Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2014, 12:28 PM

19,764 posts, read 22,666,896 times

Advertisements

Delmarva Dog Care and Training

or;

Delmarva Dog Boarding and Training

I prefer to keep things easy to remember and distinct- tell them what you do in 5 words or less.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2014, 01:01 PM

19,517 posts, read 9,540,055 times
Pawz2Play?

Old 07-14-2014, 01:52 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,084,735 times
We take our dogs to Beth's Barks and Bubbles. No doubt about what business they are in. Something like Smith's Boarding and Training does not inspire me to want to try it out. DRY...BORING...NO FUN.

Old 07-14-2014, 02:41 PM

I'm the opposite. I tend to place last businesses with kitschy slogan names because I feel it exudes a lack professionalism.

Old 07-14-2014, 03:05 PM

Where is her business going to be located? What town? I quick searched Newark for dog care and found everything from 'Camp Bow Wow' to 'Furry Friends Pet Services' and everywhere in between.

What's her niche going to be? Daily boarding or training (or both). In other words- what does she want to be best known as? My friend just had my male German Shorthair for two months. His business trade name is 'Backcountry Bird Dogs'. He trains and raises bird dogs.

Old 07-14-2014, 04:19 PM

12,054 posts, read 23,349,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
Where is her business going to be located? What town? I quick searched Newark for dog care and found everything from 'Camp Bow Wow' to 'Furry Friends Pet Services' and everywhere in between.

What's her niche going to be? Daily boarding or training (or both). In other words- what does she want to be best known as? My friend just had my male German Shorthair for two months. His business trade name is 'Backcountry Bird Dogs'. He trains and raises bird dogs.
Her business will be in Newark. She will have a doggie daycare, boarding kennels, and will do obedience training. She doesn't really have a specialty, but the dog obedience will be for family dogs, some of whom will be boarding while they are being trained.

The difference in her facility is that she has land. Almost every facility has no outside play area and the dogs are either walked on leashes outside or unfortunately, go to the bathroom indoors. That is where her facility will be different.

Old 07-14-2014, 04:23 PM

1,829 posts, read 2,236,598 times
"A Breed Apart"

Old 07-14-2014, 11:09 PM

That is a good niche and one that should be exploited.

Old 07-15-2014, 07:33 AM

10,599 posts, read 17,896,657 times
The smart move is to put the city name and other key words in the business name.

I am a pet sitter and my company comes up FIRST on google rankings because I have the city name in my company name.

Avoid any non traditional words or spellings like "Luv" instead of Love.

Pretty much everything you can think of is already used somewhere in the country. You have to be very clever to think of something "new".

So make sure that if you're using an existing name, that it only exists in another state. And even so, you will find that THEY might come up on google instead of you. If the client doesn't put the city in the search.

A bad idea is to chose something "similar" to an existing company unless you're trying to get their business.

For example:

Existing: (I'm making this up, I have no idea if it exists) NEWARK PET CARE

You pick: NEWARK PET SITTERS

There's a million names to use - many exist in other cities/states:

Paw Prints of Newark (pawprints or paw prints?)

Newark Canine Country Club

Newark Country Pet Daycare and Boarding

She needs to incorporate or LLC FIRST with the state to make sure nobody else is using the name. In my state you do it online and can see the history of names.

She shouldn't pick a name that USED TO BE ACTIVE without researching that it didn't have a bad reputation or law suits etc.

That's why using YOUR LEGAL NAME is the best idea.

Something like:

John Doe's Pet Hotel of Newark Inc. or John Doe's Newark Pet Hotel Inc.

Old 07-15-2014, 10:11 AM

12,054 posts, read 23,349,004 times
Thanks, everyone, for your suggestions. She plans to make a decision tomorrow on the company name so I appreciate all of the input. I'll let you know what she decides.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs