U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-14-2014, 09:35 AM

748 posts, read 1,039,755 times

Advertisements

It does not seem to be bothering him, it is about 2 inches long. I did a little reading about treatment, I think there are basically 3 options, aspiration with a needle to drain it, I read they usually fill up again. Surgical procedure or let the body just absorb it. My concern is his age and putting him under any medications that will sedate him.

Anybody had a dog get one of these, suggestions? Thank you
Attached Thumbnails
My senior has gotten a Hematoma-screenshot.316.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2014, 10:50 AM

1,325 posts, read 2,829,087 times
Back quite a few years ago I worked for a vet and we saw a fair number of these. He would aspirate as you said with a needle, using only a local anesthetic and then put in a few sutures to hold the pocket together to prohibit it from filling right up. The owner would have to massage it a bit as well so no new fluid was aloud to puddle in that area. The procedure only took a few minutes and so safe for a senior without discomfort.

You said it does not seem to bother him and I don't think there is pain involved but rather a feeling of pressure. Most people said they noticed the animal shaking his head or pawing at the ear. If it were me, I would take him to the vet have it drained as dogs tend to be pretty stoic about things like that and he might not be showing how it really feels. I would also have him checked for an ear infection to see it was the cause of some major ear scratching that resulted in the hematoma to begin with.

Old 08-15-2014, 04:09 AM

Okay, thank you for your post. Its time for his senior check up here in a month, so I will take him in sooner.

Old 08-16-2014, 09:45 AM

449 posts, read 335,505 times
One of mine had one - since I have bulldogs, I don't put them under unless it's absolutely necessary. It was aspirated once but filled back up. They aspirated second time, it worked. I'd make sure there isn't an underlying cause for why it happened, though. Like shaking his head from an ear infection.

Old 08-16-2014, 10:14 AM

3,339 posts, read 7,543,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SocalPitgal View Post
It does not seem to be bothering him, it is about 2 inches long. I did a little reading about treatment, I think there are basically 3 options, aspiration with a needle to drain it, I read they usually fill up again. Surgical procedure or let the body just absorb it. My concern is his age and putting him under any medications that will sedate him.

Anybody had a dog get one of these, suggestions? Thank you
Well, it will only get bigger, so I'd recommend either the draining or the surgery. You don't say how "senior" your dog is, but our boy was 13 when he had a NINE pound hemotoma/spleen mess/mass removed. And...it was discovered while he was under anesthesia for a dental procedure. Couldn't remove it then because he had been under long enough already, so he had the surgery three days later. We were very surprised how quickly he recovered.

If you can keep draining it, that would be the best option, though. Way easier on your dog and way easier on your checkbook.

Old 08-17-2014, 03:01 PM

As Tina mentioned it will only get bigger and it certainly has. I have called the vet and made an appt. The vet said he would put the dog on some steroids, I need to check as I don't think he can while the dog is on NSAIDS, Remadryl. I have read so many bad things that can happen, along with the refilling, infection. The dog is 13 maybe 14.

Old 08-18-2014, 07:33 AM

3,413 posts, read 5,106,232 times
My first black lab had one when he was a couple of years old. It's been probably 18 years ago so I just don't recall what the vet did to treat it but he never had a recurrence.

I just wanted to wish you and your boy a great outcome/resolution to this asap.

Old 08-19-2014, 12:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zugor View Post
My first black lab had one when he was a couple of years old. It's been probably 18 years ago so I just don't recall what the vet did to treat it but he never had a recurrence.

I just wanted to wish you and your boy a great outcome/resolution to this asap.
Thank you. It happened when I was cleaning his ears, with ear wash, he waddled (as he doesn't run very good these days, much slipping and tripping) over near the bed and did a head shake, hit the ear flap a few times on the frame of the bed. Ouch.

Old 08-19-2014, 08:46 AM

3,339 posts, read 7,543,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SocalPitgal View Post
As Tina mentioned it will only get bigger and it certainly has. I have called the vet and made an appt. The vet said he would put the dog on some steroids, I need to check as I don't think he can while the dog is on NSAIDS, Remadryl. I have read so many bad things that can happen, along with the refilling, infection. The dog is 13 maybe 14.
I wish him the best, too. It can be so challenging to deal with multiple issues that require meds that interact badly. Maybe your vet can prescribe a non-NSAID. There are some good ones out there now, but the Rimadyl has to be out of his system before they can be started. That takes about 5-7 days. Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs