Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2014, 01:43 PM

5 posts, read 8,419 times

Advertisements

Hello,

Does anyone have any thoughts as to what this (attached photos) might be? FYI: I'm aware that the only way to know for sure is to biopsy, that you are most likely not a vet and will therefore only be making an educated guess, but I would appreciate your feedback nonetheless.

My current circumstances necessitate a very tight budget and my local vet loves to charge boatloads in unnecessary procedures by preying on people's worse case scenario fears. I think it will be helpful to combat against this wallet-sucking practice by having at least a surface-level amount of knowledge on the subject matter so I can at least ask the right questions to determine whether or not I'm getting snowballed. Thanks in advance folks.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/pictu...?dl=1409772894http://www.city-data.com/forum/pictu...?dl=1409772894http://www.city-data.com/forum/pictu...?dl=1409772894
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2014, 02:57 PM

10,599 posts, read 17,896,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveGSDS View Post
Hello,

Does anyone have any thoughts as to what this (attached photos) might be? FYI: I'm aware that the only way to know for sure is to biopsy, that you are most likely not a vet and will therefore only be making an educated guess, but I would appreciate your feedback nonetheless.

My current circumstances necessitate a very tight budget and my local vet loves to charge boatloads in unnecessary procedures by preying on people's worse case scenario fears. I think it will be helpful to combat against this wallet-sucking practice by having at least a surface-level amount of knowledge on the subject matter so I can at least ask the right questions to determine whether or not I'm getting snowballed. Thanks in advance folks.
That's funny. Can't even see anything in that picture and the "bump" is covered in fur anyway.

I applaud your honesty though. Admitting not even having a "surface level amount of knowledge" while being so ADAMANT that veterinarians are wallet-sucking predators.

The vet bashing thread is right this way.

Find yourself a Petsmart Banfield their prices are pretty standard and everything is computerized so you can spread OUT the criticism all over the country instead of blaming your poor local chump vet.

Lab fees are also quite standard and published. No Magic Eight Ball required.

http://www.animalhealth.msu.edu/Misc/AD.ADM.REF.005.pdf

WHY are YOU ALREADY refusing to biopsy is the question. Since you ALREADY PRESUME TO KNOW WHAT MAY HAVE TO BE DONE.

Last edited by runswithscissors; 09-03-2014 at 03:22 PM..

Old 09-03-2014, 03:49 PM

7,413 posts, read 6,228,856 times
Some breeds are prone to benign tumors. My poodle gets benign growths and has about six or seven flesh colored uneven lumps.

Vets will look at a lump right away, and know if it's benign or dangerous. You will probably only get charged for the visit. It's hard to tell with that photo, but if it bleeds spontaneously/continuously on the surface and doesn't heal that's a bad sign.

I agree with Petsmart Banfield option. They won't gouge you, they get enough business not to do that.

Old 09-03-2014, 03:50 PM

14,784 posts, read 24,086,869 times
that looks really bad and since I am an animal lover and would go without food for a couple of weeks to make sure this dog got biopsied . I don't understand how anyone who has an animal can say that they don't want to have it biopsied . I would want to know so we can get it cured or healed or what have you ... I am just that type of person though so I don't understand the ops way of thinking sorry .

Old 09-03-2014, 03:58 PM

5,094 posts, read 12,588,711 times
When I have taken dogs in for lumps the vet usually does a aspirate of the lump and some times right away he can tell it is probably just a fatty tumor but he will take a look at the fluid and if he feels it does not look right the next step is to send it to a pathology which is where the expense comes in. My late dog had a lump that the vet felt was a fatty tumor but there was something different about it at least I felt so . It was one of my vets partners.As she was doing the aspirate she kept saying she was certain it was just a fatty tumor yet she was having a difficult time getting any fluid from it but she still felt it was nothing. About 15 minutes after I got home she called to say it looked abnormal under the microscope and it was being sent to the pathologist. Turns out it was a nerve sheath sarcoma which can be an aggressive cancer so the pathologist recommended we talk to an oncologist right away and the oncologist said get her to surgery ASAP and remove a lot of tissue around it so hopefully you get clean margins. Which is what was done.

Sadly you can not tell by looking at most bumps what they are. The only bump I knew what it was the instant I saw it was on the same dog and there was a hole in the center of it and I knew right away it was probably a foxtail so called and told the vet and they had me bring her right in and she went right to surgery and they got that foxtail out without having to do a lot of digging.

Wish I could tell you what you want to hear but only tests will usually show what a lump is.

Old 09-03-2014, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by runswithscissors View Post
That's funny. Can't even see anything in that picture and the "bump" is covered in fur anyway.

I applaud your honesty though. Admitting not even having a "surface level amount of knowledge" while being so ADAMANT that veterinarians are wallet-sucking predators.

The vet bashing thread is[URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/dogs/2189105-fed-up-vets.html"] right this way[/URL].

Find yourself a Petsmart Banfield their prices are pretty standard and everything is computerized so you can spread OUT the criticism all over the country instead of blaming your poor local chump vet.

Lab fees are also quite standard and published. No Magic Eight Ball required.

[URL]http://www.animalhealth.msu.edu/Misc/AD.ADM.REF.005.pdf[/URL]

WHY are YOU ALREADY refusing to biopsy is the question. Since you ALREADY PRESUME TO KNOW WHAT MAY HAVE TO BE DONE.
Wow. Either your reading comprehension skills are breathtakingly poor or I failed to adequately explain myself. Since I only have control over the latter, allow me to clarify:

1) If you reread my post, you will notice that I referenced MY LOCAL VET. As in, a specific business with which I have personal experience (and thus a solid basis for my opinion) as opposed to a sweeping generalization of all practitioners in the veterinary field.

2) My issue is not an ignorance of pricing, rather the necessity of the procedures and medications for which I am being charged.

3) I never refused to submit my dog to a biopsy. This post is merely a "fishing" expedition in terms of what information may be of use when going to the vet.

We all make mistakes, so no big deal. However, in the future, try verifying what someone is saying before responding so abrasively---you might be surprised at how that one simple act can stop drama before it starts.

Last edited by LoveGSDS; 09-03-2014 at 05:16 PM..

Old 09-03-2014, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daylux View Post
Some breeds are prone to benign tumors. My poodle gets benign growths and has about six or seven flesh colored uneven lumps.

Vets will look at a lump right away, and know if it's benign or dangerous. You will probably only get charged for the visit. It's hard to tell with that photo, but if it bleeds spontaneously/continuously on the surface and doesn't heal that's a bad sign.

I agree with Petsmart Banfield option. They won't gouge you, they get enough business not to do that.
Yes, the vet I mentioned in my OP already told me it was benign (visual and manual inspection, no biopsy) but wanted to remove it anyway "just to be safe." After some pressing on my behalf, he admitted that the surgery was medically unnecessary and was mostly a matter of standard procedure at his practice, so I declined. However, this was over a year ago and the bump has since grown slightly, so that worries me a bit. In any event, I am keen to hear others' experiences and opinions before going back to the vet as I don't know any other dog owners who have dealt with this particular issue, so thanks for your response!

P.S. I have heard great things about Banfield, however the closest one is over 25 miles away and unfortunately my transportation options are very limited due to my disability. I plan on going back to my same vet because he is the only one in close enough proximity to my home that also has the space for me to navigate. The other two near me either lack ramps and/or wide enough doorways to accomodate my chair.

Old 09-04-2014, 01:11 AM

757 posts, read 1,328,799 times
A lump beneath the skin is more likely a tumor and a lump in the skin is more likely a cyst. Can you move the lump around? Is it hard or mushy feeling? Has it gotten larger since you first noticed it?

I totally understand about the vet, finances and turning to other people who have experienced something similar. I would start, if you have not already, spending time, doing research, look at images, do a google search in images, for "tumors on dogs, or cysts on dogs, lumps on dogs" try to find something visually that looks like yours. Go from there.

Old 09-04-2014, 06:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SocalPitgal View Post
A lump beneath the skin is more likely a tumor and a lump in the skin is more likely a cyst. Can you move the lump around? Is it hard or mushy feeling? Has it gotten larger since you first noticed it?

I totally understand about the vet, finances and turning to other people who have experienced something similar. I would start, if you have not already, spending time, doing research, look at images, do a google search in images, for "tumors on dogs, or cysts on dogs, lumps on dogs" try to find something visually that looks like yours. Go from there.
Thanks for your response. The lump is in the skin and it feels hard. Although the vet said it was benign and not an issue more than a year ago, the fact that it has gotten larger is what has me alarmed. I don't know if other owners of dogs with benign tumors/cysts/"bumps" observed their dog's bump get larger and it's just something that happens or if getting larger means it is not benign and my GSD will need surgery.

Yes, I am also doing a Google search on the issue in addition to inquiring here on CD-- I figure the more sources of opinions I can access the better.

Old 09-04-2014, 07:50 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,084,735 times
How old is your dog? I've had two elderly Bichons who got what we call Old Dog Bumps all over their bodies. Vets say they are warts. They bleed when we brush and drive us all crazy. Don't know if it is only in white dogs but I doubt it.
Also recently read something about hair follicle cysts recently. Can't find it now.
This isn't it but has some info.
http://www.petmd.com/dog/conditions/...ollicle_tumors
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs