Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2014, 04:58 PM

8,144 posts, read 8,338,067 times

Advertisements

My female American Bulldog is 13 years old and has severe arthritis. We have her on glucosamine and tramadol. We carry her alot. Lift her into bed, lift her down from bed. We take her out for very short, slow walks every day and she seems to really look forward to her walk, tho she tires easily. She has alot of trouble walking, she limps alot. Our vet believes she has cancer but since we wouldn't do chemo, there's no sense in getting a diagnosis. We planned to keep her with us as long as she isn't suffering.

Last Fall we went on vacation and she went to a great doggie sitter in her home for a week. She got very sick and almost died, she did not eat. She gets very upset when she is crated so we don't board her at the vet or kennels.

So my husband will be running in a marathon in Dublin, Ireland this Fall. He has been training for this fior a long time. We plan to spend 3 weeks in Europe. I am pretty concerned about what to do with her. Does it seem heartless, if she is still alive at that time, to have her put to sleep?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2014, 06:03 PM

3,605 posts, read 9,055,148 times
Comments from contributors on this forum can condemn you or give you permission but it is really is a decision only you can make since you need to live with it.

Old 06-28-2014, 06:38 PM

30,488 posts, read 16,198,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogmama50 View Post
Comments from contributors on this forum can condemn you or give you permission but it is really is a decision only you can make since you need to live with it.
exactly.

Old 06-29-2014, 05:10 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,051,718 times
Since you know how miserable she was last time you went away, I can't imagine that you will enjoy this trip knowing how she will not be doing well. Do you have somebody she loves who can be in the home with her as a pet sitter and not somebody who comes by once or twice a day?

Can you tell she is in pain except for the limping? If she is really in pain now you might not even be faced with any decision by the time you take your trip.

My other comment is that most people lament that they waited too long to PTS. Never heard of anybody saying they lamented doing it too soon.

Old 06-29-2014, 09:38 AM

5,981 posts, read 18,264,452 times
I'm not trying to blast you, OP - I'm really not...only you can decide what is right for you. But since you asked - that would be the absolute most miserable vacation of my life if I planned putting my dog down around being gone.

I'd look for someone who could start right now dropping by the house and letting your dog become familiar with them. If the dog doesn't make it until then, at least you were planning ahead. I would think the price you would pay for a live-in would be small compared to the peace of mind that comes with knowing you are doing everything possible. Perhaps there's a college student in your area who would be thrilled to stay in your home for a few weeks?

It's a difficult decision, it really is - but I personally plan my vacations around my dogs and not the other way around. Maybe that's why I'm considered a little odd

Old 06-29-2014, 09:45 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,051,718 times
Just one more comment. Practically every regular poster and reader of the forum has been in a similar situation. Maybe not a vacation but the quandary of when to PTS. We can relate to all the fears and concerns you have. Each circumstance is different and each person has to weigh the pros and cons and the best time. Good luck.

Old 06-29-2014, 09:55 AM

857 posts, read 2,216,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam I Am View Post
I'm not trying to blast you, OP - I'm really not...only you can decide what is right for you. But since you asked - that would be the absolute most miserable vacation of my life if I planned putting my dog down around being gone.

I'd look for someone who could start right now dropping by the house and letting your dog become familiar with them. If the dog doesn't make it until then, at least you were planning ahead. I would think the price you would pay for a live-in would be small compared to the peace of mind that comes with knowing you are doing everything possible. Perhaps there's a college student in your area who would be thrilled to stay in your home for a few weeks?

It's a difficult decision, it really is - but I personally plan my vacations around my dogs and not the other way around. Maybe that's why I'm considered a little odd

Then I must be a little odd too!

Old 06-29-2014, 12:12 PM

429 posts, read 971,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abbara View Post
Then I must be a little odd too!
Me too!

Old 06-29-2014, 12:27 PM

429 posts, read 971,247 times
The fact that u are Asking if it is horrible to do or not, days to me that you are having some hesitation and guilt about makin this decision. And that you will prob have guilt and feel bad for the rest of your life if you do it. I could be mistaken tho.

Really it's a decision that only u can make. However if it were me, I would skip the vacation and not put my dog down. There will be plenty of other vacations but not more time with your dog if you put her down.
Of course if the time comes before then to put her down then that is another story.

Old 06-29-2014, 12:30 PM

19,743 posts, read 22,635,943 times
We had a similar situation with our elder Bluetick coonhound. She was old, very arthritic and lame (from a viscous attack many years back by a Boxer). The older and more lame she got the less she could tolerate staying at a kennel.

She was quite hobbled (and in pain) and she started to develop some kidney issues. We took her to the vet and it was a 60/40 chance of survival for her on treatment, but in all honesty she was at the end of her life.

I am an owner that will not let my dog live in suffering to benefit me or my family, I have to do what I feel is right for my animal. With that, I chose to put her to sleep with me present and with her. One of the hardest things an owner has to do. I will add that I am also a farmboy and have been tasked with animal husbandry a long time. Most of our 'ilk' tend to side like that. It's not selfishness that drives our decision, it is pure compassion and respect.

You need to do whats best for the animal and yourselves, especially if you feel it is suffering.

Last edited by Threerun; 06-29-2014 at 12:40 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs