U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2014, 12:29 PM

1,149 posts, read 798,327 times

Advertisements

Thanks, mrazyattic. She's doing a lot better, although her skin is sloughing off some where he wound is. That is a bit worrisome, but I'm doing what I can to keep it clean. I have heard of some type of shot to reduce risk from snakebites- I'll have to look into in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2014, 08:21 AM

11,818 posts, read 15,428,530 times
I'm not sure if they have a copperhead vaccine. I know they have rattlesnake vaccine.
Glad to hear the dog is doing better!

Old 08-17-2014, 06:16 AM

5,499 posts, read 8,826,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
I'm not sure if they have a copperhead vaccine. I know they have rattlesnake vaccine.
Glad to hear the dog is doing better!
If you have copperheads in the area you have rattlesnakes. You need to have the dog get protection from both.
I believe the vaccine works for copperheads.
New Rattlesnake & Copperhead Vaccine | Cleveland Park Animal Hospital - Travelers Rest

Old 08-17-2014, 11:15 PM

5,792 posts, read 9,252,275 times
So glad your dog is recovering. Sadly, our Sweetie didn't. A month ago she was bitten on the nose by what appears to have been a Green Mojave rattler, and it cost her her life. We still have a hard time dealing with it.

But here's what the tragedy has taught us, and it may be of use to others: This may be oversimplified, but generally,there are two kinds of poisonous rattlers, those with hemotoxin, and those with neurotoxin. Your dog was obviously bitten by a hemotoxin snake: the bitten part swells up, there's nausea and vomiting, and a lot of pain, but bigger dogs usually recover. Our Sweetie, who was 90 pounds and a healthy 8-year old, was injected with a poison 100 times stronger, the neurotoxin which affects the breathing. There is no anti-venin that can guarantee survival after a neurotoxin bite, because it depends on which species of snake has attacked the dog, and that's why a neurotoxin vaccine is also iffy at best. Hemotoxin vaccines are probably much more successful, but they don't offer any protection again neurotoxin bites. Our vet had advised us not to get Sweetie vaccinated, because the vaccine is also risky.

The rattlesnake avoidance training may be a better bet, but it has to be repeated every 2-3 years. Sweetie had had some training, and knew the snake rattle well enough to keep her distance, but we think she was surprised by the snake. Our whole back yard is triple-fenced against snakes--but she was bitten in the front yard.

So could something have been done to prevent it from happening? We will probably be asking ourselves that question for years...

Hug your dogs and tell them you love them. Treasure each day you spend together...

Old 08-18-2014, 07:18 AM

11,818 posts, read 15,428,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Fork Fantast View Post
So glad your dog is recovering. Sadly, our Sweetie didn't. A month ago she was bitten on the nose by what appears to have been a Green Mojave rattler, and it cost her her life. We still have a hard time dealing with it.

But here's what the tragedy has taught us, and it may be of use to others: This may be oversimplified, but generally,there are two kinds of poisonous rattlers, those with hemotoxin, and those with neurotoxin. Your dog was obviously bitten by a hemotoxin snake: the bitten part swells up, there's nausea and vomiting, and a lot of pain, but bigger dogs usually recover. Our Sweetie, who was 90 pounds and a healthy 8-year old, was injected with a poison 100 times stronger, the neurotoxin which affects the breathing. There is no anti-venin that can guarantee survival after a neurotoxin bite, because it depends on which species of snake has attacked the dog, and that's why a neurotoxin vaccine is also iffy at best. Hemotoxin vaccines are probably much more successful, but they don't offer any protection again neurotoxin bites. Our vet had advised us not to get Sweetie vaccinated, because the vaccine is also risky.

The rattlesnake avoidance training may be a better bet, but it has to be repeated every 2-3 years. Sweetie had had some training, and knew the snake rattle well enough to keep her distance, but we think she was surprised by the snake. Our whole back yard is triple-fenced against snakes--but she was bitten in the front yard.

So could something have been done to prevent it from happening? We will probably be asking ourselves that question for years...

Hug your dogs and tell them you love them. Treasure each day you spend together...
Oh my gosh.. So sorry about that. That's my biggest fear with my GSP's, that they get tagged by a rattler while out hunting.

We've done the avoidance training and I pray they never encounter one.

Old 08-19-2014, 06:53 PM

1,149 posts, read 798,327 times
@Clark Fork Fantast
I am so sorry to hear about your dog. I can imagine how extremely upsetting that would be- I know how upsetting just the worrying was when mine got bitten, I would've been heartbroken if she died, and it must have broken your family's heart to lose a dearly loved dog. I hear that those green mojaves bites are quite serious. I think I've heard that they are the most dangerous snake in the U.S. Thanks for your well-wishes and don't blame yourself for what happened to your girl, you did the best you could to protect her.

Old 08-22-2014, 01:55 PM

5,792 posts, read 9,252,275 times
Thanks for your kind words, Threerun and Gfab. It's a situation we have dreaded might happen, even with our precautions, but we really weren't prepared for the shock of it. I guess nobody is...

Old 11-16-2016, 01:14 PM

3,912 posts, read 2,552,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coonhunter2016 View Post
my coon hound was bitten by some kind of snake not sure what kind but he was bitten on the ear it swelled really bad and he didn't want to let me touch it i didnt see any wounds when i noticed the swelling so i put some vitamin c on the ear and immediatly the next morning i seen drainage and it had a bad odor and the hair was gone from around the wound leaving two bite hole marks in his ear he wouldnt eat nothing but he was drinking water walking around alert and using the bathroom it was runny and he urinated well i gave him penicillin and put chicken broth down him cause he wasn't eating didnt want him to get dehydrated then he started eating soft canned dog food after swelling went down which is all the way down now but he is back to not eating and it is day 5 of this i live on a budget income and this is my little boy's dog he hunts him when its season to hunt but he had to of got bitten while he was on the chain cause he aint been out any yet how do i get his appitite back to get him built back up with strength he lost alot of his weight cause he wont eat he only would eat two or 3 bites and stop
There is no need to post the same thing on multiple threads. The answers you receive will not change.
The dog needs to see a vet and get medical care. It doesn't sound like this is anything that can be fixed by a home remedy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or