Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2014, 10:30 PM

36,499 posts, read 53,822,747 times

Advertisements

or any pet really? I simply don't understand. At least if taken to a shelter and a home can't be found the animal will humanely be put down. This precious little dog will make somebody a wonderful pet. Again I say....it's a wonder any of them trust humans at all.

He Was Starving, Matted And Abused – But His Transformation Will SHOCK You! I’m In Tears! | PetFlow Blog - The most interesting news for pet parents around the world.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2014, 10:53 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,097,721 times
One of my favorite dog rescue organizations. Hopefully this lucky little guy gets a wonderful home. Thanks for sharing it.

Old 06-20-2014, 10:57 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,416,732 times
I have no idea how anyone can just leave a family pet behind. It is beyond cruel to teach them to trust you and then to break that trust.

Old 06-21-2014, 01:37 AM

1,253 posts, read 3,624,151 times
I have to agree with everyone here. How do you leave your pet behind when you move? I mean you move out and leave the animal in the house? Well, that is also what happened to Spanky. He was left behind in Idaho Springs, CO. Eventually, he was rescued and nursed back to health. He was eventually put up for adoption.

His family kept him about a year before their financial circumstances changed and he was listed on Craig's List as a foster.

...here is where I came in...and as they say, the rest is history...
Attached Thumbnails
How can anybody just up and move and leave a dog like this behind-04.27.14-iphone-001.jpg  

Old 06-21-2014, 05:56 AM

He is so precious. Bless you.

Old 06-21-2014, 06:18 AM

30,268 posts, read 16,022,209 times
and how about the people who said the owners left him a year ago? and did nothing?

I can't understand that either.

Old 06-21-2014, 10:22 AM

6,497 posts, read 11,776,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAhippo View Post
and how about the people who said the owners left him a year ago? and did nothing?

I can't understand that either.
Seconded. I don't get how a whole neighborhood can let a poor homeless pet languish like that.

Old 06-21-2014, 11:23 AM

32,509 posts, read 47,521,327 times
I don't understand the concept of not taking the pet to the new home. However, the locals shelters want $35 to turn a cat in, even if it is a stray and not your pet. I don't know what they charge to turn a dog in at the shelter.

If a family is moving because they are broke and don't have any emotional attachment to the animal, maybe they can't stretch the budget to give up $35 (or more) that they need elsewhere.

I'm a bit puzzled by the shelters charging to turn a pet in. All that does is make the irresponsible pet owner dump the pet out in the country where it is no charge to do so. Then it stops the neighbors out in the country from gathering up the abandoned animals and taking them to the shelter. It just doesn't seem like the best thing for the pet. Isn't that what the shelters are supposed to be doing? Sheltering the unwanted pet? Not pushing them away to be abandoned? Charging a fee is not going to turn an irresponsible pet owner into a responsible pet owner.

Old 06-21-2014, 12:15 PM

I agree and most of these abandoned animals have not been "fixed" so they can freely reproduce which compounds the problem. We all should look into the budget our local government have to deal with and how much is allocated to animal control and shelters. If shelters are charging because they lack adequate financial support that is the fault of the budget makers. If they are charging because they think it will cut down on abandonment issues they are sorely lacking in good judgement and the ability to see the consequences of these charges.

Old 06-21-2014, 04:13 PM

429 posts, read 967,300 times
Unfortunetly this I has almost become a common thing where I live.
People leave and leave their dogs or cats behind. Some lock them up in a room or basement inside the house (with or without a bag of food, not that the food matters in the end). Some tie or chain them up out back and some simply walk away and leave the front door open so fido can come and go as he pleases from the house. It's sad wrong and disgusting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs