Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-23-2007, 08:19 PM

903 posts, read 3,578,669 times

Advertisements

Hi. I picked up a rescue off of petfinder.com today. The ad said bichon but I think she is mixed-don't care as long as she is hypoallergenic. We met at a busy public place (she did seem shy at the time but it was busy), she was in a foster situation, and since having her home she has her tail between her legs a most of the time except when I took her outside to play-those were the only times (outside)that I saw her behave playfully or puppylike. I got her some different kinds of bones and she doesn't seem to know what to do with them. ALso, she seems incredibly shy-she does perk up when my other dog comes around her. I will take her to the vet either tomorrow or weds and I want to keep her. Do you think some of these behaviors sound normal for a rescue( I've had others before non rescue)-she is 6 months old-I never went this route before and felt like I wanted to stay away from the pet stores since hearing about the puppy mills. I am just used to more playful and outgoing puppies. Please tell me what you think and your experiences. Thanks-Amy
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2007, 08:26 PM

2,493 posts, read 4,396,923 times
It takes a long time for a rescue to adapt to it's new home. Can you imagine how you would feel if you'd been living on the street or in an abusive situation and were suddenly brought into a warm home with strangers? You would feel disoriented, scared, and distrustful. You need to give your new dog plenty of time and space and love.

When I first got my dog, she would not sleep with me. She did not know how to walk up the stairs. It took a long, long time for her to come around.

Old 12-23-2007, 08:29 PM

10,757 posts, read 35,426,246 times
I think it sounds very normal. I adopted a cat a year ago via petfinder and it has taken him a little while to come out of himself.

I would heap love and affection on the little dog, pet her often, talk to her like she is human, always be cheery. Anything to have more contact with her. My impression of these foster places is while they try to take care of the animals best they can, you can only do so much when you have so many animals. Her basic needs may have been seen to but the love and affection that every animal needs to be properly socialized may have been lacking due to sheer lack of time on the part of the foster family.

I keep my pets close to me, they sleep with me if they want and I love to have them on my lap and in my arms. I think the more contact you have with your pets like this, the more attached they are to you and the happier they are. I carry them around the house like babies and talk to them in baby talk or normal talk depending on my mood. I praise them, brush them and do anything I can to interact with them. I love playing with them and getting them to interact with each other as well so no one feels left out. I even make up songs and sing to them, making sure to use their name over and over again in the song.

I have a dog who is a rescue, she wanted to have puppies badly but of course she was fixed at a young age. She loves cats and wants to Mother them but they are not so sure. I catch one of my cats and hold it down for her and she will start licking him to give him a bath. It's hysterical.

Old 12-23-2007, 08:43 PM

Thanks-its encouraging. By the end of the night she would wag her tail when I spoke to her-I'm big on talking to my dogs. As soon as she gets a little older and trained she'll join us in the bed. For now she is gated in the laundry room with a couple of mushy blankets to lie on, toys to chew and the radio is on softly for her. I'll keep you posted on her progress.

Old 12-23-2007, 08:49 PM

2,493 posts, read 4,396,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amyla View Post
Thanks-its encouraging. By the end of the night she would wag her tail when I spoke to her-I'm big on talking to my dogs. As soon as she gets a little older and trained she'll join us in the bed. For now she is gated in the laundry room with a couple of mushy blankets to lie on, toys to chew and the radio is on softly for her. I'll keep you posted on her progress.
My last two rescue dogs slept in my bed with me the first night I got them. It made them feel more secure. Every dog is different. My current dog preferred to sleep on the floor at first.

Old 12-23-2007, 09:32 PM
miu

17,766 posts, read 40,152,606 times
I've had two shy rescue dogs. It takes time for them to settle into their new surroundings and begin to trust their new owner. Just be consistent in your behaviour with her, try not to startle her and don't stare into her eyes. Just be relaxed and treat her as invisible for most of the day. Trying to make a direct connection to a shy animal too soon is very stressful to them. Once she comes around, she will be very devoted to you.

Even with my pug, the first time I put her on my bed as a puppy, she crawled away from me! Eventually, she was always under the covers with me being the little spoon.

Old 12-23-2007, 09:44 PM

10,757 posts, read 35,426,246 times
If she is going to sleep in the laundry room, you might consider giving her a t-shirt with YOUR scent on it as part of her bed.

Old 12-23-2007, 09:57 PM

768 posts, read 2,100,274 times
One thing to consider is that she doesn't know that she is "home." I took in a rescued dog that had traveled a great distance and he didn't know that I was the "last stop." lol My feelings were kind of hurt and I at first worried that he didn't seem to like me, but it was that he had been through so many hands in the previous week and didn't know he was supposed to get attached to me. Once he realized that this was "it" and he felt comfortable with his surroundings, he bonded with me and ibecame my shadow.

She probably got used to her foster home and isn't sure why she's been given up again. Give her time and love, she'll come around. Your talking to her will help reassure her that she isn't doing anything wrong and you're happy with her.

Old 12-23-2007, 10:47 PM

I'm definetly going to add the shirt tomorrow.thanks.

Old 12-24-2007, 03:02 AM

314 posts, read 719,045 times
This all sounds very normal for a rescue-I do occasional rescue for my breed. There was one Christmas I went with a friend and got 2 dogs from WI -when we got them home they didn't understand treats, toys or even being petted. It took about a week to 10 days before they really settled in. Seems like they were expecting to be hit or abused again. Just about broke my heart, but the change made it all worth the effort. Today these guys are spoiled rotten and loving life! It will help that you have another dog-she will take her cues from your dog for a while. This is where being a pack animal can help the adjustment. Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs