U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2014, 09:32 AM

4,005 posts, read 4,542,296 times

Advertisements

I have two dogs a Chihuha/Dachsund and an Olde English Bulldogge. Now my bulldog has the normal allergies and skin problems many bulldogs do soo I have to be very careful what I feed him. For years my parents would give him table scraps because he loved them. Heck my dad would even go out to lunch and buy a meal for my dog and a meal for him.

My dog has always had bad allergies, licked paws, etc. Well recently my parents moved down south and I'm alone with the dogs. I don't feed any table food, have gone to a limited ingredient grain free dog food. My mom recently took the dog to the vet.

Vet said go back home, he's never been so healthy. He's down to 85 pounds where as at one point he was at 105 pounds. His skin is as clear as its ever been and not licking paws and legs nearly as much. Now granted junk food is probably much worse for him than most dogs. Most dogs its probbly not the end of the world if you give them a piece of table food now and again but with bulldogs or I ugess any dog with allergies it can be pretty bad and I believe stays in their system for 4-6 weeks. It was crazy my parents got into town, my dad gave my dog a slice of pizza or two and literally within a couple hours was licking his leg like crazy, so no more people food for my dogs.

Just wanted to share that story as I used to be like oh how bad can it be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2014, 10:27 AM

3,339 posts, read 7,538,676 times
It depends on which "people food" you give them. Food is food. Some foods we eat are very good for dogs. Pizza isn't one of those foods. We fed what you call "people food" for over 12 years here, but it was selected and prepared just for the dogs. They thrived on it. In fact, one of our dogs' chronic colitis went away and never returned after we took him off dry dog food and began feeding a raw diet -- and a homecooked diet later in his life when he couldn't chew very well.

Around here, one of the most important reasons we never feed the dogs from the table is that we don't want to encourage them to beg.

Old 05-10-2014, 10:28 AM

3,563 posts, read 5,701,871 times
Well yes, if your dog has allergies human food can wreck havoc...absolutely!

Otherwise it depends on WHAT the people in the household eat. Ofcourse junk food that isn't good for people isn't going to be healthful for a dog, but if a person eats healthy non processed foods a bit here and there shouldn't cause problems.
Weight gain seems to be the biggest problem with dogs who get leftovers because the owners don't cut the dogs food back at all so those additional calories add up fast.

Old 05-10-2014, 10:51 AM

43,012 posts, read 91,966,895 times
Healthy people foods are healthy for dogs. They can't be allergic to everything. My peekapoo never ate one bite of dog food in her life and she lived a healthy 22 years.

The Basset has a sensitive stomach. He does much better on canned dog food and non-processed people food. He can't eat processed dry dog food. He gets sick instantly if he does.

People food isn't bad for dogs. Some people just eat really bad food. I'd never feed a dog leftovers because they're filled with spices. Fresh vegies and fruits are wonderful for dogs. Meats are too. Not lunch meat. That's not even healthy for people.

Old 05-10-2014, 10:52 AM

4,787 posts, read 9,243,018 times
Your success, I suspect, is less with the no more people food and more with the grain free dog food.

The wheat in the basic pizza base is what makes the dog itch the same way grains in dog food wreck havoc with canine skin.

Old 05-10-2014, 11:14 AM

4,005 posts, read 4,542,296 times
Obviously people and dogs can eat some of the same foods. For a while I was doing the BARF diet or a raw diet feeding fruits, veggies, eggs, raw meat. Obvoiusly dog food is a man made creation. My point is giving your dog your lasagna and other crap you cook is not good. If you wanna give your dogs blueberries as a snack obviously thats people food as well or even meats but I wouldn't give my dog any processed food or really anything cooked with sauces. As far as "people food" I woudl give dogs moving forward would be maybe rice and ground beef if upset stomach but otherwise just raw fruits and veggies and meats. Definatley not anything processed or fast foods or even pastas or things like that. Obviously your dog isn't going to keel over dead if you do this and I know people who exclusively give their dogs table food and they seem fine but if you have a bulldog or even any dog with allergies I'd stay away totally.

Old 05-10-2014, 11:26 AM

4,762 posts, read 10,981,483 times
I'll let you answer to my dogs the next time I have [people food] steak and do not give them a taste!

Old 05-10-2014, 04:48 PM

11,818 posts, read 15,424,961 times
Dogs have been human companions and working alongside humans for what, around 20,000 years? Dogs adapted to surviving off the scraps of humans. Animal bones, left over meal or mush, eggs- whatever was there. They adapted over time (without the help of formulated dog foods). I think formulated dog foods came into being around... 125 years ago at most?

Now with that being said- we don't eat like our ancestors did, nor those from 2-3 generations ago. Frankly we eat a bunch of crud. But I have no problems feeding my dogs leftover venison, peas, potatoes, fish, etc.. I always have. They do eat a balanced 'dog food diet', but please consider this- history is just not on your side if you kid yourself to think that dogs cannot be healthy and survive alongside people without the help of (insert brand name here) dog food.

If anything a lot of breeds (modern ones) are generally prone to problems anyway simply because the standards of 'breeding' have diminished quite a bit. Some of the oldest breeds are the heartiest, and I think we're witnessing a newer crop of breeds that are more prone to the couch and the vets office than in the field.

Old 05-10-2014, 06:21 PM

4,704 posts, read 10,119,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
Dogs have been human companions and working alongside humans for what, around 20,000 years? Dogs adapted to surviving off the scraps of humans. Animal bones, left over meal or mush, eggs- whatever was there. They adapted over time (without the help of formulated dog foods). I think formulated dog foods came into being around... 125 years ago at most?

Now with that being said- we don't eat like our ancestors did, nor those from 2-3 generations ago. Frankly we eat a bunch of crud. But I have no problems feeding my dogs leftover venison, peas, potatoes, fish, etc.. I always have. They do eat a balanced 'dog food diet', but please consider this- history is just not on your side if you kid yourself to think that dogs cannot be healthy and survive alongside people without the help of (insert brand name here) dog food.

If anything a lot of breeds (modern ones) are generally prone to problems anyway simply because the standards of 'breeding' have diminished quite a bit. Some of the oldest breeds are the heartiest, and I think we're witnessing a newer crop of breeds that are more prone to the couch and the vets office than in the field.

I agree with the above if you re eating a healthy diet there is no reason most dogs could not enjoy the scraps from that diet. If it is unhealthy for a dog it is probably just as unhealthy for a human we eat way too many processed foods which contain way too much sugar. Most chronic illness is due to inflammation and that is caused by the diets too many of us eat many people could stop taking drugs for illness if they would just eat the right foods.

Old 05-10-2014, 06:39 PM

14,555 posts, read 8,375,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Healthy people foods are healthy for dogs. They can't be allergic to everything. My peekapoo never ate one bite of dog food in her life and she lived a healthy 22 years.

The Basset has a sensitive stomach. He does much better on canned dog food and non-processed people food. He can't eat processed dry dog food. He gets sick instantly if he does.

People food isn't bad for dogs. Some people just eat really bad food. I'd never feed a dog leftovers because they're filled with spices. Fresh vegies and fruits are wonderful for dogs. Meats are too. Not lunch meat. That's not even healthy for people.
+1. Dog food isn't some magic potion for dogs. As a matter of fact, prepackaged dog food is food that is considered NOT acceptable/safe for human consumption. I think some people tend to jump to the dog food allergy conclusion prematurely. I fed my dogs a homemade diet for several months. They did great on it, and the only reason I quit feeding it was because it became very expensive and inconvenient to feed two Great Danes a homemade diet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs