U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-10-2014, 02:23 PM

480 posts, read 1,122,708 times

Advertisements

Setting the stage: Great English Cocker Spaniel, now seven years old. When I first got him, I was living in a suburb of Washington DC in a townhouse that had no grass in the backyard -- only gravel and pavers. So, the first few years of his young life, he would poop & pee on these pavers. That was all that was available.

Fast forward and I'm now living in a big house in South Texas. The part of the back yard nearest the house and concrete patio is surrounded by a chain link fence and has a good sized area of grass. Added to the herd is a cockapoo (wife's hound) and a Chihuahua (hey, it's Texas!).

The cockapoo and Chihuahua do their business in the grass. Every time. No problems whatsoever. The spaniel? Nope, still uses the patio. Absolutely refuses to use the nice, cool grass.

I have been putting him on a leash and literally dragging him off the patio onto the grass. He'll stand there and look at me but won't pee a drop. I've tried walking him a round, taking him off the lease, encouraging him with kibble, you name it.

I once made the mistake of just bringing him back into the house after he refused to do his business in the grass. Well, we have ceramic tile throughout the house. He took two steps inside the back door and voided his bladder on the spot. I guess he thought it was as good as the concrete patio.

I'm at my wits end with this. The patio is now so stained that I'll end up using acids to get the stains off. More importantly, I simply cannot use the patio for entertainment because the patio smells like urine.

What am I doing wrong? Better question, what can I do right? Is it true you can't teach an old dog a new trick, e.g., pee on the grass?

And, no, I'm not getting rid of my best buddy. I would break up and re-pour the patio first.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2014, 02:41 PM

857 posts, read 2,120,740 times
Not sure if it makes you feel any better but my now old girl 14+ had lived in our other home all her 8years when we moved here.She would go to a room in the house that wasn't used much and poop.I realized she was just confused and just cleaned the tiles with some bleach. No yelling,since by the time I saw it, it was too late and she wouldn't have known why the upset.(Can't yell at her anyway,she is too adorable)

It took her about a year before she stopped doing it.

Good Luck.

Old 05-10-2014, 02:42 PM

10,668 posts, read 8,322,894 times
How long has it been?

I just got a former street dog that hung around an outdoor type biker bar - just dirt and gravel. She wouldn't go on the grass either. Good part is that she has never gone in the house. She wanted her dirt and gravel. Grass was foreign to her. She had no other choice and finally caught on. I've had her for 3 months now.

Maybe you could get some small concrete pavers/bricks and put out in a discrete area of the yard and slowly remove them.

You could also spray your patio with an pet urine deodorizer, so she can't smell it and want to use that spot.

Old 05-11-2014, 06:28 AM

9,362 posts, read 16,959,616 times
Build her her own concrete patio out where you want her to go.

Old 05-11-2014, 12:00 PM

13,638 posts, read 37,002,763 times
Dog Not use to Grass & also sounds like he Scared of grass. Your being Cruel for Dragging him into the grass!

Katie was raised in a 5th floor apt litter-box trained. Almost 7 yrs later she still goes outside to play & people watch BUT when she has to potty comes in goes straight to her litter-box.

Old 05-11-2014, 09:09 PM

480 posts, read 1,122,708 times
Thanks for the replies.

Old 06-27-2014, 12:45 PM

1 posts, read 80,357 times
Default How to stop grown dog from pooping/peeing on the patio

I have the exact opposite problem. My 6 year old Chihuahua (I rescued at 3) will only go on grass. We have moved to an apt that has a cement patio and she won't go out there. I have a doggie door and she uses it all the time to go out and lay in the sun but not to go potty. I have to take her out front so she can go on the lawn. HELP. Thx smfgrace

Old 06-27-2014, 01:10 PM

1,697 posts, read 4,141,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smfgrace View Post
I have the exact opposite problem. My 6 year old Chihuahua (I rescued at 3) will only go on grass. We have moved to an apt that has a cement patio and she won't go out there. I have a doggie door and she uses it all the time to go out and lay in the sun but not to go potty. I have to take her out front so she can go on the lawn. HELP. Thx smfgrace
Do you already have something like this? --

The #1 Selling Grass Litter Box for Dogs - Potty Training Made Easy

Porch Potty is Amazing - First Automated Dog Litter Box - YouTube

Old 10-03-2014, 08:53 PM

1 posts, read 78,287 times
Do not use bleach, it can remain after dry and it.is harmful.

Use vinegar, it cleans and kills the enzymes in urine and feces, so no more smell and they can't smell it, either.

Mine uses the patio when it is wet. She won't go in grass at all, and I put mulch down but she refuses when it's wet.
Making her own patio is a good idea, mine won't use it if it's wet, and she goes anywhere she wants, since she can't smell the last place she used... due to the vinegar. (Plain, not apple cider) and I use my patio frequently.

Make her her own little 'patio box' but keep it clean, wash down your patio with vinegar and the smell will be gone.

Old 10-03-2014, 09:28 PM

2,966 posts, read 4,902,700 times
Go to Lowes and buy those small faux wrought iron fence panels that are only 2 feet high. Fence off the patio with the small panels, ad a gate panel and walk him through it onto the grass when he/she goes out. Shut the gate behind you and come back later after he hangs out long enough on the grass.

The panels are cheap, look nice and take minutes to install; just line them up and push the end pieces into the dirt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs