Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2014, 12:03 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,049,575 times

Advertisements

The Basset was at Petco getting fitted for a harness. An older woman had a big Rottweiler puppy who was probably 6 to 9 months old. The puppy was super excited and not under control. As she passed the isle we were in, the dog came down the isle towards my dog. She had it on a long leash and didn't reign it in. The employee and I were focused on fitting the harness. I looked up at the woman and told her, "No." She pulled the dog away and said, "Leave it." I guess that's an indication she has it in training.

All was well until 10 minutes later she showed up at the other end of the isle. Same thing. The dog came bounding down the isle towards my dog. This is a big puppy that is leaping and jumping and totally not in control. My old Basset doesn't need a puppy jumping on his arthritic back that's at risk of injury simply due to the freak of nature design of a basset hound. I waited and she wasn't pulling the dog back. I finally looked up at her and said sternly, "This is NOT cool." She looked shocked and the dog continued to leap at my dog without her attempting to restraint it whatsoever. I said, "I do NOT want your dog near my dog." She said, "I'm doing the best I can." She disappeared.

Now I'm feeling guilty. Puppies need to be socialized. I hope my reprimanding her doesn't make her afraid to take her dog in public. But she really NEEDS to get better control of her dog before she starts trying to socialize it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2014, 12:05 PM

3,751 posts, read 7,673,454 times
Don't feel guilty. She should have had that dog at her hip the whole time in that environment.
I would have said the exact same thing- "Not Cool!"

Old 06-01-2014, 12:18 PM

19,758 posts, read 22,666,896 times
Why feel guilty? An owner has to have control over their animal, even pups. My male GSP Schnitzel can be a tremendous handful. He's a year and a half and weighs 85lbs- all muscle. That's big for a GSP. My wife and daughter can't handle him when he gets ramped up, especially during field training events. I have to handle him because there are smaller pups around and he would get to rough with them, even just playing.

You are totally in the right for saying "not cool". It isn't.

Old 06-01-2014, 12:33 PM

2,848 posts, read 7,580,539 times
I think instead of saying "not cool", I would have been more direct/ specific with the woman and said "Sorry, my dog has a weak back and can't play - do you mind keeping your puppy away?" and added a "he's really cute, good luck with him". "Not cool" even with eye contact with her isn't really clear, and for all she knew, you were referring to the harness or in conversation with the employee. But I wouldn't feel guilty about it. The owner needs to have control over the animal and you were right to direct her away.

Old 06-01-2014, 12:39 PM

6,497 posts, read 11,815,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Now I'm feeling guilty. Puppies need to be socialized. I hope my reprimanding her doesn't make her afraid to take her dog in public. But she really NEEDS to get better control of her dog before she starts trying to socialize it.
No, don't feel guilty. With any luck, she took away the above with her.

Old 06-01-2014, 12:51 PM

19,840 posts, read 12,102,488 times
IMO, as owners our top priority is to protect our pups and keep them safe. You did the right thing.
Esp. while your Basset was getting fitted. He was in a very vulnerable position then. That woman was probably so overwhelmed with her Rottie that she didn't even think about you and your dog.

Old 06-01-2014, 12:55 PM

8,553 posts, read 10,978,234 times
This behavior is something I have seen many times in my efforts at educating stupid pet owners about leash laws.
Doesn't mean anything if you dog is leashed, and you still can't control it.
Over the years I come across countless numbers of dog owners who insist on letting their dogs run off leash in public places, and I have heard all kinds of excuses as to why a dog owners doesn't have their dog leashed.
Yesterday was perhaps one of the stupidest reasons I have heard yet.
In the park Bobby and I go to every day, and this jerk is walking on the path with his unleashed boxer about fifteen feet in front of him.
I stopped. told Bobby to sit, and asked the jerk to restrain his dog.
His response, "it's ok, he's 13 years old, and wouldn't hurt a flea".
My response, "I don't care if he is one hundred and thirteen, the law is you keep your dog leashed when in a public area.
My Shepherd looks extremely intimidating, especially when he comes upon another dog, or animal.
He always goes into that stalking mode where he crouches down, head forward with a positive gaze, while moving forward ever so slowly.
He appears that he would attack, but he is trained to stop this action on command.
I told this dude, it may well be his dog is old, and would not provoke an altercation, but one never knows what is just around the corner.
Perhaps another dog off leash might attack his thirteen year old.
The leash is to protect all.
He gave me the finger(like many do), and continued on his way.
Back to the incident at Petco, had I been in that store, I would have gotten management involved, and have the woman and dog leave the store promptly.
One thing most, if not all property owners (and it doesn't matter if it's a store, house, apartment building etc,) fail to recognize is,if someone gets bit, or attacked in, or on their property, the owner of that property faces a law suit just as would the owner of the pet.
It is up to the property owner to maintain their property in a safe manner at all times, and this incident at Petco, had it escalated to an out and out attack, could have meant a law suit against Petco.
Bob.

Old 06-01-2014, 12:57 PM

2,966 posts, read 5,217,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
I finally looked up at her and said sternly, "This is NOT cool." She looked shocked and the dog continued to leap at my dog without her attempting to restraint it whatsoever. I said, "I do NOT want your dog near my dog." She said, "I'm doing the best I can." She disappeared.
Sorry, but "doing the best I can" does not cut it when you own powerful working or protection breeds. If the best she can do is let the dog run all over as a puppy, she should not be owning a large powerful breed and taking it in public.

What is the "best she can do" to control it once it matures and reaches 80 lbs or more?

Old 06-01-2014, 01:09 PM

19,758 posts, read 22,666,896 times
I've had other dogs run towards me and my animals and I don't mince words or posture. I LOUDLY shout "UUUUHHHH-UHHHHHHHHH!!!!!" and point at the dog. Generally it will stop or turn a dog dead in it's tracks.

Based on that- the owner will usually retrieve their animal and know that I mean business. I need not say anymore to them. I learned that trick from a guy who breeds, trains and handles all sorts of versatile breeds- Griffs, Weimers, GSP's, pointers.. He's a slight guy, short and stocky. He booms that out and generally whatever is happening stops right there. He then will shout "Owner retrieve your DOG!".

That's not something an owner likes to hear, but it get's them and their animal squared away quick!

Old 06-01-2014, 01:57 PM

3,751 posts, read 7,673,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mc33433 View Post
I think instead of saying "not cool", I would have been more direct/ specific with the woman and said "Sorry, my dog has a weak back and can't play - do you mind keeping your puppy away?" and added a "he's really cute, good luck with him". "Not cool" even with eye contact with her isn't really clear, and for all she knew, you were referring to the harness or in conversation with the employee. But I wouldn't feel guilty about it. The owner needs to have control over the animal and you were right to direct her away.
I don't know. But it seems to me that when giving an explanation, it gives the offender time to find excuses or the words go in one ear and out the other. But on the flip side, saying "Not Cool" and leaving it at that, this forces the person to think about what they did and that thinking is hopefully a lesson learned.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs