U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-26-2014, 12:51 PM
 
Location: Northeastern U.S.
1,465 posts, read 889,265 times
Reputation: 2914

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molli View Post
Get what you want. Don't let someone try to guilt you into getting a rescue. I'd probably try to take a couple of days off work (or a few afternoons or mornings) around a weekend when I got the pup to give it some training time. That is what I've done in the past -- large breeds tend to be able to hold it a little longer and I think are easier to potty train.

I had a neighbor, many years ago, who worked several hours every day; and managed to successfully raise a sweet Golden Retriever pup. She hired a dog walker to come in twice a day, and came home herself at lunch; and the pup was crated between outings. Eventually, the pup was housebroken and became trustworthy outside of a crate when the owner was out; though a dog walker still came to take the dog out once a day.

If you don't want to deal with a full-time job and a young pup; maybe try getting a dog from Golden Retriever (breed) rescue; though I'm not sure that the breed-specific rescue groups will place a dog with you if you're away more than 8 hours a day and don't plan to have a dog walker or a neighbor take the dog out while you're at work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-26-2014, 01:18 PM
 
2,321 posts, read 2,479,445 times
Reputation: 2645
Quote:
Originally Posted by Regina14 View Post
I had a neighbor, many years ago, who worked several hours every day; and managed to successfully raise a sweet Golden Retriever pup. She hired a dog walker to come in twice a day, and came home herself at lunch; and the pup was crated between outings. Eventually, the pup was housebroken and became trustworthy outside of a crate when the owner was out; though a dog walker still came to take the dog out once a day.

If you don't want to deal with a full-time job and a young pup; maybe try getting a dog from Golden Retriever (breed) rescue; though I'm not sure that the breed-specific rescue groups will place a dog with you if you're away more than 8 hours a day and don't plan to have a dog walker or a neighbor take the dog out while you're at work.
A dog walker is a fantastic idea. I'd never raised a pup while being away all day long, so that is a really good suggestion of yours.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-26-2014, 01:21 PM
 
16,722 posts, read 14,633,057 times
Reputation: 41117
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anon9648 View Post
I was thinking about another Golden retriever. Maybe today or tomorrow I will check out some shelters and see what they have. I am just very skeptical about adopting an older dog. Like I've said, I've heard both good and bad stories. These stories are from friends and family. But, I'll take a look around and just.go from there.
Get a Golden from a Golden rescue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-28-2014, 09:02 AM
 
449 posts, read 336,802 times
Reputation: 1002
Guilt him into getting a rescue LOL It's a common sense idea for someone who may not have time for a puppy.

Of course, OP, you'll get what you want. I've adopted and gotten puppies from a reputable breeder. I love all of them equally but I have to say, my rescues just seem more appreciative than my spoiled-from-birth grown puppies.

Puppies aren't perfect, either. You said you raised one before but I think it's easy to forget the work involved. I often look at puppies through rose tinted glasses but remind myself of the hell it was to potty train with a full time job. And regular training - will you have time for that? Both puppies and rescues will benefit from it. And last but definitely not least, taking time to love it.

My advice is, just make sure you're ready - emotionally, financially and have the time. Even if you don't rescue, nobody needs another "too much to handle puppy" in the system

Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-28-2014, 09:32 AM
 
3,339 posts, read 7,556,118 times
Reputation: 4250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anon9648 View Post
I was thinking about another Golden retriever. Maybe today or tomorrow I will check out some shelters and see what they have. I am just very skeptical about adopting an older dog. Like I've said, I've heard both good and bad stories. These stories are from friends and family. But, I'll take a look around and just.go from there.

Reality check. Having a puppy is like having a baby. Actually, it IS having a baby. We adore our Aussie mix dog, now 18 months old -- but I am SO GLAD he is growing up. That was a very difficult year, especially since we had become so accustomed to two teenaged dogs. Teddy has grown into a well behaved little character, but wow -- I often stop and wonder "what was I thinking???"

Look in a good shelter with a reputation for fostering many of its dogs and working with them to make them good family members and good citizens from the start.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-28-2014, 03:40 PM
 
10,604 posts, read 14,150,780 times
Reputation: 17199
I agree with TinaMcG.

Anyway, If you go on Petfinder you will see there are a ZILLION dogs of all ages even classified as "baby" or "young" in rescue.

Even Labs even Goldens.

But a GOLDEN is a HIGH ENERGY dog and I really do not recommend locking a puppy up in a crate all day when you're working.

And even though I am a professional dog walker, that isn't always the answer because your breed was bred for WORK and the human is tired and not into it after work. And a dog walker is NOT going to run or walk your dog hard in SUMMER heat every day.

What ever you do do NOT get a Lab Pit Bull mix. Something CRAZY about that cross. They will NEVER EVER EVER run out of energy!

Senior dogs are the BEST. Often their owners died and they came from lovely homes and are very appreciative. The only down side is your grief when they pass away sooner than a puppy. I have an 18 year old still going strong, though. Guess what she was a STRAY found in a parking lot.

Why not VOLUNTEER at the local shelters on your days off. The perfect candidate may show up when YOu are ready.

You want a dog that matches YOUR energy and life style. It really doesn't matter what kind it's called.

Last edited by runswithscissors; 08-28-2014 at 03:48 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-29-2014, 12:12 PM
 
287 posts, read 407,163 times
Reputation: 681
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinaMcG View Post
Reality check. Having a puppy is like having a baby. Actually, it IS having a baby. We adore our Aussie mix dog, now 18 months old -- but I am SO GLAD he is growing up. That was a very difficult year, especially since we had become so accustomed to two teenaged dogs. Teddy has grown into a well behaved little character, but wow -- I often stop and wonder "what was I thinking???"
Glad I'm not the only one that questioned their sanity when getting a puppy.

I love my little girl to death, but it's rough sometimes and it requires a ton of constant training. She's 7 months now and in her "itchy adolescent" phase, so training is ramping back up and it's difficult. If I ever adopt again, it'll be an older dog.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:27 AM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top