pit bulls" are no more inherently dangerous to people than other dog breeds. People often assume that "pit bulls" are human aggressive because they were bred to fight animals. This is simply not true! If that were the case then Irish Wolfhounds, Anatolian Shepard's, Great Pyrenees, etc should be considered dangerous to humans as well. For hundreds of years "pit bulls" were bred to fight dogs, among other things, but they were never bred for human aggression! Human "aggressive" dogs were undesirable as these dogs required extensive handling prior to, and during, their fights AND most of these dogs were also family pets. So, no human aggression was ever tolerated. Dogs that exhibited human aggression were typically culled, meaning that only human friendly lines were perpetuated and desired.

Just like APBTs were never bred for human aggression, they were never bred for guarding behavior either, generally they only will attack if they perceive an immediate threat to their owners or families rather than seeing every person as an intruder upon their territory. They are noted for their outgoing, affectionate, eager-to-please disposition and their fondness for people. They adore attention, often relishing the company of humans, and are notorious for their loyalty to their masters, even giving their lives for them.

Oh, and despite the stereotype, the average, sound-minded APBT is not a threat where children are concerned. APBTs are one of the most stable, people-friendly breeds in existence, and unlike most of the crap you hear in the media, that's a fact! In temperament testing the APBT tests better than many popular family breeds including Golden Retrievers, Cocker Spaniels and Beagles! They are the perfect breed to deal with the rough and tumble play a child can dish out! APBTs are even known as nanny dogs for their love and dependability with children! Here is a picture of my 9 year old sister-in-law with our APBT, Brooklyn. He also spends a lot of time with my best friends 3 year old and 4 year old.

And, a naturally aggressive breed would not be suitable for service work, right? Well, APBTs are currently used and suitable for all types of service work including drug detection, emergency rescue, service and therapy work, military service, and much more. The APBT is additionally one of the most intelligent and easy to train breed of dogs. The trainer of the show dog Lassie has even remarked on how the APBT is his choice of breed for training.

Quote:
There's something physically different about the make-up of these animals, a reason why they are so aggressive
"A reason why they are so aggressive", that, to me, sounds as if you are implying that APBTs just randomly attack, or "turn" on people for no reason. And that is not true at all. APBTs, and related breeds, are physiologically no different from any other breed of dog. All dogs are from the same species and APBTs do not attack for no reason or just "turn" on people, no breed of dog does. Dog aggression is nearly always preceded by some kind of warning, and there is always a reason behind the attack. However, many inexperienced owners do not recognize the dog's behavior as aggression, or refuse to acknowledge it as a warning sign. The only exception I can think of is Springer Rage, a rare and controversial neurological condition that manifests itself as a spontaneous attack, followed by confusion, and then a return to normal behavior. "Pit bulls" are not prone to this condition. There are individual dogs of any breed that may be more aggressive to others.

As far as banning the the "pit bull" breeds, or any breed for that matter, that will not help! It's the people that are causing the problems, people like gang members, dog fighters, irresponsible owners, irresponsible breeders, etc. And it's those people that break laws everyday already! What in the world would make anyone think that those people would care about new laws? Why should my husband and I be punished? Because we are good, responsible, respectful dog owners that own a properly trained, properly socialized, extremely friendly dog that just happen to be an APBT? Look at Miami, they banned "pit bulls" and nothing has changed there! Any dog can be poorly bred, any dog can end up with a horrible owner, any dog can bite and any dog can cause serious harm. These breeds are not born mean, they are made mean and any breed can be made mean! The people that are making these "pit bulls" and other so-called "dangerous" breeds mean now will just move on to another breed and do the same thing all over again! I have said this before, but banning breeds will just cause a false sense of security, it's like putting a band-aid on the problem! We need to do things that will actually help, such as...

-Put a stop to leash law violations...Higher penalties for owners who violate the leash law will dissuade more people from slacking on their duties to contain their dog
-Strengthen and enforce penalties for dangerous owners (and their dangerous dogs)
-Crack down on dog fighting
-Strengthen animal abuse laws
-Prevent criminals from owning dogs...The following people should not be allowed to own dogs: drug dealers, human or animal abusers, and anyone convicted of a violent offense (assault, rape, robbery, etc.)
-Regulate breeders
-Fund public spay/neuter initiatives...These programs are important, especially low-cost ones. Unneutered dogs, particularly males, are far more likely to attack a human than either neutered males or spayed females.
-Educate about dog behavior (Stay Dog Bite Free! | The Humane Society of the United States)
-Encourage responsible dog ownership
-Provide low-cost obedience training classes and behavior help hotlines for dog owners

Until we get to the root of the problem, nothing will change. It might get better for a little bit, but after a while the attacks will start up again and the only thing that will be different is the breeds that are considered "dangerous".

Not to mention, these bans start out with just the 3 "pit bull" breeds and other so-called "dangerous" breeds like GSDs, Chows, Dobermans, Rottweilers and Huskies, but it doesn't just end with just those breeds. There are different "dangerous" breed lists all over the place, but here is one just for an example...

