U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-09-2014, 09:43 PM

442 posts, read 1,334,695 times

Advertisements

So I adopted my husky when she was approximately 1-3 years old. She is a possible husky mix. She is now approximately 9-12 years old. I've never had any serious health problems with her aside from weight fluctuations. She just started slowing down in the past couple of years, but still plays and fetches the stick just fine, but not as long now.

I started to notice a lump on her belly (vet says its her belly button/button area) about 3 years ago,maybe 5. It had grown considerably over the years and is now the size of a whole walnut shell, if measuring from the surface.

It doesn't seem to bother her..although she is sleepy a lot more now..not sure if its age or due to the lump. The vet checked it out & did labs..suspected it's a hernia but wanted to be sure its not cancerous. She explained a biopsy could show noncancerous in one area and another biopsy could show cancerous in another area. I had one lab done and it showed benign/not cancer.

I just don't know if I should go through with surgery for hernia? I don't want her to be in pain...but I'm also scared for surgery since she's never been through anything like that before..and now especially at her age. She is a very anxious dog to begin with. I know we are limited to the years we have with our best friends..I just don't want her in pain, I want her to be comfortable.

Right now I don't know how much, if any, pain she is in as dogs do not really show that. The size is just really concerning me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2014, 10:35 PM

12,387 posts, read 31,343,833 times
Fatty tumor wouldn't worry me but you do realize her bowles can get out the hole of a hernia she could have a very painful death.

Old 07-10-2014, 12:57 PM

4,704 posts, read 10,126,357 times
What does you vet say? Is this an uncomplicated or complicated hernia? What are the chances of some abdominal tissue pushing through the hole and becoming strangled which would then be very painful and very serious? What is the recovery from such a surgey like? Is the dogs health good enough that you really would not have to worry about her surviving and doing well after the surgery. I would get answers to those questions.

At 12 my late Jazz had a golf ball sized Nerve sheath sarcoma ( cancer) on the front of her chest it was well hidden by her double coat. While old she was in fantastic shape, very active and her labs were great so despite her hating being away from me and the fact she HATED vets she had surgery to have it all removed. The vet had to do some digging as that type of tumor has fingers that go down deep. He was going to keep her over night but after the surgery he decided she would be happier at home with me and he also knows me well so he had me pick her up that evening. She was still sleepy as for some reason anesthesia took a long time to get out of her system even when she was young and was spayed. When she was spayed they said she would be normal by dinner time but she wasn't and the next morning she was stumbling and rather out of it and I thought she had had a stroke but later that day she was fine. She did fine with the surgery and the only downside was due to her age and having a double coat the fur on her chest where they shaved her never grew back. A groomer later told me that is common in older double coated dogs. I decided it was her badge of courage just as a bald head on a human undergoing chemo should be looked at as a badge of courage

At age 14.5 she developed a swollen eye and it turned out she had a salivary gland tumor and it caused her eye to rupture but it self sealed right away but was a painful condition. She was still very healthy and active. Six months prior my vet had said if he had not known her since she was a puppy and I had walked in with her he would have thought she was 6 or 7. The surgery to remove such a tumor would be brutal and she would loose a huge chunk of her face and she would have had to spend a few days in the ICU. Despite the fact that she was my once in a life time dog and meant the world to me I loved her too much to expect her to have to deal with all that. It was just too much to ask of a best friend so I made the very difficult decision to put her down and while she argued with me about going back inside the vets as she felt we should get in my car I knew in my heart it was the right decision.If she could she would have thanked me.It broke my heart but I was at peace with it. She had been a fantastic dog and she deserved to die with some dignity and not have to deal with all that surgey . Surgey on old dogs depends on so many factors and you are the only one that knows if it would be right or wrong for your dog after you have the answers to the necessary questions.

Old 07-11-2014, 09:51 PM

442 posts, read 1,334,695 times
Thanks Dashdog. I just don't know...I feel my dog is in good health but I've never had to have surgery done. The vet didn't seemed concerned about it when first examined...two separate vets actually noticed it but didn't seem to imply that surgery was a priority. Its much larger though. Perhaps this weekend I will take her for another look. I'd hate for her to experience a painful death. That would kill me. Equally, I pray I never have to make that hard decision to let her go...I'm all kinds of choked up and sobbing here just at the thought. My gal is the same, anxious to be without me and even worse when alone with the vet. I could not imagine walking away from her like that, but I realize so many have to for the best of their dog. I'm happy that you are at peace and your baby is in Doggy Heaven living the dog's life. Thank you for sharing your story.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs