Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2016, 08:00 PM

483 posts, read 415,092 times

Advertisements

In the car Roman!!!
https://youtu.be/Ykd4ma4xYpU

Ring da bell!!!
https://youtu.be/hutL75aBoKw
https://youtu.be/YhD6CUxxWfk

Roman sat, wait for very slow mom (bad sight bad legs) gets kiss.
Ultimate Pyr patience and gentleness.
https://youtu.be/C9YVjO92gz4

His trainings is all about lifestyle habits he willingly do himself. Free willed love.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2016, 12:48 PM

8,459 posts, read 10,875,717 times
It is not limited to one smart thing, but a few.
My shepherd use to hate having a bath.
As soon as he heard the water running in the tub, he was out the door, and hiding under the rear deck.
This happened every time.

One day I guess he must have felt it's gonna happen so may as well do it and get it over.
I ran the water as usual, he went out in the back yard as usual, but laid by the sliding door instead of hiding under the deck.
As soon as I approach the sliding door, he got up, walked into the bathroom, and by the time I got their, he was already in the tub.
Calm as a kitten all through the bath, and he has been doing this now for a couple of years.

When it is time to clean his ears(I do this weekly), all I have to say is, "Bobby it's time to clean your ears":, and he runs into the bedroom, jumps up on the bed, and is laying on his side by the time I get their, to have the ear cleaned.
Once that ear is cleaned, without a word from me, he rolls over on the other side so I can clean his other ear.

For a while(and this was a battle) he had a rash that was nearly impossible to get rid of until a new vet gave me something that really cleared it up.
Every day I would have to clean each rash spot, then apply a antibacterial spray to clear the rashes.
Again, it was, "time to do your legs", and he would hop up on the bed, and lay on his back with all fours in the air by the time I got to the bedroom.

Teeth cleaning the same, one word, and up on the bed without being told, and lays there enjoying every minute of it.

Most dogs hate having their teeth cleaned, but Bobby really likes it.
So I would say I can't limit it to just one smart thing he does, there are many.

Unfortunately he tore an acl about a month ago, so no more jumping on the bed.
Now he knows enough to lie on the carpet when its time for ear, and teeth cleaning.
Happily the rash is gone, and has been for quite a while now.

Bob.

Old 11-29-2016, 03:06 PM

19,050 posts, read 25,167,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CALGUY View Post
When it is time to clean his ears(I do this weekly), all I have to say is, "Bobby it's time to clean your ears":, and he runs into the bedroom, jumps up on the bed, and is laying on his side by the time I get their, to have the ear cleaned.
Once that ear is cleaned, without a word from me, he rolls over on the other side so I can clean his other ear.

For a while(and this was a battle) he had a rash that was nearly impossible to get rid of until a new vet gave me something that really cleared it up.
Every day I would have to clean each rash spot, then apply a antibacterial spray to clear the rashes.
Again, it was, "time to do your legs", and he would hop up on the bed, and lay on his back with all fours in the air by the time I got to the bedroom.

Teeth cleaning the same, one word, and up on the bed without being told, and lays there enjoying every minute of it.

Most dogs hate having their teeth cleaned, but Bobby really likes it.
So I would say I can't limit it to just one smart thing he does, there are many.
Well, I have to say that your dog has beaten my Labrador Retriever in regard to his "smartness".
The only things that I can think of to boast about are:

>When I announce, Moses, it's time to brush your teeth, he rushes over to me and places his chin on my thigh, where it stays for the remainder of the procedure. I think that he just likes the taste of his toothpaste, but he clearly doesn't try to avoid tooth brushing.

>In the morning, when I tell him, Moses, it's time to help me read the newspaper, he climbs up on my lap and looks at the newspaper with me. (So far, he hasn't commented on any of the articles. )

>What impresses me--and my visitors--the most is his behavior when I am about to leave the house without him. If he sees me put on my hat or coat, or if he sees me pick up my keys, he immediately goes to his room and lays down on his bed. He knows that he is supposed to go to bed when I am out of the house, but I never taught him to do this automatically, as a result of visual cues. Somehow, he figured this out on his own.

Old 11-29-2016, 03:52 PM

8,459 posts, read 10,875,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
Well, I have to say that your dog has beaten my Labrador Retriever in regard to his "smartness".
The only things that I can think of to boast about are:

>When I announce, Moses, it's time to brush your teeth, he rushes over to me and places his chin on my thigh, where it stays for the remainder of the procedure. I think that he just likes the taste of his toothpaste, but he clearly doesn't try to avoid tooth brushing.

>In the morning, when I tell him, Moses, it's time to help me read the newspaper, he climbs up on my lap and looks at the newspaper with me. (So far, he hasn't commented on any of the articles. )

>What impresses me--and my visitors--the most is his behavior when I am about to leave the house without him. If he sees me put on my hat or coat, or if he sees me pick up my keys, he immediately goes to his room and lays down on his bed. He knows that he is supposed to go to bed when I am out of the house, but I never taught him to do this automatically, as a result of visual cues. Somehow, he figured this out on his own.
It's amazing how some dogs are absolutely brilliant.

Bob.

Old 11-29-2016, 05:59 PM

41,815 posts, read 50,843,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carcrazy67 View Post
Several years ago I taught my Malamute/Wolf hybrid how to do an army crawl with hand signals. Several years went by where we hadn't practiced it. On a whim, I gave him the signal and he immediately dropped down and did the crawl.
You need a plastic grenade for him to hold in his mouth.

Old 11-29-2016, 06:04 PM

41,815 posts, read 50,843,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Romaneats View Post
In the car Roman!!!
She's getting too old to do it anymore and I'm actually a little afraid if she tried but the dog I have now used to jump through the window to get into the car on command. Actually found that out by accident screwing around calling her, never expected her to jump through the window. It's beagle/springer mix so she's small enough to go through the window pretty easily.

Old 11-30-2016, 07:29 AM

12,016 posts, read 12,657,809 times
One of my Chihuahuas is very friendly. if he sees a little kid he will go over to him and lie on his back so the kid will rub his belly and to indicate that he's not a threat.

My other dog is a Chihuahua too, they are a very smart breed, they have the largest brain per dog size. I think they don't get the credit for being smart because they are stubborn and will only do what they want. My little guy tries to use reverse psychology on me.

They are both smart and learn words on their own. When I call my father every day they know when I say "okay I will call you tomorrow" that it's their cue that we are going out into the yard and they run for the door.

If my little guy doesn't understand something he will tilt his head as if to say "what?".

Old 11-30-2016, 07:58 AM

17,156 posts, read 12,881,116 times
I have a deaf Great Dane. Deaf dogs are very different than hearing dogs and need to be trained and treated a little differently than dogs who can hear. Because she is deaf, she is very dependent on her vision as the primary means of understanding her world, and she acts much as a sighthound does. I have trained her using hand signals.

But she is a stubborn girl and doesn't always want to do things my way. When she doesn't, she has found a convenient means of avoiding my commands: she won't look at me when I give her the hand signal. In her mind, by avoiding my gestures, she can't "hear" me, thus isn't obligated to obey

Old 12-04-2016, 04:58 AM

4,712 posts, read 3,149,025 times
We had a female Cocker that would go outside when it was time for momma to get home from work, usually just a handful of minutes beforehand. EVERY DAY. And then when she heard the vehicle on the road (in the country), she'd come in and go round up the others, so every day momma had a welcoming party on the porch.

This one also dog-door trained all the little ones after her, and not only because they followed her out on their own. If they DIDN'T come on their own she'd stick her head back through the door so they'd notice and then come in and out until they went with her. Very entertaining to watch.

Old 12-04-2016, 07:49 AM

4,977 posts, read 5,731,895 times
If I put on my walking tennis shoes, my dog knows it's walking time and he waits by the front door.

If I put on my work tennis shoes, he goes into "his" room and sits down, knowing the door will be closed soon (he is closed into one room when I leave).

When I want to mess with him, I will put on my work tennis shoes and then take him for a walk!

It also messes with him when I buy new tennis shoes.

He can tell time. When my kids still lived at home, he knew what time they were supposed to come home from school, and would go to the back door and wait about 5 minutes before the garage door went up. He gets dinner at 5 pm, and about 4:45 he will walk into the kitchen and start licking his bowl in anticipation (and I suppose as a reminder to me that it's almost time for dinner...).

He does this eye thing of looking rapidly between his bowl and his food container too. When the kids still lived here, but all of us would not always be home or in the house during doggie dinner time, we had to leave notes that YES, we had fed the dog, because he would try to trick us into thinking he had not been fed. He got quite a few double dinners before we figured that out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs