U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2014, 01:17 PM

4,652 posts, read 8,569,310 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunetunelover View Post
Vacant lots usually are someone's private property. And public areas are owned by the city/town/state/whatever. So, to be consistent, you shouldn't let your dog go there either.
No, the city/town/state/ whatever has the public areas available for me and my dog to use all we want. There are no restrictions on walking dogs and letting them relieve themselves in public areas if I clean it up.

A vacant lot that isn't being maintained and there is nothing there to bother I'll take my chances with but still clean up after my dog. You're picking nits here.

Old 07-10-2014, 01:21 PM

2,456 posts, read 1,991,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBTRS View Post
You're picking nits here.
Perhaps. That's your opinon and that's fine. However you did say:

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBTRS View Post
It isn't YOUR property, you have no right to let your dog use it.
Personally, I don't see a big issue for my dog to pee on someone's lawn. The poo, obviously, I pick up. But pee on the edge of their lawn? That doesn't mean I'm letting my dog run rampant through their gardens or in obviously meticulously cared for areas.

Meh, to each his own. Vive a la difference!

Old 07-10-2014, 01:25 PM

4,652 posts, read 8,569,310 times
Quote:
Perhaps. That's your opinon and that's fine. However you did say:

Personally, I don't see a big issue for my dog to pee on someone's lawn. The poo, obviously, I pick up. But pee on the edge of their lawn? That doesn't mean I'm letting my dog run rampant through their gardens or in obviously meticulously cared for areas.

Meh, to each his own. Vive a la difference!
I'm talking about maintained property...if someone is taking the time to maintain their property I should not let my dog use it as a bathroom. Even peeing on the edge as pee kills/burns lawns.

I don't have a right to use even a vacant lot and if there is a sign telling me to keep off I will do that. If it isn't a maintained vacant lot I'll take my chances and let my dog do their business and I clean it up.

Your dog should never be on someones maintained lawn in the first place.

Old 07-10-2014, 03:20 PM

1,406 posts, read 2,388,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drunkwithwords View Post
I didn't say anything else. I just pick up Mar's poo and walk away. Part of me gets it. Who wants a dog doing is business on their lawn?

Of course, I'll try to have Mar go somewhere else, but am I supposed to designate certain spots for Mar to go? I didn't think it was a big deal as long as I picked it up.

I don't think there's anyway to clean up the mess completely. Sure, you may pick up what you see, but (being a complete germaphobe), it would bug me knowing that there's still a mess in the yard. It bugs me when others let their animals go to the bathroom in my yard because I have no way of knowing if their dog is worm-free.

Old 07-10-2014, 11:02 PM

3,574 posts, read 13,093,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmachina View Post
Yea, we should just live in a sterile land where people lay plastic tarps down under all animals that unload outside. .... possibly make contact with an animal germ /gasp!
#1. I actually do this - I carry newspaper and place it during the unload. I have a Rottweilor, so I use a doubled page then fold it into one of those cheap grocery bags.
#2. When my youngest son was a toddler, he contracted an infection that ultimately cost him his vision in the right eye. We discovered that the people who lived in our house years prior to us never bothered to clean up after their dogs. Here are a few more: Parasites of Domestic Animals - Encyclopedia of Life

Old 09-06-2016, 04:21 PM

14 posts, read 7,046 times
Default Your dog, your problem

Quote:
Personally, I don't see a big issue for my dog to pee on someone's lawn.
That is irrelevant, it is private property and it is not your property. Those of us who are horticulturally inclined do not need your dog and 5,000 other dogs killing our flowers and such by urinating one after the other our yards.

Keep your dog off private property unless you have prior permission from the property owner. Anything less is uncivil and criminal (2nd degree trespassing).

Like most dog owners you seek to impose the burden of your dog on other people. The rest of us are under no obligation to shoulder the filth, the stench, and the damage imposed by your irresponsible behavior.

Old 09-06-2016, 04:24 PM

1,829 posts, read 2,722,953 times
Quote:
I don't understand how it's rude when I have no control over my dog's bodily functions, especially when we go on long walks. Am I supposed to just keep on tugging him when nature calls? That's reversing all the work I put into potty training him.
Can you let him do his business in your back yard before going on the walk? That is what I do with my dog.

Old 09-06-2016, 05:35 PM

7,046 posts, read 4,084,290 times
Yep, our walks don't start until our dog has already done his business in our yard. Still bring a couple bags just in case.

Old 09-06-2016, 05:56 PM

5,308 posts, read 2,754,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
Your own lawn would be the best in my opinion.
We love animals and have them but we never allow our dog to leave any gifts in someone else's lawn.
It is just rude, even when picked up.
I wish I could rep you a hundred times! We tried to have our dogs poop on our own property, when we had them. Despite the fact that it wasn't 100% successful (especially after we moved, for some reason), most of the time they did indeed go on our own land. And we always picked up the poop, no matter where it happened.

If most of dogs' pooping was done on their owner's yard, the ones that didn't make it would not be nearly as nasty. The stuff leaves a stink no matter how meticulous the owner is, and then other dogs repeat the act. Some of the repeaters' owners are either too lazy or NOT THERE to pick it up. That head-down, fast stride far away from an unleashed dog is a dead giveway. And it is also obvious that some owners are deadset on making sure the dog poops anywhere BUT their own property.

Last edited by pikabike; 09-06-2016 at 06:04 PM..

Old 09-06-2016, 06:01 PM

5,308 posts, read 2,754,696 times
Quote:
I'd say I've done a pretty good job with training my dog. He walks right next to me and knows not to trample on gardens and flowers. I honestly didn't realize this was such a huge deal for people, mainly because I've seen dogs poop and pee on lawns my whole life. I never thought, "Wow, what a jerk dog and dog owner!" I always just prayed that they would clean up after themselves, because I would end up cleaning it if not.

I'm glad to understand other perspectives. I'm finding that humans tend to be just as interesting as dogs.

I never realized people would get so butthurt over poo. Just be glad I'm not the one defecating on your lawn. I'd leave a toilet paper trail. And no, I wouldn't pick it up.
Be glad that disgusted neighbors don't poop on YOUR yard and leave used tp there. Push their buttons hard enough and it could happen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or