1. American Pit Bull Terrier (Note: Laws dealing with “pit bulls” also state any mix of the 3 breeds AND the MOST important line, anything that has the characteristics or appearance of these breeds. There are 20+ breeds that are commonly mistakenly identified as “pit bull” dogs. ) (Denver, CO)
2. American Staffordshire Terrier (Note: Laws dealing with “pit bulls” also state any mix of the 3 breeds AND the MOST important line, anything that has the characteristics or appearance of these breeds. There are 20+ breeds that are commonly mistakenly identified as “pit bull” dogs. ) (Denver, CO)
3. Staffordshire Bull Terrier (Note: Laws dealing with “pit bulls” also state any mix of the 3 breeds AND the MOST important line, anything that has the characteristics or appearance of these breeds. There are 20+ breeds that are commonly mistakenly identified as “pit bull” dogs. ) (Denver, CO)
4. Rottweiler
5.Doberman Pincher (Fairfield, IA) (Sisston, SD), (Westfield, IL), (Travelers Rest, SC) Shar Pei’s (Smithfield, UT)
6.German Shepard (Fairfield, IA)
7.Belgian Malanois (Fairfield, IA)
8.Siberian Huskies (Fairfield, IA)
9.Alaskan Malamutes (Fairfield, IA)
10.Great Danes (Fairfield, IA)
11.Irish Wolf Hounds (Fairfield, IA)
12.Scottish Deerhounds (Fairfield, IA)
13.Mastiffs (Fairfield, IA)
14.Boerboels (Fairfield, IA)
15.American Bull Dog (Other dogs in excess of 100 lbs - Fairfield, IA), (North Little Rock, AR)
16.Akita (Ulyssas, KS)
17.Chow Chow (Travelers Rest, SC), (New Port, RI)
18.English Mastiffs, (Yale, IA)
19.Tosa Inu (Aurora, CO)
20.Presa Canario (Aurora, CO)
21.Dogo Argentino (Aurora, CO)
22.Cane Corso (Aurora, CO)
23.American Bulldog (Aurora, CO / North Little Rock, AR)
24.Bull Terrier (Grandview, MO - Akron, OH)
25.American Bull Dog, (North Little Rock, AR)
26.Presa Canario (Other dogs in excess of 100 lbs - Fairfield, IA), (Lanett, AL)
27.Wolf Hybrid (Huntington WV)
28.Canary Dog ( Akron, OH)
29.Perro De Presa (Akron, OH)
30.Old Country Bull Dog (Akron, OH)

NOTE: These are breeds that are typically over 100lbs. If your dog is less than 100lbs than they are safe in Fairfield.

31.Bull Mastiff (Other dogs in excess of 100 lbs - Fairfield, IA)
32.Neopolitian Mastiff (Other dogs in excess of 100 lbs - Fairfield, IA)
33.Tibetan Mastiff (Other dogs in excess of 100 lbs - Fairfield, IA)
34.New Foundland (Other dogs in excess of 100 lbs - Fairfield, IA)
35.Anatolian Shepherd (Other dogs in excess of 100 lbs - Fairfield, IA)
36.Greater Swiss Mountain Dog (Other dogs in excess of 100 lbs - Fairfield, IA)
37.Great Pyrenees (Other dogs in excess of 100 lbs - Fairfield, IA)
38.Komondor (Other dogs in excess of 100 lbs - Fairfield, IA)
39.Kuvaz (Other dogs in excess of 100 lbs - Fairfield, IA)
40.St. Bernard (Other dogs in excess of 100 lbs - Fairfield, IA)
41.Tosa Inu (Other dogs in excess of 100 lbs - Fairfield, IA)
42.Dogo Argentino (Other dogs in excess of 100 lbs - Fairfield, IA)
43.Cane Corso (Other dogs in excess of 100 lbs - Fairfield, IA)
44.Fila Brasileiro (Other dogs in excess of 100 lbs - Fairfield, IA)
45.Spanish Mastiff (Other dogs in excess of 100 lbs - Fairfield, IA)
46.Italian Mastiff (Other dogs in excess of 100 lbs - Fairfield, IA)
47.Dogue De Bordeauxs (Other dogs in excess of 100 lbs - Fairfield, IA)
48.Alapaha Blue Blood Bulldog (Other dogs in excess of 100 lbs - Fairfield, IA)
49.Akbash (Other dogs in excess of 100 lbs - Fairfield, IA)
50.Leonberger (Other dogs in excess of 100 lbs - Fairfield, IA)

Old 01-10-2009, 05:27 AM

2,807 posts, read 7,582,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCGranny View Post
If you must ban a breed of dog, how about Jack Russells, pomeranians, Shi-tzus, or chihuahuas?? They irritate the crap outta me, always bouncing and yipping and snapping their jaws, and peeing everywhere they jump. They have no sense of doggy decorum at all, and aren't even cute, just ugly and noisy.
Wow, is peeing and jumping simultaneously a trick you could teach my 3 chi mixes? I would love to see it, sounds pretty crazy! I will have you know, ALL my lovely ladies are well-equipped with doggie decorum because I make it a point to train and socialize them properly. Canning on other breeds just because the breed you have is getting canned on is NOT a productive way to argue a point, it just makes you look uninformed. The aesthetic appearances of the above-mentioned dogs are all quite different, so that ugly remark was just an indication of an ugly attitude. For the record, I LOVE APBTs, every single one I have ever met has been sweet, friendly and had a wonderful temperament. Like any dog, it is the OWNERS who mess things up for certain breeds. Calling certain small breeds yippy and pi**y is the same as calling all APBTs mean & dangerous...just as irresponsible owners train their large breed dogs to attack and be aggressive, other irresponsible owners allow (and even encourage by giggling/kissing when they growl and act up!) their small-breed dogs to rule the roost and develop terrible habits...again, not the fault of the dog or the breed, but the owner. And just like you, I do not appreciate anyone making nasty remarks about the breeds I love and co-habitate with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs