U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-27-2014, 11:07 PM

2 posts, read 1,393 times

Advertisements

There are two large dogs in the house behind us. One walks on the wall between our houses and barks viciously. The other cannot get on the wall but jumps and hangs over the wall barking. The dogs bark day and night for hours at a time. We and the neighbors around us have called Animal Control many, many times and though the officers come out it seems there is nothing they can do. One particularly nice officer tried to look over our wall to get a glimpse of the dogs and the jumper was immediately in her face, barking and snapping. She pulled her Taser and got away before he could hurt her. The dog bit a friend of ours when she raised her hand next to the wall and he was quarantined at home for 10 days. On the 10th day the dogs were back out, barking and snapping again. I am 70 years old, have MS and walk with a cane. I am afraid to go into my garden because of the dogs. My husband is 76 and works 8 hours a day.He is kept awake most nights by the barking. Though the Animal Control Officers say these are vicious dogs and they have had many complaints about the barking,they can do nothing. Any ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2014, 10:50 PM

9,199 posts, read 11,684,446 times
What restrictions did the judge put on the dogs confinement?

Old 06-29-2014, 08:20 AM

621 posts, read 1,038,576 times
Can you have a taller privacy fence installed on your side of the wall? That way they can't see you, and you will have a better feeling of safety.

How sad to have such uncaring neighbors.

Old 06-29-2014, 09:33 AM

5,981 posts, read 16,286,116 times
Can you ask about a noise ordinance, or start a petition to get one? Do you have a son or daughter, or a neighbor who might make your case for you with the barking dog owners? Perhaps they simply don't realize how upsetting this is to you?

It's sad when people won't be responsible for their pets. Dogs bark - that's just a fact, but the snarling and carrying on into the night is shameful and frightening.

I'd approach the city attorney and ask if there is any ordinance at all that covers you in a case such as this. Best of luck.

Old 06-29-2014, 01:14 PM

2,172 posts, read 2,514,281 times
Here in Phoenix, we have a no-noise ordinance around the clock. Meaning, whether it is 9am or 9pm, if the noise is bothering others in their homes or on their property, it is considered to be in violation of someones rights to a peaceful enjoyment of their surroundings. Thus, this would warrant calling the police. Granted, its up to the individual officer to uphold that particular ordinance. The chances are very high, that the officer would issue a cease and desist to the violator, or in this case, the owners of the dog after 9pm. If the problem persists after this "warning", fines will be issued. Look up the noise ordinance in your area.

Old 07-11-2014, 11:45 PM

2 posts, read 1,393 times
Thank you all for your answers. I spoke to my councilman and the city manager and called animal control again. She has been fined and we are scheduled for mediation next week. If there is no resolution I can take her to court. If there is a resolution I will be happy. I understand dogs bark and a reasonable amount is okay with me but not hours at a time. Also I don't want the dog on the wall or the other jumping and snarling. I have recently discovered she does not let them in the house because they tear things up, but she does not come outside with them either. It seems they are pretty much neglected. Pretty sad.

Old 07-12-2014, 04:28 AM

34,242 posts, read 41,261,292 times
Sounds like sooner or later these dogs are going to get loose and tear some one up.I'm surprised these dogs arent required to be chained up as they present a clear danger.
The constant barking would have me probably getting so mad i'd at some point shoot the dogs if no other recourse was available.
I think if the whole neighborhood made a combined effort city hall would have to do something to curtail the noise and the danger these dogs pose.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or