U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-26-2014, 06:15 PM

449 posts, read 703,630 times

Advertisements

When I came home from work Monday my dog was acting very strange. She yelped whenever I touched her (different places) and even showed her teeth at me. The next day I took her to the vet, who carefully examined her and then did some blood tests on her. The vet said it was possible that if she had a tick it would produce muscular or skeletal pain. She remarked about my dog's super anxious behavior and read notes from the other vet who also saw this in her. My dog (Mollie) has always suffered from anxiety. She has separation anxiety (which has improved) as well as getting nervous when she hears any ordinary noises (school buses, etc.). I've tried Thunder Shirt and a few products from Whole Foods and nothing has seemed to work. The vet insisted that Mollie is a dog that must be put on medication.

The vet wanted to put Mollie on Prozac, 30 mg. After the blood work she changed her mind and said she'd put her on 20 along with giving her 425 mg of Denosyl since her ALT was slightly elevated. She said let's reevaluate in a month. Ok so I gave Mollie the first dose of Prozac on Tuesday night. That night she still yelped when I tried to touch her and she showed her teeth at me more. She slept next to my bed and never moved all night. The next morning she was lethargic and looked at me like she was in a daze. I asked the vet tech to come over and look in on her while I was at work and when she contacted me she said Mollie was a bit quiet but wagged her tail at her and jumped up on the sofa, all normal behaviors. She put Mollie back in her crate (where she is while I'm at work) and when I got home Mollie was fine.

I don't know why Mollie was the way she was Monday and Tuesday - the vet hadn't offered any explanation other than anxiety. She said we could do an x-ray but the day she saw her she said let's see how the Prozac and Denosyl do. So here we are two days later with Mollie acting normal and not seeming to be in pain. I did not give her a second dose of the Prozac and even though the vet wants me to do it I don't want to. I fear using a drug on her. I don't want to put any stress on her organs or body. I also think maybe there was no need to get the Denosyl either. I've been reading online and saw something to indicate that chances are there's nothing warranting putting the dog on a liver med so early after seeing a slight result.

I'm sure there are people out there who have had their dogs on Prozac. On the other hand there are others like me too that don't like the idea or fear it. Yes, Mollie is a dog with problems. I am her fourth place of residence. I've had her since 2008 and she's always had issues of anxiety. I'd like to find an alternate way to treat her. Till now I've just put up with the anxiety. She is crated while I'm at work but in my new apt. she's doing fine in the crate, not stressed when I leave. As a matter of fact she even goes in her crate when I'm home (I leave the door open) on her own. Her anxiety of late is jumping around and going crazy when I get home, barking when she hears a noise or when someone knocks at the door of a neighbor. So, she has improved on her own somewhat. If I could afford it I'd take her to doggie daycare but I can't right now. She went in the past once a week and enjoyed it immensely.

What caused the flinching, yelping the other day? Anyone ever experience this?
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2014, 01:26 AM

429 posts, read 782,938 times
Please make sure ur really sure u want to give her Prozac before you do. Read all about it and the possible side effects.

I gave my dog Prozac. It was a nightmare. She had an extreme paradoxical reaction. She was on an extremely low does and it's started on the 2nd or 3rd day on Prozac. I ended up stopping the Prozac on day 6 or 7. It was not a good experience at all. I know that some people have good luck with it but we didn't.

Please just make sure u read up on it. Also if your gut is telling u not to, listen to ur gut.

Good luck

Old 06-27-2014, 04:17 AM

449 posts, read 703,630 times
Thank you for your input. That is exactly how I feel, that my gut is saying not to do this. After one day I didn't want to go forward doing it so I am not going to give her any more. I'm glad your dog made it through. It sounds like she did.

Old 06-27-2014, 08:14 AM

3,918 posts, read 2,556,333 times
I had my cat on valium for a short while and he was fine. I've also used Acepromazine (sp?) on my dogs for short periods when they had to be crated to recover from surgery and that was fine too. You might try Rescue Remedy (it's all natural) for anxiety. The flinching and yelping sounds more physical to me than anything caused by anxiety.

Old 06-28-2014, 01:37 AM

429 posts, read 782,938 times
Please don't us ACE. There has been a ton of research done about it and why it is rally not good. Basically it doesn't easy or lessen the fear(like Xanax or Valium do) all it does is make the animal physically unable to react to whatever it is they are scarred of but mentally and emotionally the issues are still there and prob worse because not they can't react or escape their fear

Old 07-07-2014, 02:13 PM

1 posts, read 1,509 times
I'm not sure if my story helps butttt...

My dog Elliot was abandoned at a pet store that didn't sell pets I ended up taking him in and noticed weird behavior issues like obsessive drinking (likely not fed) and full of worms. He never liked storms and was a bit wary of men but loved kids and other dogs. Fast forward five years... and I have a dog with major anxiety issues. I think part of it has gotten worse because I work from home now so when I leave its more traumatic.. He used to be fine if I had a ten hour day just happy to see me and go for a walk. Now if i leave my house for two hours my home/crate is covered in vomit at night. There have been a few things along the way. He ate plastic two years ago and now screams bloody murder every time he poops. He has been to three vets, tried different foods, medications, examined... nothing is physically wrong with him. We tried behavior modification with it to no avail. He will also scream or yelp is any sudden movements are made around him. Things we tried before medication: Positive reinforcement obedience classes, 20 different food combinations, daily hour walks, pheromone collars, thundershirts, crating, not crating... I'm sure I'm missing something... But we tried everything possible before medication. He is now on 10mg of Prozac, 50lbs dog, lab mix (I've noticed that labs are often on these anxiety forums...) he seems slightly more relaxed but we won't know if it will have an effect for two more weeks. It takes about three weeks for the medication to work in.

Now for your dog it seems odd to put her on such a high dose to start off with. Usually you work up in medication not down unless you are trying to ween off. I would recommenced getting a second opinion from another vet on medication. I've been to awesome vets and extremely bad vets. Just like people doctors.

Doggy daycare I wouldn't recommend for an anxious dog. Many of the dogs that go to daycare come with zero social skills even the good centers. Anxious dogs while rare can react negatively but I'd hate for her to get in trouble or bite someone/dog. I never thought my dog would do that (and hasn't) but if I was stressed to the point of vomiting everywhere and someone scared me I think my own actions would be unpredictable.

Like with Elliot and the plastic incident Mollie might have gotten surprised or tripped and now is always anticipating pain. For Elliot nothing was working so we turned to medication to hopefully lessen anxiety and then hope to continue behavior modification.

Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs