U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2014, 11:59 PM

346 posts, read 286,574 times

Advertisements

I blame the media. It's the in thing to consider pits a bad breed. Pit bulls weren't always considered a dangerous breed. 20-25 years ago, rottweilers had a bad name. Now, no one bats an eye at them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2014, 04:39 AM

14,798 posts, read 31,215,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dig In View Post
I blame the media. It's the in thing to consider pits a bad breed. Pit bulls weren't always considered a dangerous breed. 20-25 years ago, rottweilers had a bad name. Now, no one bats an eye at them.
It's not that Pit Bulls are more likely to be aggressive than other dogs, the problem is that IF they do bite they can do more damage because of their strong jaws and their tendency to "latch on".

I work in animal control and I'd estimate about 20-25% of our intake is Pit bulls or Pit-Lab mix. The other most common breeds are Black Labs, Dachshunds, and Chihuahuas.

Old 08-07-2014, 02:23 PM

1,752 posts, read 1,646,335 times
I love mine to death, but she's a mix, not purebred APB or Am Staff.

She's a rescue, but I got her very young. I have a Shar pei Lab mix too, and these two are inseperable buddies. They play very rough together (wrestling), and play well with the neighborhood dogs they know. We have several that come regularly for play dates with my two.

Taffy is a marshmallow with people, and really likes kids (they taste like chicken!) (OK I went there), especially younger boys who are willing to throw balls, chase, run, and generally rough house with her. The boys enjoy the play as much as Taffy does.

She can be "iffy" and somewhat agressive with new dogs, but when properly introduced, she is fine. She can't be allowed to meet new dogs without carefull supervision, but as I said above, once properly introduced, no issues.

IMO, Pit bulls in all their varieties are probably not the best dog for a first time dog owner or a weak dog owner because of potential dog aggression, although that can be easily mitigated by an owner that is knowledgeable aboout dogs and dog training.

I have not seen one here (Hawaii has a very high % of Pits, pit mixes, and other Bully breeds/mixes) that was people aggressive without a corresponding J@cK@ss owner that abused the dog and encouraged aggresion toward people - dog aggression is part of the breed charactreristics/history, but in my experience, people aggressive pits were trained to be that way either through violent abuse, neglect as a yard dog (6" heavy chain to a tree or pole, outside 24/7, with no significant interaction with people), or thought out/planned agressiveness training.

Old 08-08-2014, 07:36 AM

71,717 posts, read 83,329,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
Breed specific laws are not the answer. The answer is to enforce animal cruelty laws, shut down dog fighting rings and try to train and rehome these dogs when they are confiscated. Many people love their pibbles and The Huffington Post is giving these owners a voice.

We Asked What Your Pit Bull Means To You. Here Are Your Answers.
We do not have one but our granddaughter and family have had 2, both were recue dogs and not pure bred, but looked Pit Bull. One has gone to heaven, she was the sweetest dog in the world. The other, Tank, is about 9 and loves everyone, including their 2 little girls. The youngest girl is two and our other great grandson (the cousin) is 18 months. They climb on Tank, chase him, and play with him. He could care less. His only bad habit is he still, as old as he is loves to jump on people.

Old 08-15-2014, 05:28 AM

7 posts, read 6,409 times
I got my baby from a rescue shelter. She is so docile and affectionate, sometimes too suffocating, all she wants is love. The pit bulls have terrible reputations, only because ignorant, disgusting human beings breed them for fighting, etc and think it gives them some sort of cred. I used to hate the breed and couldnt understand why people even thought about owing one, specially if one has kids. It all boils down to how the animal has been raised. They really are amazing, loyal, and will love you unconditionally if you treat them with the love and respect they deserve.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs