Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2014, 01:04 PM

2,222 posts, read 3,599,312 times

Advertisements

My dog Princess has learned to recognize my dad's ringtone on my phone, and goes to the door looking for him now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2014, 12:09 AM

1,110 posts, read 2,469,825 times
Mine trained me to feed her and pick up her pooh.

Old 06-10-2014, 12:13 AM

35,095 posts, read 51,212,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zugor View Post
Every dog I've ever owned has been smart enough to get me to pay for all their room and board as well as medical and travel (to the park) expenses in exchange for what? Barking too much, looking cute, allowing me to give them tummy rubs, hogging the bed, etc. ?

Yeah, I got the better end of the deal.

Ours is smart enough to do all that you mentioned above AND.........get a pig ear from the neighbor every single day and he doesn't even have to go over there every day, the neighbor delivers...

Old 06-11-2014, 08:48 AM

2,008 posts, read 4,722,538 times
I had to take my fiance to the hospital and it was in a rush so we didn't do anything really for the dog because we weren't sure how long were going to be or anything. We ended up being gone for almost 20 hours, and all I could think of was poor Louis, he probably has to go to the bathroom so bad! because he never ever goes in the apartment. We had just gotten a puppy a week prior so we figured it was going to be a real Sh** show, literally.

When we got home, there was some poop and pee on the pad for the puppy, and in a couple other places (not a big deal like we expected) and then I rushed as fast as I could to take Louis out so he could finally go to the bathroom. On his walk, he barely had to go at all so I was very confused. Until I came back in and found out that he had gone into the bathroom and peed on top of the drain in the bathtub and pooped in there too.

This just goes to his memory, but my fiance and I moved to NYC after having Louis for about 3 months in Michigan. We came home to visit one time after not being home for 6 months, and I walked out of my fiance's parents house and said we're going to grandma and grandpa's! and he ran all the way down the street to my parents house and waited by the front door.

The puppy we just recently got last year is the smartest dog though. She knows she can chew up whatever shoes and anything else she wants and she is still going to get loved all the same! She knows she doesn't have to be as good as Louis and still get the same treats and toys and dog park time and everything!

Old 06-11-2014, 01:23 PM

19,116 posts, read 25,309,475 times
Even though my dog does display some oppositional behavior, he has impressed me with one of his very positive learned behaviors. When he sees me pick up my car keys, he goes directly into his crate, with no urging.

This is certainly much easier--for both of us--than having to force him into the crate when I want to leave the house.

Old 06-11-2014, 01:25 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,051,718 times
The smartest things Lucy does

1) she has never run away even when the kids accidently left the door open

2) she poops in the walk in shower if she can't hold it. Very easy to clean up. Don't know how she learned that.

3) convinced us she needed a playmate when she turned 10 and was getting tired of sleeping all day. That is when Toby came into the picture.

The smartest thing Toby does

1) He looks very cute which makes the kids want to cuddle with him all the time

2) well 1) is about it so far.

Old 06-11-2014, 01:26 PM

16,715 posts, read 19,400,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
That's cool!

My Basset can open kitchen cabinets and drawers. He can screw off the tops of any plastic bottle.
I had four Bassets and they are too short to be countersurfers but they know their way around the lower four feet of a kitchen! LOL

Old 06-11-2014, 01:32 PM

16,715 posts, read 19,400,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
There sense of hearing is very acute, perhaps there is a sound associated with those bags. My dog used to be able to pick up someone(or something) walking in the woods about 100 yards out.
Hahaha this is too funny. My dogs can be downstairs in the backyard and we'll go to the door and call them to come in if it's raining or something (they love the rain), and they act like they can't hear us.

But if we put something in the microwave? They come pounding up the stairs and through the door, just hearing the door close. Then they sit in front of the microwave waiting on the ping, and start barking at us to say it's ready!

Old 06-11-2014, 07:33 PM

20,125 posts, read 16,144,906 times
Mine knows what w-a-l-k, d-o-g p-a-r-k, and t-r-e-a-t spell.

Old 06-11-2014, 07:53 PM

7,413 posts, read 6,225,470 times
Our cocker once told us the poodle had to go outside. It was about 3 in the morning, and the cocker kept jumping on and off the bed to wake us up. Husband finally gets up and follows excited cocker to living room where poodle is tap dancing in circles by the front door, panting. He let him outside and he had the runs really bad. We thought it was cool that she knew to alert us, the poodle isn't as interactive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs