U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2014, 12:21 AM

429 posts, read 782,839 times

Advertisements

There is no good excuse for not getting a puppy vaccinated. They havent had it long enough for their fincial situation to change.

on a side note. I understand that people need to plan or be prepared for emergancies that may happen down the road with thier pets but its not always possible to and often no fault of the owners. Our lives change over the years. we could lose our job anbd suddenly the dog gets sick(talking about a dog not puppy and not parvo) and we cant afford the bill.
alot of peoples credit is not good and cant get care credit. I know of no vets that will work out payment plans for treatment or services. Vet bills can get rediclouly high very quickly depending on what was wrong.
I had a cat that got sick. it took 2 months of different tests, different meds, food changes, an ultra sound and eventually exploritory surgery and several samples taken and biopsies being done to finallty figure out what was wrong with her. I still dnt know how i came up with al the money. i was very lucky i was able to. i easily spent over 4500 in 2 months time.
if this were to happen currently i know there is no way i would be able to come up with that much money. i would be screwed and not know what to do. I dont have credit cards i wouldnt be able to get care credit and my savings is long gone. I would try to figure it out but i dont think it would be possible.
Does this make me a bad pet owner? i dont think so but others may think it des and that is fine
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2014, 12:20 PM

6,066 posts, read 8,324,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beans213 View Post
There is no good excuse for not getting a puppy vaccinated. They havent had it long enough for their fincial situation to change.

on a side note. I understand that people need to plan or be prepared for emergancies that may happen down the road with thier pets but its not always possible to and often no fault of the owners. Our lives change over the years. we could lose our job anbd suddenly the dog gets sick(talking about a dog not puppy and not parvo) and we cant afford the bill.
alot of peoples credit is not good and cant get care credit. I know of no vets that will work out payment plans for treatment or services. Vet bills can get rediclouly high very quickly depending on what was wrong.
I had a cat that got sick. it took 2 months of different tests, different meds, food changes, an ultra sound and eventually exploritory surgery and several samples taken and biopsies being done to finallty figure out what was wrong with her. I still dnt know how i came up with al the money. i was very lucky i was able to. i easily spent over 4500 in 2 months time.
if this were to happen currently i know there is no way i would be able to come up with that much money. i would be screwed and not know what to do. I dont have credit cards i wouldnt be able to get care credit and my savings is long gone. I would try to figure it out but i dont think it would be possible.
Does this make me a bad pet owner? i dont think so but others may think it des and that is fine
I don't think it makes you a bad pet owner. I have 2 dogs and I worry all the time what if they get really sick and need thousands of dollars of vet care. I don't have that much money laying around and I'm sure a lot of people are in the same boat. I would have to set up a payment plan with my vet. I think there's a difference between not having 5K on hand for an emergency and not being able to afford basic expenses like routine vaccinations. It makes me wonder how many people have pets they never take to the vet or do preventative care for.

Old 07-06-2014, 12:12 AM

1,343 posts, read 4,667,353 times
I had to put some major vet bills on my credit card about the same time I had to get a new HVAC for my house. I'm still paying them off and have just lost my job.

The dogs come first. I took the responsibility to take care of them and I will.

Old 07-06-2014, 06:39 AM

43,012 posts, read 92,000,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinaMcG View Post
Not everyone is on board with getting insurance for their dogs, but we did, and it has been a godsend. We had no idea our 2-year old athletic retriever mix would suffer a rear leg injury that would ultimately cost $1000 in diagnostics, X-rays and physical therapy, but that's what happened, and insurance paid for all of it. Insurance also paid for her treatment over a year ago when she countersurfed a chocolate cake. That was over $500. So stuff happens. BE PREPARED.
I'm glad to hear pet insurance is reputable. I didn't by it when we got our lab 20 years ago because I was skeptical. If I ever get another puppy, I'll buy insurance.

Old 07-06-2014, 10:44 AM

3,339 posts, read 7,543,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
I'm glad to hear pet insurance is reputable. I didn't by it when we got our lab 20 years ago because I was skeptical. If I ever get another puppy, I'll buy insurance.
Dealing with VPI has been very straightforward and we get our reimbursements about three weeks after I scan and email them the paperwork. Okay, so people complain that they need to pay upfront and then get reimbursed, but if vets had to deal with filing insurance claims, there would be a tangled web of paper and escalating costs like we see in human insurance. Vets will never go down that rabbit hole.

Old 07-06-2014, 10:47 AM

2,967 posts, read 4,164,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjo View Post
If you can't afford ~$200 worth of vaccines for your puppy, you shouldn't have a puppy.
Parvo vaccines can be purchased for less than 10 bucks at any TSC store, and other places like discount pet catalogs.

Old 07-06-2014, 12:25 PM
ZSP

1,568 posts, read 4,156,783 times
There is no such thing as a free dog or puppy...not ever.

Old 07-06-2014, 04:02 PM

3,339 posts, read 7,543,818 times
I cringe when our local shelters and rescues hold discount adoption days. They have a lot of them because the Kansas City area takes in so many animals from puppymill seizures and hoarders in MO and KS -- and states all around the Midwest. We have excellent shelters here, but when they advertise dogs for $25, all I can think of is people taking the opportunity to get a pet because the adoption fee is so low. Even if vaccinations and S/N is taken care of by the shelter, it is still pretty costly to have a dog. It's costly if the dog is healthy and it can be prohibitive when the dog gets sick or injured.

I just think more people should go into this commitment with their eyes wide open. Kids aren't cheap to raise and neither are dogs.

Old 07-07-2014, 07:45 PM

1,343 posts, read 4,667,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZSP View Post
There is no such thing as a free dog or puppy...not ever.
Amen.

Basic cost for my two small dogs averages at about $100 a month: trifexis, annual check-up and kibble.

Not included is prescription kibble, surgery, emergency vet visits, extra meds for one dog. Visit to out-of-town specialized vet for second dog.

Now we're talking thousands.

Don't adopt if you can't afford!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or