Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-13-2014, 06:14 AM

1,320 posts, read 3,702,507 times

Advertisements

I have an 8 week old Springer Spaniel. Beginning yesterday, he seems to be scratching quite a bit. He goes out in the yard to potty and play. I haven't actually seen any fleas. Are they visible? He has an appointment this Friday any way. I haven't been scratching at all. Would they not get on me? What should I do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2014, 07:30 AM

3,513 posts, read 6,377,015 times
I'm not positive but I think that Springers are somewhat prone to skin conditions due to allergies. Those allergies may be to pollen and dust, food and of course flea bites. If you don't already own one buy a flea comb, they are just a couple of dollars.

If you are feeding an inexpensive grocery store brand of food try switching to one of the many high quality foods that you can find at most pet supply stores. Yes, it is more expensive but generally you feed a much lower quantity (and that has an added bonus of less poop to clean up) and the cost is also far less than repeated trips to the vet for treatment.

May you enjoy many wonderful, healthy years with your new pup.

Old 07-14-2014, 02:54 AM

16,488 posts, read 24,480,822 times
Usually the flea infestation has to get bad before you see them crawling on you. It could be a dermatitis, allergy, or some kind of skin ailment. Fleas are pretty easy to see. Hold your dog on your lap and keep parting its fur down to the skin. Do this all over his body, and if he has fleas you should see them. They are tiny (but you can visibly see them), dark colored, and they can jump.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs