U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2014, 08:02 PM

112 posts, read 219,620 times

Advertisements

Is this brush good for a husky?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...rianhuskies-20
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2014, 08:16 PM

3,181 posts, read 7,022,099 times
Have you tried a furminator?

Old 08-06-2014, 09:37 PM

621 posts, read 1,037,900 times
A furminator won't help much with a huskies coat- this is what I used when grooming professionally Amazon.com : Undercoat Rake W/1 In Teeth & 5.25 In Wood Hndl : Pet Dematting Rakes : Pet Supplies

Old 08-06-2014, 09:59 PM

2,967 posts, read 4,164,019 times
A large Mars Coat King is probably the best tool available. They are made in Germany and are very expensive, but will last a few lifetimes.

Anyone buying one needs to research the proper model used for your breed's coat and learn how to properly use it without over using it and balding the dog.

Next in line would be the Furminator, but the Mars Coat King blows that away even. The Furminator also needs to be used cautiously so the skin is not injured.

Old 08-06-2014, 10:26 PM

9 posts, read 10,033 times
We use a standard rake followed by the furminator. The rake gets most of it, but the furminator certainly does help in certain areas of the coat. Do be careful though, depending on your dog's skin sensitivity. If he has sensitive skin, just stick with the rake.

If you do decide to purchase a furminator, make sure you buy it through their website or Petsmart/Petco (or other Furminator retailers--you can check their website). Other sites claim to sell them (such as Amazon), but most of the ones they send out are not authentic. A fake furminator is less effective and the blades are not positioned correctly, so they are far more painful and more likely to result in bleeding and irritation.

Old 08-07-2014, 04:27 AM

5,501 posts, read 8,829,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogmama50 View Post
Have you tried a furminator?
I had great luck with the Furminator. I had an American eskimo dog that it worked well with. It also works well with beagle type dogs.

Old 08-07-2014, 06:01 AM

621 posts, read 1,037,900 times
Another tip for dogs with Husky like coats.... when you are giving them a bath and while all soaped up- get a slicker brush or rake, and give them a good going over. Not only will you really work the soap all the way into the coat, you will get gobs and gobs of hair out of them!

This also works wonders on dogs like Labs that seem to shed non stop! You can also use a rubber curry type of brush. Have a bucket there to dump all that hair into.

Old 08-07-2014, 08:00 AM

4,704 posts, read 10,124,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dualie View Post
Another tip for dogs with Husky like coats.... when you are giving them a bath and while all soaped up- get a slicker brush or rake, and give them a good going over. Not only will you really work the soap all the way into the coat, you will get gobs and gobs of hair out of them!

This also works wonders on dogs like Labs that seem to shed non stop! You can also use a rubber curry type of brush. Have a bucket there to dump all that hair into.

I used this method and when dry an undercoat rake on Phoenix who had a very dense collie coat and Jazz who had a shorter but very dense double coat . When they would start to blow their coat we would go to the self grooming place.They would get a bath with a rubber curry type brush so at the baths end there was a ton of hair in the tub, then a good blow dry and brushing with the undercoat rake got a ton more out so living with them was bearable. I used the undercoat rake at home .

Old 08-07-2014, 01:07 PM

4,005 posts, read 4,544,805 times
I think the OP was trying to get some free advertising revenue since they clearly have a husky-20 ad tag on this link, its an affiliate link.

That said I have a olde english bulldogge who sheds a ton and I have had the furminator and everything else out there and the best I have found is the $6 or $8 Kong rubber brush. May not work as well on a longhair dog as short hair but I love the thing.

Old 08-07-2014, 07:47 PM

2,707 posts, read 5,349,543 times
I use a comb on my Sibes. I brush small sections at a time, and groom only for a few minutes per day. I like the comb because it let's me control the hair, and it always gets the tufts. I have a Furminator, but I'm not a big fan of it for my Sibes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs