Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2014, 01:08 PM

1,174 posts, read 2,512,808 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brannen View Post
When a large dog comes and sits or lays across your feet, do you think they're doing it on purpose or just not paying attention?
I always assume that a dog sitting on my foot is doing it on purpose. Especially if he didn't even put his tail down.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2014, 01:10 PM

11,523 posts, read 14,646,108 times
Funny topic--very original. My dog used to do it on purpose I think when she did it. Mostly, she liked her own space though.

Old 06-23-2014, 03:42 PM

4,490 posts, read 4,978,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxywench View Post
my dobe seems to NEED to be touching me all the time, its a love/trust/contact/comfort thing...some breeds are just incredibly snuggly and need to be in close contact with their people!
This is our female german shepherd.
I never knew a huge dog could be a cuddle bug, I always thought I needed a small dog for this.

Old 06-23-2014, 04:41 PM

1,829 posts, read 2,234,864 times
Both of mine climb on me for petting and scratching (55 and 60 lbs - so they completely cover the available lap real estate!). Both will sleep near me, and generally place their heads on my feet or legs and then sleep while I watch TV. I have read the "dominance" theory stuff, but never interpreted this type of touching as anything other than a "love" type action (love is probably a bad word, but is near enough to convey the connection between the dogs and myself).

If my dogs feel threatened on a walk, they both move BEHIND me for me to decide the danger/threat level! (Thanks, guys! I feel so safe now!), so I don't think the touching behaviors are attempts to dominate me, but rather a "love" type social behavior.

Old 06-23-2014, 05:34 PM

351 posts, read 693,161 times
I had a dog that would sit on my face as soon as I laid down near her. She wasn't a dominant dog. She did it on purpose for fun! She would often touch me. She'd paw me until I held her paw. Then she'd just sit next to me looking very content. Otherwise, she'd sit next to me and lean or she'd sit on my foot or stand next to me with one of her side slightly touching my leg. At night, she would lay next to me or between me and my husband and she'd only feel comfortable if a part of her was touching one or both of us through the night. I didn't mind it. I did miss that for a long time after she passed though. Dogs like to be touched. They do that with the other pets especially another dog you may have in the house. They enjoy cats for this reason as well. Cats are great for a warm body for comfort.

Old 06-23-2014, 05:43 PM

2,222 posts, read 3,599,312 times
Of course.

Sometimes it's just plain affection, other times it can be a form of "guarding" behavior.

Old 06-24-2014, 09:35 AM

2,008 posts, read 4,722,538 times
I don't even know what it would be like for my dogs to not be laying up against me when I am sitting on the couch or laying in bed.

Old 06-24-2014, 10:12 AM

16,715 posts, read 19,400,390 times
My dogs automatically cover my feet when I'm curled on the couch or on the bed. At night they lie along my back, head to head with their backs against mine. It's about affection and warmth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs