U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2014, 09:35 PM

6,948 posts, read 19,404,346 times

Advertisements

We were on vacation last week and had our dog with us; it was a car trip and it was 70 degrees and dark outside - 9pm. We left the sunroof partially opened and ate at the only restaurant we could find when we stopped for gas-- a Denny's. We sat at a window with our car parked in full view and were in and out in 20 min. I was a nervous wreck also certain that someone would see the dog and freak out. He was just fine and we simply couldn't take him inside with us. But this window smashing stuff had me resolved that unless I could sit in full view of the car we just wouldn't eat that night.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2014, 10:01 PM

5,581 posts, read 7,483,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
You're talking about the windows closed. Nobody else is talking about the windows closed.

It won't rise to 90 degrees on an overcast day or if the car is parked in the shade.

They're not cold blooded reptiles. Animal Survival in Extreme Temperatures

90 degrees is the cut off for safe temps for dogs. In regions where 90 degrees is the norm for summer temps, outdoor dogs are to be taken indoors when temps go above 90 degrees. Temps 90 and below require shade and water. There's that word shade again.

I'm not advocating people leave their dogs in closed cars or in direct sunlight. You're just not taking into consideration that many of us are fully capable of determining when it's safe to take our dogs and when it's not. You've completely ignored my pointing out that overcast skies make a huge difference. Cracked windows don't keep temperatures down, but leaving all windows 6"-9" down and the sunroof cracked for hotter air to rise through the roof makes a big difference when parked in the shade. Having water available is a necessity.
But how many vehicles have a sun roof?
How many forget to leave the windows a bit open?
How many actually carry water on a short trip to the market or wherever?
Sorry, speaking of water, your opinion wouldn't hold water.
You are in capable on fully understanding the situation. or the dangers involved to a pet.
I would strongly suggest you get in touch with your vet, or local animal services, and ask them if being enclosed in a closed, or nearly closed up vehicle will cause your pet any problems.
The truth of the matter is, it could kill them.

Bob.

Old 09-10-2014, 11:34 PM

43,012 posts, read 92,061,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CALGUY View Post
But how many vehicles have a sun roof?
I only buy cars with sunroofs. They're not necessary but they do help.

Quote:
How many forget to leave the windows a bit open?
I always leave my windows open, and not just a bit. They're open as far as possible without a large dog being able to jump out. A good 9".

Quote:
How many actually carry water on a short trip to the market or wherever?
I keep a gallon of water stored in my car at all times. Don't you?

Quote:
You are in capable on fully understanding the situation. or the dangers involved to a pet.
You are incapable of understanding the difference between sunny skies and overcast skies. I'm fully capable of understanding the situation. I'm 50 years old and have owned pets my entire life. Every one of my pets lived extremely long lives. I'm fully aware of their wellbeing at all times. I gauge if it's safe for them to come with me based on the temperature, weather, cloud cover, type of trip, etc.

Quote:
I would strongly suggest you get in touch with your vet, or local animal services, and ask them if being enclosed in a closed, or nearly closed up vehicle will cause your pet any problems.
The truth of the matter is, it could kill them.
Ha! Our local animal services has metal trucks with metal doors and no AC or ventilation. Stray dogs are lucky to make it back to the shelter alive before the drivers are done collecting animals for the day. They're hardly the experts. I know more about taking care of dogs than those utter and complete minimum wage idiots.

Old 09-10-2014, 11:39 PM

43,012 posts, read 92,061,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirl View Post
We were on vacation last week and had our dog with us; it was a car trip and it was 70 degrees and dark outside - 9pm. We left the sunroof partially opened and ate at the only restaurant we could find when we stopped for gas-- a Denny's. We sat at a window with our car parked in full view and were in and out in 20 min. I was a nervous wreck also certain that someone would see the dog and freak out. He was just fine and we simply couldn't take him inside with us. But this window smashing stuff had me resolved that unless I could sit in full view of the car we just wouldn't eat that night.
It's such a shame that irrational crazy people make us fear having a meal after dark when it's perfectly safe.

Old 09-11-2014, 11:42 AM

2,512 posts, read 2,258,534 times
Quote:
Something none of you posting seem to realize is, in a day where the temp is 60 outside, in the sun, in a vehicle with the windows closed, or even cracked open, the inside temp could well rise to 90 degrees.
Bad idea leaving a pet in any vehicle at any time.
If the inside temp doesn't get them, perhaps a thief would.
Wake up people, either leave the pet at home, or take it with you when you exit the vehicle.

Bob.
I posted, or did you read it. So, don't include me in your generalized statement.

And your quote, "Those that will not listen must feel". Can be changed quickly to "Those that will not READ...."

There is NOTHING wrong with leaving a pet in a vehicle so long as the temps are ok inside the vehicle. In my case, I can't see someone trying to snatch a 100 lb dog. In fact, it is probably more likely that the dog will be snatched from someone's backyard since there are thieves that target specific types of breeds by driving around neighborhoods. That's why the extreme paranoid have privacy fences vs. chain link. (Actually was happening in MI a few years ago when I lived there...large breeds for testing purposes.)

And in SOME cases your belief in leaving the dog at home or take it with you cannot be applied. I travel a lot, I travel with my dog, and I stop for fuel, and rest areas. Never found a rest area yet that would allow me to bring my dog inside so that must mean I have to pee in the pet run with the dog? Correct?

And I also only purchase trucks/cars with sun roofs, and since I live in a desert, I carry a minimum of 5 gallons of water with me at all times in both vehicles.

Old 09-12-2014, 07:24 AM

87 posts, read 68,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1986pacecar View Post
No, this is ridiculous. This is a chart of what the inside temperature is inside your car. Read it and learn.
I dont leave the windows closed when my dogs are in the car and at most Im gone 5 minutes. Look Im not advocating leaving your dogs in a car for an hour but during the cooler months in the Northern parts of the US, it is ok to leave your dogs in the car with the windows open for 10-15 minutes. Its mid-September and the high today will only be 72. Plus the sun is simply not as strong up here as it is in the Southeast or Southwest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs