U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2014, 07:21 PM

36,474 posts, read 43,582,608 times

Advertisements

Don't read this story. I wish I hadn't. Suffice it to say giving dogs away on CL is so very very dangerous. If you can't find a good home for your dog at least give it to a shelter where every effort will be made to rehome it or else put it down humanely. If you don't want nightmares don't read this story. But if you need convincing how some low lifes use CL for nefarious reasons...you are fairly warned. And I apologize for posting this but some people are so naive about how CL can lead to misery and death.

2 dogs in cruelty case adopted from Sparks woman
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2014, 10:26 AM

13,360 posts, read 7,347,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
Don't read this story. I wish I hadn't. Suffice it to say giving dogs away on CL is so very very dangerous. If you can't find a good home for your dog at least give it to a shelter where every effort will be made to rehome it or else put it down humanely. If you don't want nightmares don't read this story. But if you need convincing how some low lifes use CL for nefarious reasons...you are fairly warned. And I apologize for posting this but some people are so naive about how CL can lead to misery and death.

2 dogs in cruelty case adopted from Sparks woman
Despite the warning I read the first paragraph. That was more than enough. The face of that man is pure evil.

Old 07-16-2014, 11:54 AM

449 posts, read 335,963 times
Absolutely heartbreaking. I also thought many dogs "adopted" on Craigs List also tended to end up in labs being tested on or being used for baiting/fighting.

Please find a rescue or a shelter. This is just horrific.

Old 07-16-2014, 12:06 PM

14 posts, read 28,536 times
Yes it's ashame some people have that ability to do such a thing to a helpless animal. I have adopted my dog off Craigslist and the guy we bought our dog from didn't want him because he got another dog. We paid the rehoming fee for $30, he came with a cage and his blanket, I'm glad we made that decision because I feel like I saved an animal from being harmed. He must have not been in a good home because he was always scared and wouldn't eat in front of us, we noticed we had to place his food in his cage in order for him to eat, every little noise made him jump, he is very good with kids though. I have 4 children and my youngest being 10 months old he's always lays with him, sometimes even share his food with him...it's been 3 months now that we have had him in our home and we take him to parks, walks, family events. He's like family.

Old 07-16-2014, 12:09 PM

24,843 posts, read 32,306,457 times
I would put our dogs down before I would let anyone have them.

Even if they do go to a good home......you never know what would happen from there.

Old 07-16-2014, 12:22 PM

13,360 posts, read 7,347,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shello Bello View Post
Yes it's ashame some people have that ability to do such a thing to a helpless animal. I have adopted my dog off Craigslist and the guy we bought our dog from didn't want him because he got another dog. We paid the rehoming fee for $30, he came with a cage and his blanket, I'm glad we made that decision because I feel like I saved an animal from being harmed. He must have not been in a good home because he was always scared and wouldn't eat in front of us, we noticed we had to place his food in his cage in order for him to eat, every little noise made him jump, he is very good with kids though. I have 4 children and my youngest being 10 months old he's always lays with him, sometimes even share his food with him...it's been 3 months now that we have had him in our home and we take him to parks, walks, family events. He's like family.
Thank you for saving your little guy.

Old 07-16-2014, 12:40 PM

14 posts, read 28,536 times
I have to say it was the best choice I made. He brings happiness to our family!

Old 07-17-2014, 01:03 AM
ZSP

1,568 posts, read 4,158,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post

Even if they do go to a good home......you never know what would happen from there.
As much as it pains me to say this...I agree with you. Pains me because I have five really, really nice, well behaved and smart dogs. To think they could be abused, tortured and worse makes me ill. There are many things worse than humane euthanasia.

Old 07-17-2014, 06:48 AM

7,000 posts, read 10,240,778 times
Yes, this is what can possibly happen when you give away dogs for free. Craigslist is a good place for low-lifes, animal abusers, dog fighters, and those looking to make money from research labs to find pets for free. People tend to take better care of something they have to invest in. Animal torturers and those selling to research labs are not going to want to pay a rehoming fee. Charging a rehoming fee is also a way of weeding out people who cannot afford a pet.

Old 07-17-2014, 07:34 AM

36,474 posts, read 43,582,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post

I completely disagree. Why put down a perfectly healthy dog just because of the worse possible scenario. There are wonderful ways to make sure your dogs go to good homes if you cannot care for them. You can visit prospective homes, get references from their vets to see how they have taken care of any current or previous pets, ask for permission to talk to neighbors both present and past. Or even better yet support a local rescue with a good reputation so you know they will do those things and more to rehome your dogs. I would move heaven and earth to find good homes for our pets if I had to way before I would put them down just because of fear.

People bashed Ellen Degeneres for giving away a rescue dog, Iggy, to her hairdresser when it didn't work out. But they- Ellen and Portia signed a contract saying if the dog didn't work out they would return him to the rescue. When the rescue -in a rather disgusting way- stormed into the hair stylist's home to reclaim the dog, the cops were called and the little girls in the family were devastated. But the rescue was only trying to maintain the safety and future of the dog. They surely could have done it in a better way but Ellen messed up big time.

My last rescue was microchipped with the rescue's name and address on it---not mine. And that was done when they already had checked us out and it was all set for us to pick him up. They explained this was done to let them know if the dog was ever dumped or lost. I had no problem with that cause they know how to get in touch with us and it showed me they really care about their animals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or