U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2014, 05:58 PM

36,848 posts, read 45,276,927 times

Advertisements

I used to feed my dog some table scraps, in her dish only, as long as I cut back on her dry food in proportion. If its good enough for the family, I assume its good enough for a dog. Better than anything she would gleefully steal out of the trash can, or worse, given the chance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2014, 01:34 AM

11,814 posts, read 15,400,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
When I was child, our dog, an English Shepherd/Border Collie mix ate 90% table scraps, never had a health problem and lived to be almost 15 years old. Grandma's chow mix also ate this way, loved watermelon and fruits, and lived to be almost 17 years old without health problems. Both dogs had shiny coats, clear eyes and ears.

Our dogs eat a medium priced dog food. I give them eggs, fruits and vegetables and our chow mix loves baby carrots. They both like cooked cauliflower and broccoli. Both dogs are over 9 years old and have zero health issues so................ If it works, I have no intention of changing it because someone publishes an article, etc.
I agree- don'e mess with what works.

About once or twice a month get a whole chicken, rotisserie it, eat our fill of it then I pull off as much of the remainder and put it in a container. Then we boil the carcass to render chicken stock. When finished straining the stock, I pick out all the cartilage, bone and other nasties and toss them then add all the rest of the edible stuff to that container. It's our dogs favorite treat.

Old 08-31-2014, 01:45 AM

1,181 posts, read 2,566,936 times
First FOOD IS FOOD!!!!! some so-called human food is good for dogs and some isn't. Just giving a dog, for example, cooked chicken and rice every day is not good, occasionally would be fine. the best diet is a properly done raw diet but that takes time to learn ( or you can use pre-mixed raw but that can get expensive). It's not hard but it's not just throwing meat into the dog's bowl either.

If you want to feed raw (or even cooked, good but not as good as raw) there are sites to help you such as rawfeddogs.net, Leerburg, and some Yahoo groups. But, it is better to feed kibble than to do raw carelessly.

Btw, our 3 dogs are fed raw so i am definitely pro-raw feeding.

Old 08-31-2014, 04:29 AM

1,212 posts, read 1,847,930 times
There seems to be conflicting beliefs about the "proper" diet for a dog, whether it be kibble or raw. The next time we babysit the dog i'll try to switch some things around so he isn't eating chicken and rice every single day, but i anticipate getting some pushback from my SO… and the dog!

Old 08-31-2014, 06:45 AM

10,604 posts, read 14,097,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arrieros81 View Post
There seems to be conflicting beliefs about the "proper" diet for a dog, whether it be kibble or raw. The next time we babysit the dog i'll try to switch some things around so he isn't eating chicken and rice every single day, but i anticipate getting some pushback from my SO… and the dog!
Yes it's a very controversial topic with some dog people.

The difference is, you are the PET SITTER one month a year.

It's not YOUR dog.

The fact that you said "YOU'LL" try and "switch some things around" and expect pushback from your SO is odd.

Why not just iron it out with the dog's OWNER?

Diarrhea for a month is the problem, not the choices the owner makes (albeit they are goofy if they think their dog is getting a balanced diet from exclusively chicken and rice)

Of course if the "owner" is your kid or something that's a different story I guess.

Old 08-31-2014, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by runswithscissors View Post
Yes it's a very controversial topic with some dog people.

The difference is, you are the PET SITTER one month a year.

It's not YOUR dog.

The fact that you said "YOU'LL" try and "switch some things around" and expect pushback from your SO is odd.

Why not just iron it out with the dog's OWNER?

Diarrhea for a month is the problem, not the choices the owner makes (albeit they are goofy if they think their dog is getting a balanced diet from exclusively chicken and rice)

Of course if the "owner" is your kid or something that's a different story I guess.
Kind of a complicated situation I guess, but basically the dog's owner is the brother of a guy my so used to work with. My so does actually know the couple who own the dog and the wife doesn't like him for whatever reason, so she definitely does not know that we're the ones babysitting the dog and not her brother in law; her husband knows we have their dog. It's sort of a win win... The owners get to go on vacation for a month, the brother in law doesn't have to take care of his brother's dog, the dog gets more attention and care from my so and me because we alternate working from home, and I get to enjoy temporary dog ownership. So the information that I'm getting about how to feed the dog is 2nd hand or third hand since it goes from the dog's owner to the brother to my so to me. I don't know who is saying what about feeding the dog chicken and rice on a daily basis.

Old 08-31-2014, 09:02 AM

2,719 posts, read 1,673,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
Those of us who have dogs can't help but give snacks and scraps to our canine buddies but is it good for them? I once asked this question of a Vet and he said that everything a dog needs is in a bag of good quality dog food. The occasional snack of people food is OK but not to make a habit of it. I have known people to feed their dogs on a regular basis lunch meat, meatballs, milk, and all sorts of things. These same owners often say "my dog will eat nothing else" Of course not why would he?
My ridiculous sister in law was over last week with her new dog and she gave him some dry food that he turned his nose up at. My dogs gobbled their dry breakfast right up and I could see it on their faces "what is wrong with you not eating?" "Can we have it?"
Well since the dog wouldn't eat my whacko sister in law prepared her dog a poached egg with brocolli ! Yeah she is NUTZ. I told her what the Vet had told me years before but she wouldn't listen. I know this is a common occurence with her, the dog won't eat the dry food so she makes him something "better"
Can I tell her she is making a mistake?
Yes, she is making a mistake. If you or she reads up on how to fix properly nutritious homemade dog meals, you will see that it is time consuming and complex because dogs are a different species from humans, they require different nutrients in different amounts than we do, and most people aren't even capable of properly feeding themselves on a daily basis, let alone making a diet that will keep their dogs in good shape. Add to that the situation that some foods that are fine for humans are not good for dogs, and you have a recipe for indigestion, illness and a shorter lifespan than if she just purchased a high quality dog food brand manufactured in the good old USA and let her dog get hungry enough to eat it.

I have two greyhounds that are in great shape and we feed good quality dry dog food, dog treats, a little sourdough bread and sometimes some high quality yogurt, rarely anything else. We give them their food in two feedings, at 8AM and 5PM, and they gobble it down because they aren't getting a choice of, "Oh if we just turn up our noses at this, we'll get some human food that tastes better." For a dog, human food is the equivalent of us going to McDonald's, fine now and then in small quantities, but a killer if that's all we eat.

Old 08-31-2014, 09:56 AM

1,728 posts, read 1,321,812 times
Like I said in another post I think it is fine if dogs eat dog food, but to say that human food for dogs is like going to McDonald's? If anything, dogs eating dog food is like them eating junk food.
I have been feeding raw for 10 years, before that I fed cooked. I don't stress out about what I feed. It is not time consuming at all and not complex. My pets are fine. The pet food industry would love people to think that feeding pets anything but dog food is bad. Before dog food pets used to eat normal food and were fine, but all of a sudden it's bad for them?
And although I prefer to feed raw, I have a friend who feeds her dog only cooked chicken and rice. The dog has been eating this since he was a puppy, he is now almost 20 years old.

Old 08-31-2014, 11:00 PM

22,496 posts, read 16,657,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arrieros81 View Post
Kind of a complicated situation I guess, but basically the dog's owner is the brother of a guy my so used to work with. My so does actually know the couple who own the dog and the wife doesn't like him for whatever reason, so she definitely does not know that we're the ones babysitting the dog and not her brother in law; her husband knows we have their dog. It's sort of a win win... The owners get to go on vacation for a month, the brother in law doesn't have to take care of his brother's dog, the dog gets more attention and care from my so and me because we alternate working from home, and I get to enjoy temporary dog ownership. So the information that I'm getting about how to feed the dog is 2nd hand or third hand since it goes from the dog's owner to the brother to my so to me. I don't know who is saying what about feeding the dog chicken and rice on a daily basis.
This is all very unfair to the dog. No one knows who said what, and who is watching the dog, and the dog is the one paying for it. If that dog is fed kibble, and then when you take him, your SO throws cooked chicken and rice at the dog, it's no wonder the dog has an upset stomach. You can't just change the dog's diet overnight. Any change in diet should be gradual.

You need to find out, for sure, 100%, EXACTLY what the owner feeds that dog, and you need to feed that same food to the dog. It's not your dog, you aren't the one who gets to decide to make changes in the dog's diet.

I misunderstood, I thought this was your SO's dog. For the sake of the dog, find out what the owner feeds that dog, and don't change the diet, it's not your right.

Old 09-01-2014, 06:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
This is all very unfair to the dog. No one knows who said what, and who is watching the dog, and the dog is the one paying for it. If that dog is fed kibble, and then when you take him, your SO throws cooked chicken and rice at the dog, it's no wonder the dog has an upset stomach. You can't just change the dog's diet overnight. Any change in diet should be gradual.

You need to find out, for sure, 100%, EXACTLY what the owner feeds that dog, and you need to feed that same food to the dog. It's not your dog, you aren't the one who gets to decide to make changes in the dog's diet.

I misunderstood, I thought this was your SO's dog. For the sake of the dog, find out what the owner feeds that dog, and don't change the diet, it's not your right.
What I do know is that the owners must give rice at least to their dog, because every time we get the dog they also send a large bag of rice along with his bed and things. They do provide kibble as well; we set the kibble out for him during the day, and he helps himself whenever he feels like it. He doesn't have an overeating problem.

The thing about the chicken and rice is, that the owners used to have another dog at the same time that we babysat, him and a female who passed away, and she ate the same cooked chicken and rice as he did, with absolutely no digestive problem at all, it was just him.

From what I've been told, yes second or third hand, is that the dog has been to the vet many times because of the digestive problem and no solution has been found. He even got gas from organic home baked treats. And I do believe that the owners also have an issue with the dog having gas from whatever food they give him, because we sent them the bottle of digestive enzymes that we had been giving him, and from what I heard they were really happy with it.

I'd feed the dog nothing but kibble, see how he reacts to it, and gradually introduce other foods to see how he deals with it. The real problem is that I have an extremely opinionated and strong willed partner who is also an experienced dog owner, who just knows that the kibble is full of poisons and toxins and that natural homemade food is better.

I might be able to try to feed the dog raw meat with bones.... But honestly that idea scares me. If he's already having an issue with cooked chicken how can raw chicken be any better? Not to mention a choking hazard from the bones I'd rather hear it from a veterinarian, not just someone who says they know it is better because that's what they feed their dogs. The vet will probably just say feed him kibble, and here we are back to square one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs