Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2014, 11:36 AM

6,952 posts, read 22,679,222 times

Advertisements

The dog was found the morning of July 5th near a popular fireworks display site that had an event the prior night. The dog was posted on Craigslist, the local shelter, and at the apartment offices around the site where found. No one claimed. A female purebreed dog that had been bred looked like a few times due to the saggy breasts (but not nursing). We took her to the vet and she had no chip. Vet said she is under 3 years old. We kept her for 5 days, and posted her everywhere we could. She had a bad rash and the most disgusting dirty ears. Otherwise in good condition and heartworm negative.

She is now with a rescue group for her breed. She has been vaccinated and is awaiting her spay.

Just yesterday there appeared a missing dog posting with the local shelter for a dog missing from the location we found her only the date indicated missing is July 10th -- 5 days following our dog's appearance. Same gender, same breed, but listed as 5 years old, no photo. Do you think we should pursue this missing dog report?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2014, 02:23 PM

7,372 posts, read 14,673,832 times
yes i think you should. If it were my dog i would want someone to aware me

Old 07-23-2014, 02:33 PM
ZSP

1,765 posts, read 5,118,385 times
I think you should...but it's your call. I've found a few dogs over the last few years and I explore every avenue out there to find the rightful owner...most newspapers will run a free add for lost/found pets. I also contact local vet offices and put posters in businesses in the area. The 4th of July holiday is very stressful for animals and this one could have traveled quite a distance.

I know some will say...no chip, no tags...no proof. Even my local animal control says this and I vehemently disagree. I think due diligence is mandatory to find the rightful owner...and if none is found, then rescues or even turning the dog over to the humane society is a good thing to do.

I'm not making excuses for negligent pet owners. But maybe the 'next day' would have been payday and the dog would have been taken in for a chip...or a checkup and city license. You just never know. It certainly won't hurt to explore this new lead.

I'd be heartbroken if someone gave up so easily in reuniting my dog with me. My five dogs are all chipped and duly registered/licensed with the city but don't wear their collars with tags unless we leave the house to walk or travel.

edited to add...this may not be your call but the rescues. Let us know what happens.

Old 07-23-2014, 03:09 PM

13,388 posts, read 6,434,576 times
I would contact them and let them know where the dog is.

Not sure how the dates would be mixed up but possibly there is a reason.

If nothing else, even if its not their dog, perhaps if they cant find theirs they will adopt the dog in rescue.

Old 07-23-2014, 03:16 PM

17,400 posts, read 11,967,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondy View Post
I would contact them and let them know where the dog is.

Not sure how the dates would be mixed up but possibly there is a reason.

If nothing else, even if its not their dog, perhaps if they cant find theirs they will adopt the dog in rescue.
Years ago I volunteered with a rescue group, and was fostering a little dog that had been found wandering loose. The group looked and looked for 2 weeks for the owner, but nobody showed up. About a month later, I happened to see a lost ad in the paper. I called, and sure enough, it was their dog.

When I returned him, they told me that they had been on vacation, and that one of their's brothers was watching the dog and the house. The dog had gotten out, and the brother never told them until they came home weeks later. He had screwed up, and didn't want them to find out until they came home. Luckily, it turned out OK.

Old 07-24-2014, 02:15 AM

13,926 posts, read 39,275,326 times
Date could be they were out of town & the dogs caretaker didn't let them know when the dog went missing. Please Contact them let them know where the dog is!

Old 07-24-2014, 05:37 AM

9,352 posts, read 20,021,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirl View Post
The dog was found the morning of July 5th near a popular fireworks display site that had an event the prior night. The dog was posted on Craigslist, the local shelter, and at the apartment offices around the site where found. No one claimed. A female purebreed dog that had been bred looked like a few times due to the saggy breasts (but not nursing). We took her to the vet and she had no chip. Vet said she is under 3 years old. We kept her for 5 days, and posted her everywhere we could. She had a bad rash and the most disgusting dirty ears. Otherwise in good condition and heartworm negative.

She is now with a rescue group for her breed. She has been vaccinated and is awaiting her spay.

Just yesterday there appeared a missing dog posting with the local shelter for a dog missing from the location we found her only the date indicated missing is July 10th -- 5 days following our dog's appearance. Same gender, same breed, but listed as 5 years old, no photo. Do you think we should pursue this missing dog report?

nope

if she IS the dog they are looking for, why did they wait nearly THREE weeks to start looking for her?? and they were NOT taking care of her .... she deserves better and will get it where she is.....

Old 07-24-2014, 09:38 AM

6,952 posts, read 22,679,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by latetotheparty View Post
nope

if she IS the dog they are looking for, why did they wait nearly THREE weeks to start looking for her?? and they were NOT taking care of her .... she deserves better and will get it where she is.....
This is the foster mom's position. When she first took in this dog, her assessment was "I hope the owner never turns up. A collar and no tags, no chip, and she's had puppies a lot......"

Also that her ears were so disgusting, she had a rash, and had been bred.....

but since I was one of the people who found the dog, I am conflicted....

Old 07-24-2014, 09:40 AM

9,352 posts, read 20,021,771 times
I understand your position.... but if it was me, I would do what was best for the dog..... doesn't sound like she received very good care with her previous people.....

Old 07-24-2014, 01:47 PM

14,376 posts, read 18,362,447 times
I'd be inclined not to contact them. But there is a small chance that the rash developed after she escaped and that the breedings took place before she was with her current owner.

But still ... her situation was likely not very good.

Go with your gut.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs