U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 07-09-2014, 12:43 PM
 
Location: Paradise
2,456 posts, read 1,983,400 times
Reputation: 4023

Advertisements

So long as you pick up the stuff you can, I don't see a problem.

Sounds like your neighbor is a cat person! lol

 
Old 07-09-2014, 03:36 PM
 
Location: South Park, San Diego
4,919 posts, read 7,530,738 times
Reputation: 9197
Quote:
Originally Posted by drunkwithwords View Post
I don't understand how it's rude when I have no control over my dog's bodily functions, especially when we go on long walks. Am I supposed to just keep on tugging him when nature calls? That's reversing all the work I put into potty training him.
This is such a cop out. I certainly can control where my dog relieves himself and would go out of my way to prevent him from doing so on a neighbors lawn. He can pee on telephone poles, fire hydrants or large trees on parkways or hearty landscaping (between street and sidewalk) and he poops either on the sidewalk or the curb area whenever he acts like he is going to go- I steer him exactly where I want him to- maybe in a landscape area in the parkway- preferably on public land and I absolutely avoid any of my neighbor's property.

Meanwhile all these idiots with 30' long leashes have their dogs go tramping all their neighbors lawns, shrubs, flower patches to go relieve themselves whenever and wherever they want and give you the stupidest look if you ask them to please not, instead of saying "you know what, you are absolutely correct I should not allow my dog to trespass and I apologize" it's "well, gee, what else could I do?, I can't possibly heal my dog properly, train him/her and not trespass, after all it's just a dog and he's so cute and would be unhappy if I didn't let him do whatever he wanted, especially to rip up your lawn to spread his scent- yes I see those horrible yellow dead patches from dog urine and remaining patches of dog diarrhea on your otherwise beautiful lawn, shrubs and flowers that you obviously spend a great deal of effort to maintain but my dog really prefers to relieve himself on your lawn and so I am obligated to allow him to do so every day, and for you even to question why I allow my dog to do this make you a horribly rude person and a complete control freak!"

Fortunately we've calmly talked to a few of our neighbors with dogs, (that are welcome to come over all the time when their owners come over for a visit) and they all know to use the watering can to dilute the pee a little bit and to spread around some loose stools that happen when they can't pick everything up. If they just do that, and acknowledge that it is not their property and therefore are obligated to keep it as the owner wishes when their dog does their business I am just fine.

Last edited by T. Damon; 07-09-2014 at 03:50 PM..
 
Old 07-09-2014, 04:19 PM
 
537 posts, read 987,686 times
Reputation: 1264
Quote:
Originally Posted by T. Damon View Post
This is such a cop out. I certainly can control where my dog relieves himself and would go out of my way to prevent him from doing so on a neighbors lawn. He can pee on telephone poles, fire hydrants or large trees on parkways or hearty landscaping (between street and sidewalk) and he poops either on the sidewalk or the curb area whenever he acts like he is going to go- I steer him exactly where I want him to- maybe in a landscape area in the parkway- preferably on public land and I absolutely avoid any of my neighbor's property.

Meanwhile all these idiots with 30' long leashes have their dogs go tramping all their neighbors lawns, shrubs, flower patches to go relieve themselves whenever and wherever they want and give you the stupidest look if you ask them to please not, instead of saying "you know what, you are absolutely correct I should not allow my dog to trespass and I apologize" it's "well, gee, what else could I do?, I can't possibly heal my dog properly, train him/her and not trespass, after all it's just a dog and he's so cute and would be unhappy if I didn't let him do whatever he wanted, especially to rip up your lawn to spread his scent- yes I see those horrible yellow dead patches from dog urine and remaining patches of dog diarrhea on your otherwise beautiful lawn, shrubs and flowers that you obviously spend a great deal of effort to maintain but my dog really prefers to relieve himself on your lawn and so I am obligated to allow him to do so every day, and for you even to question why I allow my dog to do this make you a horribly rude person and a complete control freak!"

Fortunately we've calmly talked to a few of our neighbors with dogs, (that are welcome to come over all the time when their owners come over for a visit) and they all know to use the watering can to dilute the pee a little bit and to spread around some loose stools that happen when they can't pick everything up. If they just do that, and acknowledge that it is not their property and therefore are obligated to keep it as the owner wishes when their dog does their business I am just fine.
I'd say I've done a pretty good job with training my dog. He walks right next to me and knows not to trample on gardens and flowers. I honestly didn't realize this was such a huge deal for people, mainly because I've seen dogs poop and pee on lawns my whole life. I never thought, "Wow, what a jerk dog and dog owner!" I always just prayed that they would clean up after themselves, because I would end up cleaning it if not.

I'm glad to understand other perspectives. I'm finding that humans tend to be just as interesting as dogs.

I never realized people would get so butthurt over poo. Just be glad I'm not the one defecating on your lawn. I'd leave a toilet paper trail. And no, I wouldn't pick it up.
 
Old 07-09-2014, 04:25 PM
 
35,121 posts, read 39,895,889 times
Reputation: 62014
Quote:
Originally Posted by drunkwithwords View Post
I'd say I've done a pretty good job with training my dog. He walks right next to me and knows not to trample on gardens and flowers. I honestly didn't realize this was such a huge deal for people, mainly because I've seen dogs poop and pee on lawns my whole life. I never thought, "Wow, what a jerk dog and dog owner!" I always just prayed that they would clean up after themselves, because I would end up cleaning it if not.

I'm glad to understand other perspectives. I'm finding that humans tend to be just as interesting as dogs.

I never realized people would get so butthurt over poo. Just be glad I'm not the one defecating on your lawn. I'd leave a toilet paper trail. And no, I wouldn't pick it up.

I would say it could be the attitude you have shown in the highlighted statement that could be making the issue with the dog worse.

By the way, if your dog really walked "right next to you" he would not be "eliminating" anything ON someone else's lawn, unless of course you are the one trampling on gardens and flowers.
Hence the reason the dog doesn't do it.
 
Old 07-09-2014, 04:31 PM
 
Location: South Park, San Diego
4,919 posts, read 7,530,738 times
Reputation: 9197
Quote:
Originally Posted by drunkwithwords View Post
I'd say I've done a pretty good job with training my dog. He walks right next to me and knows not to trample on gardens and flowers. I honestly didn't realize this was such a huge deal for people, mainly because I've seen dogs poop and pee on lawns my whole life. I never thought, "Wow, what a jerk dog and dog owner!" I always just prayed that they would clean up after themselves, because I would end up cleaning it if not.

I'm glad to understand other perspectives. I'm finding that humans tend to be just as interesting as dogs.

I never realized people would get so butthurt over poo. Just be glad I'm not the one defecating on your lawn. I'd leave a toilet paper trail. And no, I wouldn't pick it up.
It's not a huge deal for me as most folks are perfectly responsible and reasonable, it's only a huge deal for unreasonable and irresponsible people when they are called upon their behavior.

And I'm certain you would poop on my lawn leave it and leave a toilet paper trail because that's the kind of person you are.
 
Old 07-09-2014, 04:38 PM
 
537 posts, read 987,686 times
Reputation: 1264
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
I would say it could be the attitude you have shown in the highlighted statement that could be making the issue with the dog worse.

By the way, if your dog really walked "right next to you" he would not be "eliminating" anything ON someone else's lawn, unless of course you are the one trampling on gardens and flowers.
Hence the reason the dog doesn't do it.
It's... a joke? Butthurt? Poo? I'm sorry, my humor is awful. Also, this is City-Data. You're allowed to be grumpy about every post you read and talk about how everyone is wrong, and I'm allowed to be lighthearted and joke about it.

He does, in fact, walk next to me. When he goes, he's always at the edge of the lawn/pavement, but a little bit more toward the lawn. I don't keep him bound next to me in fear of going on someone's lawn. But wait, that's why I'm here. Did you need photographic proof? A video?

At any rate, I am very glad to read about different perspectives on this, and I will make sure to walk further away from lawns and be as respectful as I can. See? Even idiots can learn.
 
Old 07-09-2014, 04:40 PM
 
Location: Lost in Montana *recalculating*...
11,815 posts, read 15,400,165 times
Reputation: 12062
Just get another dog that likes to eat poop. Problem solved.

My dogs 'air' themselves out on other peoples property all the time. Of course usually it's on a ranch with several sections, and quite possibly loaded with cow pies, but I don't think they seem to mind too much, lol.
 
Old 07-09-2014, 04:50 PM
 
Location: South Park, San Diego
4,919 posts, read 7,530,738 times
Reputation: 9197
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
Just get another dog that likes to eat poop. Problem solved.

My dogs 'air' themselves out on other peoples property all the time. Of course usually it's on a ranch with several sections, and quite possibly loaded with cow pies, but I don't think they seem to mind too much, lol.
I grew up on a farm and ranch and completely understand the difference between what's expected of rural dogs on such and being respectful of your urban neighbor's small, well tended and frankly sometimes fragile gardens. My designed front garden, like many others in my historic neighborhood is only about 10' deep by not quite 30', with several different beds and only small patches of turf so it doesn't take much to mess it and others like it up. I like the nice front gardens.

I miss riding horses in the fields with the family dogs at your sides, everybody enjoying the freedom of the expansive land around them and of course nobody is worrying about a little poop.

Last edited by T. Damon; 07-09-2014 at 05:01 PM..
 
Old 07-09-2014, 04:53 PM
 
6,580 posts, read 6,781,169 times
Reputation: 9971
Quote:
Originally Posted by drunkwithwords View Post

snipped

I never realized people would get so butthurt over poo. Just be glad I'm not the one defecating on your lawn. I'd leave a toilet paper trail. And no, I wouldn't pick it up.
Honestly, I read the thread title and doublechecked to make sure it wasn't in the Real Estate forum!

But - and I am a cat person - I have no problem with dog owners who pick up after their dogs. It's the ones who leave the mess for others that bother me.
 
Old 07-09-2014, 05:07 PM
 
549 posts, read 852,752 times
Reputation: 962
Well I think you did the right thing. You picked up after your dog the way a responsible person would. Please continue to take walks with your dog and ignore the idiots who are that uptight. Life can't always be wrapped up in a neat little bow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. | Please obey Forum Rules | Terms of Use and Privacy Policy

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top