U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2014, 01:02 PM

11,641 posts, read 8,158,888 times

Advertisements

Those of us who have dogs can't help but give snacks and scraps to our canine buddies but is it good for them? I once asked this question of a Vet and he said that everything a dog needs is in a bag of good quality dog food. The occasional snack of people food is OK but not to make a habit of it. I have known people to feed their dogs on a regular basis lunch meat, meatballs, milk, and all sorts of things. These same owners often say "my dog will eat nothing else" Of course not why would he?
My ridiculous sister in law was over last week with her new dog and she gave him some dry food that he turned his nose up at. My dogs gobbled their dry breakfast right up and I could see it on their faces "what is wrong with you not eating?" "Can we have it?"
Well since the dog wouldn't eat my whacko sister in law prepared her dog a poached egg with brocolli ! Yeah she is NUTZ. I told her what the Vet had told me years before but she wouldn't listen. I know this is a common occurence with her, the dog won't eat the dry food so she makes him something "better"
Can I tell her she is making a mistake?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2014, 01:04 PM

35,121 posts, read 40,004,782 times
Our Walter doesn't think people food is bad for him but we don't give him absolutely everything we eat.

As far as the sister in law goes, you can tell her anything you want but don't expect her to change how she does things just because you think it is a bad idea.

Old 08-22-2014, 01:06 PM

1,699 posts, read 3,537,860 times
There was some good discussion about this topic in these threads:

People food

People Food Really Is TERRIBLE For Dogs

Old 08-22-2014, 01:23 PM

71,682 posts, read 83,272,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
Those of us who have dogs can't help but give snacks and scraps to our canine buddies but is it good for them? I once asked this question of a Vet and he said that everything a dog needs is in a bag of good quality dog food. The occasional snack of people food is OK but not to make a habit of it. I have known people to feed their dogs on a regular basis lunch meat, meatballs, milk, and all sorts of things. These same owners often say "my dog will eat nothing else" Of course not why would he?
My ridiculous sister in law was over last week with her new dog and she gave him some dry food that he turned his nose up at. My dogs gobbled their dry breakfast right up and I could see it on their faces "what is wrong with you not eating?" "Can we have it?"
Well since the dog wouldn't eat my whacko sister in law prepared her dog a poached egg with brocolli ! Yeah she is NUTZ. I told her what the Vet had told me years before but she wouldn't listen. I know this is a common occurence with her, the dog won't eat the dry food so she makes him something "better"
She is whacko alright. Ok, so most vets tell us to not offer people food or be very careful what we offer. Then we think about how our grandparents raised their dogs. It is a whole different story. I have to admit, our little kids love their nummies. Does this mean we are not careful with what they get? Of course not, but there are things they love, I don't think it hurts them, their main source of food in dog food, so we will continue to give them their people treats.

Should you tell whacko she is making a huge mistake? How important is your friendship? Do you have to spend a lot of time with sister in law, will it cause family friction? I just don't know if it is worth it? I probably would not, but I understand how you feel.

Old 08-22-2014, 06:37 PM

43,012 posts, read 92,013,162 times
Healthy people food is good for dogs, except for specific things that are dangerous for them.

Junk food, fatty foods, spicy food, isn't good for dogs or people.

Old 08-22-2014, 07:16 PM

71,682 posts, read 83,272,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Healthy people food is good for dogs, except for specific things that are dangerous for them.

Junk food, fatty foods, spicy food, isn't good for dogs or people.
let me ask, though it probably belongs someplace else, where in the world do you get the idea spicy foods are not good for humans? If a person has a problem with them, it is best not to eat spicy foods, but for the average healthy person with no digestive problems there is absolutely nothing wrong with spicy or hot foods. Fatty foods and junk foods will really not damage humans if eaten on occasions but should be only a special treat...not part of any regular diet.

Old 08-22-2014, 07:24 PM

43,012 posts, read 92,013,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
let me ask, though it probably belongs someplace else, where in the world do you get the idea spicy foods are not good for humans? If a person has a problem with them, it is best not to eat spicy foods, but for the average healthy person with no digestive problems there is absolutely nothing wrong with spicy or hot foods. Fatty foods and junk foods will really not damage humans if eaten on occasions but should be only a special treat...not part of any regular diet.
I was lazy in my wording that sentence. I added spice, deleted it and added it again. I didn't want to bother clarifying that spices was only for dogs and junky and fatty foods was for both people and dogs. For the purposes of this this thread about dogs, it's accurate that junky, fatty, spices are bad for dogs.

Old 08-23-2014, 07:00 AM

22,576 posts, read 16,721,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
That vet is full of it. Bag of dog food provides all the nutrients a dog needs? B.S. Keep in mind, most vets get only one course on nutrition when they are in school, and often times that course is sponsored by....take a guess? That's right, a dog food company.

I feed my dogs "human" food all the time. They get raw. Raw meat, bones, organs. That's their main meal. Been doing it since they were puppies...going on four years and they are healthy, shiny fur, clear eyes, no ticks, no fleas, no ailments, strong immune system, and their teeth are very white, even four years later. Every so often, I'll give them some eggs, raw, and I'll throw a carrot at them since they seem to love them so much...but those are snacks, occasional snacks.

That garbage inside a bag of "dog food" is scraps, sometimes metal pieces, wheat that they don't need, corn meal that they don't need, a whole lot of chemicals that they don't need, and other bits that you wouldn't believe until you take the time to do some reading up on what, exactly, is in that bag of dog food. Even the "higher quality" brands.

Your best bet is TO FEED your dog human food over that trash in a bag. Of course you don't want to feed them lunch meat, it's loaded with salt. They don't need milk. Your sister giving your dog an egg is not as "whacko" as you think. She didn't even need to cook it, but I do understand that some prefer the BARF diet over raw. Her giving her dog an egg is much healthier for that dog than the nuggets of crap inside that bag.

Old 08-23-2014, 07:26 AM

22,516 posts, read 28,429,142 times
What is bad for dogs is treats to the point that the dog gets fat. Over-feeding is the biggest problem with feeding human food.

My dogs get home cooked food, which means that everything they eat is the same stuff that the people eat: the same meat that I cook for my family, the same fruit and vegetables, the same rice, quinoa, oats......

My dogs don't eat chemicals, cheap fillers, or food from China.

Old 08-23-2014, 08:32 AM

1,728 posts, read 1,324,922 times
I have been feeding my dogs and cats raw meat for 10 years now. I also give them raw egg yolk. They do get supplements as well.
There is nothing wrong with feeding dog food if that is what someone prefers to do, but I would not, especially dry food.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs