U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-31-2014, 02:57 PM

25,393 posts, read 30,596,121 times

Advertisements

My dog has me scratching my head. If anyone says the word "squash" he runs around frantically looking for something then heads for the back door and begs to be let out and dashes around the yard. I have no clue what this is all about. We found this out when my daughter's friend called home to see what they were having for dinner and she repeated the word "squash".

Are there trigger words that make your dog behave funny? He will run IMMEDIATLY to the back door if you say "Squirrel" so he knows what squirrels are and where to find them. He looks where he is first for the "squash" so he's not thinking squirrel.

FTR he loves cucumbers (He had green poop for a while in early August because he kept eating them off the vine.)....I wonder if he'd like squash?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2014, 04:30 PM

13,289 posts, read 7,296,479 times
Sounds like he wants you to grow squash.

Old 08-31-2014, 07:46 PM

7,330 posts, read 13,128,510 times
That's hilarious! Could he possibly recognise the "squ" sound in squirrel and squash? The words don't seem the same to me but that's the only thing I can think of. Try squish and squeak and see what he does!

Old 08-31-2014, 10:19 PM

748 posts, read 1,036,075 times
Well, if I pick up my keys, both dogs run and sit by the front door, so I don't forget them when I leave.
When I make a squeal noise, the kind you make when you see a spider or a bug, or a lizard under a rock, my male runs over to where I am and starts looking for what ever I saw...

(these are a few things he learned without intentional training, which is kinda like what OP is talking about I think)

Old 08-31-2014, 10:52 PM

5,658 posts, read 6,487,692 times
Don't know how my Number 1 dog learned "Make an ugly face." It's not a phrase normally used around here. In fact I don't know if I've ever used it before my heeler dog, who was then a puppy, kept bugging the crap out of my Number 1 old dog who had been showing the patience of Job. I told her "make an ugly face." And she did. And she's done it ever since when I tell her to "make an ugly face." I always did believe though that she understands every word I say.

But then there's my heeler who is now two. She knows all the usual words, like ball, walk, sit and dancing, but how did she figure out "bring me a present?" She will search madly through her toy box for just the right present. She will sometimes pick one 'present' and then halfway to me decide that it isn't quite the thing for the occasion, and go back and bring me a different 'present.' I do say thank you. But how did she figure out what that meant? I don't get that many presents for that word to be common either around here. But she will only bring me presents.

There's no end to how impressed my young nieces and nephews are when I tell Nina to "bring me a present" and she brings me a squeaky duck, or maybe the octopus, or some other toy from her toy box.

Old 09-01-2014, 05:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by subject2change View Post
That's hilarious! Could he possibly recognise the "squ" sound in squirrel and squash? The words don't seem the same to me but that's the only thing I can think of. Try squish and squeak and see what he does!
He knows squeak because he has squeaky toys (he also tries to squeak people he meets - he squeaks his toys by pushing his nose into them against a hard surface instead of with his mouth. He pushes on people he meets with his nose to see if they squeak, lol.)

I'll have to try squish and see if we get the same response. I'm betting we will. It's close enough to squash.

Old 09-01-2014, 05:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
Don't know how my Number 1 dog learned "Make an ugly face." It's not a phrase normally used around here. In fact I don't know if I've ever used it before my heeler dog, who was then a puppy, kept bugging the crap out of my Number 1 old dog who had been showing the patience of Job. I told her "make an ugly face." And she did. And she's done it ever since when I tell her to "make an ugly face." I always did believe though that she understands every word I say.

But then there's my heeler who is now two. She knows all the usual words, like ball, walk, sit and dancing, but how did she figure out "bring me a present?" She will search madly through her toy box for just the right present. She will sometimes pick one 'present' and then halfway to me decide that it isn't quite the thing for the occasion, and go back and bring me a different 'present.' I do say thank you. But how did she figure out what that meant? I don't get that many presents for that word to be common either around here. But she will only bring me presents.

There's no end to how impressed my young nieces and nephews are when I tell Nina to "bring me a present" and she brings me a squeaky duck, or maybe the octopus, or some other toy from her toy box.
That's cute. Reminds me of my daughter's rabbit. Years ago we had a rabbit who would share his lettuce with her. He'd always give her a piece before he ate. Being 4, she ate the lettuce. It was cute though. I have no idea why he did that. We owned three rabbits and he's the only one that ever shared his food but it was just lettuce that got shared.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or