U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2007, 09:30 AM

33 posts, read 201,377 times

Advertisements

My husband and I got a puppy about a month and a half ago. She’s right now about 3 months old (she was 6 ˝ weeks when we got her). Overall, she’s doing great – she’s a very happy pup, as she has lots of attention and play time, and we work really hard with her. She’s doing fairly well with housebreaking, though she still has the occasional accident, but I can’t complain. She is still young. She’s learned some tricks already – sit, shake, high-five, lay down, and fetch (she brings the ball to you, though she’s still working on “drop it”). The puppy biting has gotten much better, too. She plays pretty well with the neighbor dogs, and is good with new people. Overall, she’s doing well, and we can tell she’s going to be a great dog eventually.

So here’s my dilemma. I work from home (I own my own graphic design biz). We thought this would be great with having a new puppy, and in some senses it is. I think that’s why she’s done so well with housebreaking, and tricks – because I spend a LOT of time with her. However, there are a couple of downfalls…

Through the advice of many, MANY people including two dog trainers, we decided to try crate training. We were both used to the old methods of paper training. I’m still not sold on crate training. In fact, if I ever got another puppy, I would go with paper training for a number of reasons. One, she still has accidents anyway. The crate training just seemed to contain her at night – and my husband and I were getting up twice at night to take her out, then once. So as far as that goes, my husband and I were getting little sleep, and the puppy still had accidents during the day anyway and still does occasionally. Not sure what the crate helped there, other than helping us get less sleep.

During the day, I will put her in the crate once in a while (to run to the bank, etc.), but she’s definitely not left in there long term. (Neither of us like the idea of putting a puppy in a crate all day.) Sometimes she does just fine. Other times, she basically has a panic attack. I think it is separation anxiety, which I believe is a downfall from me working at home. While it is good for some things, it seems to hurt in other ways, because she’s sooooo used to me being here all the time.

The other problem I have is trying to balance my work schedule. Many people have dogs and leave them at home all day while they go to work. My neighbor, for example, has a puppy, too. His came from a rescue shelter, so she was used to being caged and so she did pretty well alone right away. He also paper trained, so when he goes to work, he puts her in the laundry room with paper, some toys, etc., and she’s content. She is now about 5 months old, and rarely does have an accident anymore, though she knows to go on the paper if she can’t wait. Since we didn’t go with this method (it’s too late to try that one now), I can’t just block off an area and leave here there for a few hours at a time. And I do NOT want to put her in a crate all day.

She’s great when she’s napping – I can get lots done then. However, when she’s up, she is a puppy so she wants to play. If I am trying to work on a project, she’ll try to eat cables or wires so I’m constantly on her. If I’m on the phone with a client, that’s when she wants to go out (for the 18th time that hour) and if I can’t take her immediately, she has an accident. Needless to say, it’s very hard to get any work done throughout the day. With the exception of a nap here or there, she’s up a lot of the day, so I’m lucky if I can get a half a days work in anymore, which is not good for my clients or our bills.
Has anyone else had a puppy while working from home? If so, do you have any advice? I’ll take any! haha
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2007, 09:43 AM

4,948 posts, read 16,515,369 times
I got my puppy at age 5 months, and worked full time. I tried to come home at lunch
time, and let her out. she was in her crate. Then, she went to doggy day care.
I also had one other dog, who did not wish to have a bossy puppy. When she got older
I used puppy piddle pads, which she would use. It made life way eaiser. I would put
up the paper gate, give them water, and use the pads. Now that I am here, and she is
older, she knows when we walk to do what she needs to do. I now have taken up the pads. However, if I need to be out for over 4 hours I still use the pads. That way if she needs to go she knows it is fine.

Old 12-12-2007, 09:44 AM

7,548 posts, read 16,381,882 times
If you dont feed her for a few hours before she goes to bed you wont have to get up in the middle of the night to let her out twice. With feeding keep her strict. Feed her the reccomended amount and give her 10 mins to eat it, that cuts out grazing and pooing all day ling. I last feed my 11 month old at 4PM and he has a treat or two before 6PM. He goes out at 10PM for poo time and then hes crated all nite, no accidents. We had accidents when we let him graze. But hte older they get the better too. If the crate is too large they wil poo in it too, cause they can go one end and sleep the other. The crate needs to be big enough for them to basically stretch and lie down, partition it if its too big.

Spray the cable wire with a Lime spray (can get it at Petsmart or Walmart) so they taste bitter. Give her good chew toys cause at 5 months shes trynna get new teeth.

Old 12-12-2007, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH View Post
If you dont feed her for a few hours before she goes to bed you wont have to get up in the middle of the night to let her out twice. With feeding keep her strict. Feed her the reccomended amount and give her 10 mins to eat it, that cuts out grazing and pooing all day ling. I last feed my 11 month old at 4PM and he has a treat or two before 6PM. He goes out at 10PM for poo time and then hes crated all nite, no accidents. We had accidents when we let him graze. But hte older they get the better too. If the crate is too large they wil poo in it too, cause they can go one end and sleep the other. The crate needs to be big enough for them to basically stretch and lie down, partition it if its too big.

Spray the cable wire with a Lime spray (can get it at Petsmart or Walmart) so they taste bitter. Give her good chew toys cause at 5 months shes trynna get new teeth.
Actually, the nights are great. As of last week, she's sleeping through the night with no trouble. We are on her second crate (she's a lab, so she's growing!) and she's never had an accident IN the crate. It's more of the day time that's hard, because she needs so much attention and doesn't sleep a whole lot.

We'll definitely try the Lime spray - that sounds like a great idea! I never heard of that. Thanks for the tip!

Old 12-12-2007, 12:56 PM

8,204 posts, read 32,207,822 times
If it works in your set-up, can you buy one of those play gate areas - like a big circle of fencing you put in the center of the room (a playpen)?

That way, so can't leave the circle, but she can play with her toys and there's more space than a crate for her to move around.

Also, how about hiring a neighborhood kid to play with her for 2 hours in your backyard each day?

Old 12-12-2007, 02:16 PM

1,808 posts, read 5,866,908 times
When you need to be on the phone with a client and you want your pup to be quiet and not ask to go out (of course, take her out before your call! ), why not give her a toy that she will need to work at?

When I worked from home and needed to be on the phone with my boss, I gave my (adult) dog a Kong filled with a bit of his kibble and "sealed" with a nice layer of peanut butter. Giving him the Kong with those yummy goodies inside of it made him totally forget that I was in the house with him (and prevented him from barking while I was on the phone with the boss). I remember a particularly long conversation that lasted about 2 hours... my dog was still licking the peanut butter out of that Kong!

Pardon my rambling... hope this helps with your puppy.

BTW, can you post a picture?

Old 12-12-2007, 04:07 PM

Thanks for all the feedback, everyone - any tips help, and I do appreciate it! I'm definitely trying the peanut butter trick!

Here's a picture of Gia, the little monster herself - haha
Attached Thumbnails
Working from home and a puppy-gia.jpg  

Old 12-12-2007, 04:28 PM

1,311 posts, read 6,003,690 times
Regarding crates and accidents, remember puppies can only hold it by the age+2. ( It might even be +1, I have to check) So, three months +2, she can only hold it about 5 hours max. Usually, three month olds can only go for about 4 hours or so. Their little bodies can't do anything else. Limit the food and water intake and times given it. I have never used puppy pads so I never knew they had benefits, though I understand now. dogs are den dwellers and feel safe in crates especially the plastic ones, not the wire ones as much. I know dogs who sleep there all the times because they love their crates. So, I encourage crates for any dog.

The playpen is a good idea, but put the play pen away from you eye. Like any child, she'll learn quickly what to do to get your attention. Be firm and stay consistant. You have still a very young little pup. Give certain toys for certain times. That way she looks forward to it.

you are lucky to be able to be home in this time of growth. Hope that helps a little.

Old 12-12-2007, 04:54 PM

1,554 posts, read 4,138,738 times
I don't mean to brag. My puppy is 16 months old now and is potty trained to go outside and hold her potty through the night. I feed her around dinner time and don't leave water out at night time and she does not over ever sleeped in a crate. Sometime she sleeps with us or on the sleeping bag. I think everyone is right about stuffing a Kong or getting a Buster Cube. These will keep her busy.Hey pig ears are great too. I would try to take her out and about for a 5 minute before you get on the phone because if you hear her whined it might mean she wants attention not potty since you already tried this before you phone call. When she goes potty do you say potty so she knows that she has to releve herself? Also you mention you go on errands can you take your pup?...My pup loves car rides...She is excellent car rider and remember it is ok to leave your pup home but give her a chance to go potty before you go. I do this with my puppy before we get in the car and sometime I forget and she has never since I got her at 6 weeks old never had a accident in the car. I am a stay at home mom so she is with us all the time. I have left her home when it is to hot outside and just for practice. She is a very good pup. Don't get me wrong she a had quite of few accidents when she was littler but about a month ago she has been holding it through the night. I too would take her out twice a night when she was little. Well good luck and hope you can figure out what to do. Cute little Angel you go there....

Old 12-13-2007, 07:03 AM

1,808 posts, read 5,866,908 times
Gia is so cute! Thanks for posting her picture.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or